Celebrity Best Price Guarantee

readyforacruiseagain

My earlier thread was deleted so I'll be less confrontational (or sarcastic) this time in my question/comment.

I booked on-line with Celebrity, though another very popular site advertised the same cabin/cruise at 10-14% less.

Not big money, but I did mention it when I booked to the Celebrity agent and it fell on deaf ears. She told me there was no 12 hour hold due to when I was booking so had to be paid in full. I decided to not start going back and forth as I had airfare to book too.

I then asked here if there was anything I could do and was not admonished but somewhat chided to some extent for asking and being cheap (my perception of the post) and no clear answer. I was not going to get too bothered over a few hundred $'s.

Then I am looking at the Celebrity Site and see BEST PRICE GUARANTEE and yes am a little perturbed that when I booked and mentioned it nothing was said and that here no one said there is a Guarantee and to call back.

Yes my fault, but I thought this is what sites are for.

Edited by readyforacruiseagain

In your case, it sounds as though the best price guarantee did not apply.

The "best price guarantee" means that you (or your travel agent) can monitor prices Celebrity ITSELF advertises to the general public. IF your cruise price drops on their website before your final payment, you can make a request for Celebrity's new lower cruise fare and/or current promo offers.

It does NOT mean that Celebrity matches a lower price you find advertised elsewhere by a travel agency online, in the newspaper, etc.

So no, there is nothing you can do for this particular booking. For future bookings, you can choose to book with that agency offering a 10-14% discount.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I have gotten Celebrity to match prices the TAs show on websites but the BPG does not apply to any discounts not offered to the general public. Thus it is worth little. Captains club, over 55, military or a TA sale and promotion - none of those apply.

As Chris said what does apply if booked with X is a general fare drop before final payment and somewtimes if you complain to several people a drop afterwards. Generally get my TA (they reward loyalty) to offer something in the 5% area for refundable OBC.

I have gotten Celebrity to match prices the TAs show on websites but the BPG does not apply to any discounts not offered to the general public. Thus it is worth little. Captains club, over 55, military or a TA sale and promotion - none of those apply.

As Chris said what does apply if booked with X is a general fare drop before final payment and somewtimes if you complain to several people a drop afterwards. Generally get my TA (they reward loyalty) to offer something in the 5% area for refundable OBC.

And as said when I booked the other site had a lower price that I mentioned to the agent and she just seemed to ignore it. When I asked for a hold (and this is 7 weeks prior to the cruise) so I could compare she said they couldn't. Of course they were still selling cabins today......

Again just asking for clarification and what exactly Best Price Guarantee means....

Several people have answered your question multiple times on this thread and others, so I'm not sure why you keep asking it. The answers seem pretty clear to me. Ultimately, it's a decision for Celebrity to make. There is a form you can submit to ask for consideration from Celebrity. Asking about it here is going to get you the same answer you've been getting for several days now.

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/best-price-guarantee

Several people have answered your question multiple times on this thread and others, so I'm not sure why you keep asking it. The answers seem pretty clear to me. Ultimately, it's a decision for Celebrity to make. There is a form you can submit to ask for consideration from Celebrity. Asking about it here is going to get you the same answer you've been getting for several days now.

Well you're smarter then me. Either the site's Best Price Guarantee is to meet or be better then a TA is what I asked here. Caribbean Chris says it does not mean that if a lower price is advertised that they will meet it. You're telling me that is clear?????

I explained that I felt pressured to book (no 12 hour hold and when you have to secure airfare too it can get complicated).

When Walmart or any chain says they will match a price it is very simple. You show them the add and they reduce the price.

Not the case here.....

I'm booked, I'm excited and just was asking a question.

The process is to fill in and submit an online claim form via their website within 48hrs. If you were 7 weeks out you would only be eligible for an OBC according to the policy as it was after the final payment due date. This is something you could read on X's website

Just curious - if you found a better price elsewhere, why did you book directly with Celebrity?

Because I'm stupid?????;):rolleyes:

I've booked before and got a 12 hour hold. I was searching and also looking at airfare and need to ensure they line up (and here too you have no idea how many seats are available). Spouse wanted to get away (as do I), but if I screw it up, heck to pay......

Then I am deciding US or Cdn $'s (have US account)......

Called Celebrity and we went through it all and they would not give me a 12 hour hold. Of course that scared me that they are low on cabins (do I know?) and panicked as opposed to going back and forth.

I stand corrected - it's great to know you got them to match an agency website price.

Bottom line for the OP - different people on this forum have different booking scenarios resulting in different experiences on just about any topic.

You need to talk to Celebrity, not to us.

Well you're smarter then me.

Because I'm stupid?????;):rolleyes:

So much for being less confrontational.

You saw a lower price elsewhere, felt pressured to book when you werent ready and felt you werent getting the bargain you believed you were entitled to.

And yet you booked anyway. Sour grapes? You betcha!

