Advice on when to board--early vs late (Getaway)

chilliano

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give some tips/insight about boarding.

First priority: Reduce amount of wait time. I don't need to worry about getting any passes, so there's not need to rush on board.

For past cruises, we've arrived around 10:30, but DH HATES to wait around. He thinks it might be better to arrive later rather than earlier.

What does it look like arriving at port at 12, 1, or 2? Even more crowded as people arriving on flights arrive at port?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give some tips/insight about boarding.

First priority: Reduce amount of wait time. I don't need to worry about getting any passes, so there's not need to rush on board.

For past cruises, we've arrived around 10:30, but DH HATES to wait around. He thinks it might be better to arrive later rather than earlier.

What does it look like arriving at port at 12, 1, or 2? Even more crowded as people arriving on flights arrive at port?

Thanks!

I would board as soon as possible. Your already paying for Embarkation and why not get use of your money.

Thanks Kamloops, My DH is a bit of a curmudgeon. He's more interested in avoiding long lines and a wait for boarding than his actual time-to-arrive-on-board. As he was asking me our plans, I realized that I really have no idea what boarding looks like at 12 or 1 or 2 as most threads talk about getting to port as soon as possible. I wouldn't mind an extra hour on the beach in South Beach myself. But if it's actually a longer wait post-12 or 1, then, we'll follow our usual

Board ASAP:

to have long lines at check in.

to eat at a buffet that has mediocre food and a hard place to find to eat.

to carry around luggage,

I don't understand the people that say you paid for a bad buffet meal so you must eat it.

I have been at port from 11 Am, 12 Pm, 1 Pm, 1:45. I have done over 20 cruises. I can tell you with confidence if you want no line at all, get there as late as they let you. On my last cruise I arrived at 1:45 , there was no line at all. I am not kidding you, I walked in and went to check in immediately. If your first priority is to have no lines, then get there as late as they will let you get there.

As you know NCL lets you pick the time to arrive at the port to check in, on my last Breakaway, the latest time was 1:15-1:45, that is what I picked. That was the latest time they had. It was absolutely perfect.

Edited by cruiseelady

If you are Gold or Platinum then I would suggest as early as you can as you will have a special line to check-in. Especially if your carry-on luggage is light. Then go to the MDR that is open and enjoy a leisurely slow lunch. The anti to this is that you will have to wait for your carry-on luggage to be x-rayed.

If not then as late as possible so the check-in lines will be shorter. Still a wait for x-ray is possible as they seem to use too few scanners!!

Mike

I have been at port from 11 Am, 12 Pm, 1 Pm, 1:45. I have done over 20 cruises. I can tell you with confidence if you want no line at all, get there as late as they let you. On my last cruise I arrived at 1:45 , there was no line at all. I am not kidding you, I walked in and went to check in immediately. If your first priority is to have no lines, then get there as late as they will let you get there.

As you know NCL lets you pick the time to arrive at the port to check in, on my last Breakaway, the latest time was 1:15-1:45, that is what I picked. That was the latest time they had. It was absolutely perfect.

Where do you pick time for checkin?

Thanks everyone, no, we've got no special privileges. That's why I was wondering. Seems like there are a lot of reviewers saying, 'got there at 10:30 and in group 20.'

We usually go Aqua on Celebrity and this category gets you "somewhat" quicker access, but there's still a lot of waiting when arriving at 10:30. Scanner-line seems to go faster than waiting for your number to be called.

We've only gone once on NCL--Pearl from Vancouver and we got there at 10:30 ish for a long, long wait in a big room.

I think I'll go for the getting there around 1:30.

Like the previous question, I don't see anywhere for say what time you'll be checking in.

We've only gone once on NCL--Pearl from Vancouver and we got there at 10:30 ish for a long, long wait in a big room.

Don't judge all ports by Vancouver if you did the Canal Transit in the Pearl from Vancouver in October last year. That was a shambles at Ballantype Pier.

It didn't help that as the ship was returning to America from Canada that the boat had to be cleared and everyone had to go through a full American Immigration.

Mike