Live from the Island Princess Dec 5-20 Panama Canal

mdgary

Thanks. It's good to hear your favorable comments about the Island. I have been following the thread concerning how ugly this ship is and how much people don't like it and their comments have had me worried about my upcoming 3/4 cruise on the Island. Those comments plus so many empty cabins still available for my cruise plus only 4-5 people on our roll call have had me kind of nervous about my cruise. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

I was on this ship last week for a 10 day partial transit, and I loved it. I too was fearful after reading all the negative reviews, but I need not have worried. The theater was the only place where I ever felt like the ship was crowded. Get to shows 20-30 minutes early and you'll be fine. The crew and food were some of the best I've ever experienced. You will have a wonderful time.

Thanks. It's good to hear your favorable comments about the Island. I have been following the thread concerning how ugly this ship is and how much people don't like it and their comments have had me worried about my upcoming 3/4 cruise on the Island. Those comments plus so many empty cabins still available for my cruise plus only 4-5 people on our roll call have had me kind of nervous about my cruise. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

I just got off the Island Princess on December fifth, and I had a wonderful time. The guests were an older age group which made it really nice. I never felt crowded when I was there; although, I went to one production show and all the seats were filled - that's the only time it felt crowded. The food, crew, and activities were good. I spent all my nights in the Crooner Bar listening to the piano bar entertainer. (Jim Long) I recommend you check him out; he's very good.

You will have a great time.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your helpful information! My husband and I are booked on Island in May and although I had no doubt we'd have a good time it sure is nice to see all the positive comments in this thread! No more angst at all now!

Edited by jawhoffman

Beginning of day 8 and in port Puntarenas Costa Rica and looking forward to the aerial tram tour through the rainforest. The canal transit on Thursday was amazing to see. We watched most of the transit from our balcony but did occasionally pop out on deck and wandered around. Temperatures were around 92 and very, very humid. Will provide more pictures shortly. Quick review of our shore tour in Cartagena. We did the canoe's through the mangrove grove and waking tour of old town. Very disappointed in this tour for the most part. It was about a 45 minute bus trip to where you board the canoes with a quick photo stop at one the forts along the way. Once you board the "rustic" canoes the is little or no explanation along the way except your boat pusher saying "white mangrove", "black mangrove", "white bird". Once you see one mangrove they all look the same. They do stop for a brief net fishing demonstration which is done for donations. Back at the dock you are offered some coconut juice and they do a couple of dances again for donations. The remainder of the tour is a couple of brief stops at shops and a very short walking tour through old town which winds up at the emerald mine museum/jewelry store. While the tour guide was very nice and informative we would not recommend this tour.

Service continues to be excellent from all the ships crew. We did dinner at the Bayou Cafe on Thursday night and the service and food was great. Highly recommend the New York strip steak and my wife said the lobster was also excellent.

Awesome! thanks for the info about little vibration in aft (we are on Lido deck) We fly down to Long Beach on Saturday then we can trade being on the Island! Your trip has sounded fun hope we have just as good a time during the holidays. thanks again

Beginning of day 8 and in port Puntarenas Costa Rica and looking forward to the aerial tram tour through the rainforest. The canal transit on Thursday was amazing to see. We watched most of the transit from our balcony but did occasionally pop out on deck and wandered around. Temperatures were around 92 and very, very humid. Will provide more pictures shortly. Quick review of our shore tour in Cartagena. We did the canoe's through the mangrove grove and waking tour of old town. Very disappointed in this tour for the most part. It was about a 45 minute bus trip to where you board the canoes with a quick photo stop at one the forts along the way. Once you board the "rustic" canoes the is little or no explanation along the way except your boat pusher saying "white mangrove", "black mangrove", "white bird". Once you see one mangrove they all look the same. They do stop for a brief net fishing demonstration which is done for donations. Back at the dock you are offered some coconut juice and they do a couple of dances again for donations. The remainder of the tour is a couple of brief stops at shops and a very short walking tour through old town which winds up at the emerald mine museum/jewelry store. While the tour guide was very nice and informative we would not recommend this tour.

Service continues to be excellent from all the ships crew. We did dinner at the Bayou Cafe on Thursday night and the service and food was great. Highly recommend the New York strip steak and my wife said the lobster was also excellent.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the canal transit. :)

Did you book a ship excursion or independently, for Cartagena?

Have fun in Costa Rica!

We booked all our tours through Princess just to play it safe. We would not recommend the canoe trip through the mangroves. In Costa Rica we did the aerial tram through the rainforest which was excellent. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with very friendly people. Will try uploading some pictures while heading to Cabo.