NCL SUN December 5, 2015 Diar

Hilarion

Wanted to mention that I booked a car to pick us up at the airport from Blacklane Service and the price was only $57. Additionally there is a lot of talk about it being cold. We have done this trip twice and go in January or February and the weather is delightful. Remember these early trips are not their summer so will be considerably cooler.

We have done two tours in Montivedio..one was a day at an estancia. Very nice, and the same city bus tour that is offered now. Both were good. Additionally we did a lot of walking around. We found everything very safe..just don't look like a tourist. One time in Buenos Aires we saw a couple from the ship walking around in new white sneakers, shirts that had US logos on and were carrying a map. Just don't dress like this. Try and blend in and act like you know what you are doing.

We are on the January 30th trip.

Day 2 & 3:

Disembarking in Montevideo was smooth. All you need is your ship card. No picture ID. The Pier is right next to the old port where you can find excellent restaurants if you like meat. Plenty of police officers near the port so I felt very safe.

There is UBER now in Montevideo if you want an alternative to cabs. I walked around and then took the official city hop in and off bus which I had taken two years ago and liked. The main stop is right across the street as you exit the port so you will not miss it. You can pay in USD, local currency or credit cards. It cost app US$21. The tour was excellent in that the buses are clean, with superb headphones; not those annoyed no earplugs you find elsewhere that never work. The recorded descriptions are just right; not too long, just right. Many passengers got off at various stops ; I stayed aboard the entire circuit that took about one and a half hours to complete.

If you opt for the bus tour, Dress warmly. Although it was a beautiful sunny day and fairly warm upstairs it was windy and very cold, I ended up moving downstairs to avoid being frozen on my first day.

Use your time to walk around the center, along Las Ramblas and to explore the many art galleries in Montevideo. I did not buy anything and did not feel pressure to buy.

As there is not much to write about today, let me just share some observations: The ship is full but because there was a 0% supplement for singles, it is not as crowded as it could be. There is plenty of space at the restaurants, shows, and even by the pool on a beautiful day like today. The passengers are mostly Americans with some Canadians, Argentinians, English and Germans, and from the languages I have heard, Mandarin and Hebrew speakers as well; not among my languages. The age of fairly mid-range to high; clearly many retired persons who own all of their time. Very few children and hardly anyone under 30. Almost perfect is you want calmness, space, very interesting people, and easy access to the bar. Compared to other cruises, the bars on this cruise are hardly ever crowded. Then

The art in 30,000 years lecture today at 5:30 pm was condensed and very interesting. Highly recommended.

On the first day at sea at 9:30 The South American lecturer at the main theater is basic but excellent. He will provide basic information on principal places to go, things to eat and drink, and some safety hints. If you know Argentina or have done some research, and I do and did, it may not be helpful as the lecture is very superficial. I am using the time at the lecture to write this for you. If you do not know Argentina or feel uncomfortable in South America, attend the talk; otherwise, sleep in. The second part of his lecture is on specific wildlife which is interesting, more detailed, and helpful.

ROOMS. I read on ONE Of THE Cruise Websites that THE AFT ROOMS on THE 8th floor are to be avoided; I disagree. I am in AFT Port 8073 balcony. Yes, at 7'pm and at 9'pm, it is noisy in that the room is right above the principal theater. At any other time, it is excellent and very quiet as there is no one below you. I also like that there is the AFT staircase and AFT elevators with easy and quick access to the main theater on the 7th and 6th floors, up to the 11th floor to the buffet and pool area and gym, and to the Tradewinds restaurant on the 5th floor.

Food: THe buffet has Been crowded and the food of OK quality. Do not expect much, really. Instead of chicken or ham salad, for example, there is the cheaper potato salad, instead of real cheddar cheese for the omelette there is sliced processed cheese, instead of chicken breasts, you find more legs and thighs; subtle differences that reduce overall quality. At the Tradewinds and Four seasons the food is much better but the service is very VERY slow, so,plan accordingly. Their servings are also small so if you are hungry, order more than one of each when you order. As always, the breads are superb. Even the wine service at the main restaurants is very slow; something that needs to be addressed by their management. I often received my wine way after my meal arrived; unacceptable.

Entertainment: of all the cruises I have been on, this is the weakest in terms of quality of performances. There are two shows; at 7 and at 9, but the quality of each show is average at best, compared to other shows on NCL.