So much for being less confrontational.

You saw a lower price elsewhere, felt pressured to book when you werent ready and felt you werent getting the bargain you believed you were entitled to.

And yet you booked anyway. Sour grapes? You betcha!

Yes the Front page says Best Price Guarantee. I shouldn't expect it?

The "best price guarantee" means that you (or your travel agent) can monitor prices Celebrity ITSELF advertises to the general public. IF your cruise price drops on their website before your final payment, you can make a request for Celebrity's new lower cruise fare and/or current promo offers.

If only this were true :) We found a lower price on the celebritycruises.com web site on a cruise and requested that our fare be reduced....the best price guarantee. Well, guess what....the price advertised by celebrity itself on their web site was a (can't name) special travel agent rate. when I requested that they match it, I was told that the price I saw was NOT the standard rate and that the standard rate had not changed...the guarantee is to their standard rate, not the (published) travel agent only rate.

We certainly could get into a discussion of either ethics or intentionally misleading marketing....but the message is that the price you see on the Celebrity Web site may NOT be one they will price match to.

Edited by ghstudio

In your case, it sounds as though the best price guarantee did not apply.

It does NOT mean that Celebrity matches a lower price you find advertised elsewhere by a travel agency online, in the newspaper, etc.

So no, there is nothing you can do for this particular booking. For future bookings, you can choose to book with that agency offering a 10-14% discount.

This.

OP, you are Canadian. Apologize for wasting all our time.

:)

Incredible the lack of support. As usual I learned a lesson and will be smarter next time.

I explained what happened and the circumstances and a few hundred $'s I'll live with and not a big deal.

I just pointed out the site and the claim and explained my situation

What surprises me is all those sticking their proverbial tongue out at me and saying "serves you right" and then the same one's posting their upgrades and freebies.....

Incredible the lack of support. As usual I learned a lesson and will be smarter next time.

I explained what happened and the circumstances and a few hundred $'s I'll live with and not a big deal.

I just pointed out the site and the claim and explained my situation

What surprises me is all those sticking their proverbial tongue out at me and saying "serves you right" and then the same one's posting their upgrades and freebies.....

The price guarantee does not extend to rates offered by outside agents. It also does not extend to price drops after the final payment date. I assume you booked within final payment based on having to pay in full, but you can confirm. The upgrades you were referring to were likely paid up sells and you may be able to do the same if available.

The price guarantee does not extend to rates offered by outside agents. It also does not extend to price drops after the final payment date. I assume you booked within final payment based on having to pay in full, but you can confirm. The upgrades you were referring to were likely paid up sells and you may be able to do the same if available.

That's fine, but still misleading......

Take Costco..... I buy a TV there and 2 months later I see it for $200 less. I take my receipt (or not) get in line and they refund me the $200..... That is what Celebrity I take it means by Best Price Guarantee.....

Coke is sold every store there is. Celebrity is sold by every TA. I go to Walmart and show the ad from Target selling Coke for $.99 and they match it. That s Price matching.....

I booked with Celebrity and told the agent on the phone that I could get the cruise for 10-12% less through a very big TA that would be easy to verify. They didn't really care, didn't budge nor would hold the reservation for 12 hours.

Not Best Price nor Price Match...... And that is confusing...... And that was my story....

Perhaps you should read the terms of a company's offer before you assume Celebrity's are just like Walmart and Costco (making your point of reference crystal clear).

Its not confusing in the least if you read it and dont assume it means what you think it means.

I suspect you still wont grasp the stipulations and how your interpretation is well off the mark but it was worth one more shot to try educating someone about a subject they are hellbent on remaining misinformed.

Edited by StolidCruiser

If only this were true :) We found a lower price on the celebritycruises.com web site on a cruise and requested that our fare be reduced....the best price guarantee. Well, guess what....the price advertised by celebrity itself on their web site was a (can't name) special travel agent rate. when I requested that they match it, I was told that the price I saw was NOT the standard rate and that the standard rate had not changed...the guarantee is to their standard rate, not the (published) travel agent only rate.

We certainly could get into a discussion of either ethics or intentionally misleading marketing....but the message is that the price you see on the Celebrity Web site may NOT be one they will price match to.

Well, I did say you could REQUEST it, not that you actually get it.:D

Thanks for that info, GH.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Perhaps you should read the terms of a company's offer before you assume Celebrity's are just like Walmart and Costco (making your point of reference crystal clear).

Its not confusing in the least if you read it and dont assume it means what you think it means.

I suspect you still wont grasp the stipulations and how your interpretation is well off the mark but it was worth one more shot to try educating someone about a subject they are hellbent on remaining misinformed.

No I get it.... I was explaining how Walmart's, Target's, Costco's do it different and very simple to understand.

I then posted here asked questions about pricing and pointed out they have a Best Price Guarantee on their Website which may not mean what one thinks it does.... Certainly it does not match prices.