Today we dock in Puerto Madryn. More tomorrow or when we dock in Stanley and I can connect again. Is this helpful to others?

Just curious, why are you eating at the buffet? Would like some feedback on the restaurants and the MDR.

Just curious, why are you eating at the buffet? Would like some feedback on the restaurants and the MDR.

A question I have asked myself. The first night I had a massage that ended after 9 pm when the dining rooms were closed. The second day, as it was a port day in Montevideo the restaurants close for lunch. I had dinner at the Four Seasons. On the third day by the time we finished the Croce critic meet and mingle and chatted with new friends, we had all missed the lunch hours at the restaurant so ended up again at the buffet. At night, I tried Tradewinds which was good but our food took forever and the wine arrived even later. I was surprised that the service was so slow as there always appear to be plenty of staff.

Yes, please do keep posting. Good info and detail. The Hop on Hop Off bus in Montevideo is a great tip.

I am especially interested to hear about the passport handling. Once you are finally and irrevocably in Chilean waters, will you get your passport back? Also tell us how they handle the return of passports when that finally happens. I worry a bit about NCL's getting things mixed up.

We are on this cruise in March, I worry about the passport thing too. Thank you for the information Merriem. Looking forward to your posts.

Many cruises we have turned in our passports and it never worried me at all. I worry about losing mine myself , or leaving it at home completely. Make a copy of it, you can take a picture on your smartphone . There is an excellent app called Mobile Pass, and all your information iyou can put it on there.

Usually the day before you disembark a notice is made, and you go up to guest relations and get your passports. It makes it much easier for customers, and we had a lot of nice stamps after our trips...

You will have a wonderful time.

I've cruised on the SUN twice (first time on the Valpa - BA = 14 days, and the second time Southern And East Caribbean = 12 days), and I have never heard of Tradewinds as a dining option!

Please clarify!

I suspect he means the Seven Seas main dining room. As you know, Tradewinds is often the name of the retail shop on NCL ships.

I assumed it was one of the MDRs. I've been on the Sun before, but I've also been on so many of NCLs ships I forget all their MDR names. Totally forgotten too what the shop was called. You guys must have great memories.

Edited by karoo

DAYS 4 & 5, Puerto Madryn And Day at sea

Puerto Madryn disembarkation was smooth. NCL excursion passengers got off first but as it was not a tender port, everyone got off quickly. PM is a very small town with only a few streets, modern architecturally uninteresting buildings, fairly flat and very arid terrain. The ship excursion passengers are picked up as you disembark; otherwise, you walk some 10 - 15 minutes down a long pier to the town where you can meet tour companies that are not aligned with the ship, taxis, and assorted others offering their services. There are very nice beaches very near the pier if you want to just walk and sun.

I had arranged through Alora Viaggio for a small group of passengers to go to Punta Tombo to see the Penguins for onlyUS$80 in a very nice small van for 10. I chose not to accompany as I did not want to be in a van for 4 hours. Another small group was to go on a 2,5 hour tour to see the caves and elephant seals for AR300. The group that went to see the elephant seals was not pleased as the price was increased to $350 and they were simply put In a cab with others, driven there and back in an hour and that was about it. So this means that small local tour companies are hot or miss. the penguin group was pleased but, understandably, not the other. Those who went on the penguin tour said it was worth the drive although they said they would reserve their final comment after the Falklands as that may beat this penguin experience. The drive was 2.5 hours each way with only one hour at the site. I complained to the company about the smaller group as I had helped set these up. I suggested they organize only one tour and do it well. Just be careful and clarify everything.

In PM I chose to do something easy and lazy for only AR$300 (adults over 60..barely). THat equals US$20. It was a three hour smooth cruise aboard the Regina Australe which is a 300 person modern catamaran that sails along the coast from almost next to where the SUN docks for 3 hours to Punta Lobos where you can see the sea lions and some penguins (with binoculars and zoom camera only). There is indoor and outdoor seating and as it was a beautiful sunny day, the small cruise along the shores of the Golfo Nuevo was perfect for me; I sat outside. I wanted something not too long, easy, no driving, and not too expensive. I bought my ticket at the end of the pier to the left as you exit. You can pay in USD but will get your change in pesos so save the pesos if you decide to do the cruise which departs at 1 pm and returns at 4'pm. The ship does not sail till 5:30 so there is plenty of time. The cruise can get very windy but I had a jacket and hat and it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Although I brought my own bottled water aboard, there is a bar and cafe onboard should you want to buy anything. On the way back, the was a very fun audience interactive show that made the return to port very pleasant. For those who did not want to participate, there was plenty of calm quiet space on the catamaran. Although the catamaran can hold 300, I would guess we were at most 50 persons so there was plenty of room. The bathrooms were impeccable which impressed m. The catamaran website is at:

Some friends went on a tour of Peninsula Valdez and they loved it,messing penguins, sea lions, lose Llama looking animals, and even a whale and its calf. They paid US$100 and booked the trip right when they exited the pier. They said the tour was perfect and thought it was money well spent.

The hypnotist show was disappointing and uninteresting; I left early for dinner at Trade Winds which I prefer over Four Seasons as it is easily accessible from my AFT cabin, on the 5th deck. I should mention that during my dinner, we spotted a school of nearly 100 dolphin frolicking alongside the ship. It was a lovely sight.

As happens on every sea day, at 9:30 am there is a South America lecture at the main theater. Today, the subject was Stanley and Cape Horn. You can also watch the lectures from the comfort of your room TV.

More on rooms: I read comments about the bathrooms. The round shower with a shower curtain is just the right size for normal-sized persons. the water pressure is excellent and there is plenty of shelving inside the shower stall for your own shampoos, conditioners and soaps. The ship only provides dispensers with shower gel and shampoo; I brought my own soap, shampoo and conditioner, and of course, body lotion as it is not provided. I understand from the crew that if you want soap, body lotion or anything else, you need to ask. There is a 110/220 plug in the bathroom for your razor or blow dryer if you bring one. The blow dryer is on the wall and works just fine. My room also had a coffee maker with regular and decaf coffee.

Day at sea: as the day at sea went on it got rougher and rougher making it tough to walk. This means that if you are prone to sea sickness, consider bringing medication. Not sure how much rougher it will get. The morning was choppy; now it is rough with 2 meter swells. I understand being in the AFT is less rough than from front. It is also very windy and showery.

The best performance so far on the cruise has been the Broadway Cabaret at Dazzles where the ship's singers sang assorted Broadway tunes and show off their excellent voices. They should do a Broadway evening more often. This show was packed and the audience response was the best I have seen on this cruise.

Beware of the art auctions. Know your terms so that you know what you are buying. The auctioneer is a fast talker and will sell anything. He often says it is an original work of art which is really not true if it is either a serigraphy or glycee which is what they are mostly selling. These two names are used synonymous with a print which in my opinion, if a copy on any medium and not something drawn by the artist or even a lithograph or an engraving which is made from a plate. Maybe the signatures are original but I would urge NCL To correct this and to force the auctioneers to call them signed prints rather than use a name that may indicate it is really an originally created work of art.

Some have asked me how I communicate: staying connected. The per minute cost aboard is expensive, ranging from $1 per minute to $30 a day to $75 for 100 minutes, $125 For 250, and other combinations; in summary, expensive. I instead switched from being a 20+ year AT&T client to T-Mobile after a tech-savoy friend told me that T-Mobile includes free data at 3G when you are abroad and unlimited text messages as well; phone call I am paying at .50 (so I call my 92 year old Mom from every port). I first used it on the EPIC same time last year, on the Getaway in October and the SKY earlier this year. As soon as the ship approaches land, I get a message from T-Mobile that I am connected. They also offer a cruise package which I have not priced as connecting at each port is enough for my needs. I am not selling anything, just sharing information that has allowed me to spend less money and feel less ripped off by cell carriers. Their plan also does not charge against your data plan maximum when you use any of the streaming music services like Rhapsody or Pandora which I use in my car. I will hopefully send this log from Stanley. I then use my iPhone as a Hotspot to be able to use my HP Notebook. My iPad also connects to the T-Mobile affiliates abroad for free. Be careful with T-Mobile though because even if they say you do not have a contract, if you get your phone through them, you are sort of tied in until you pay off the phone. This is not an issue if you have your own phone and just buy a T-Mobile SIM card.

Day 6: Captain found weather conditions were not right to tender at Port Stanley so we sailed off to another sea day en route to Ushuaia. Did see a very arid and rocky coastline and a few birds. From the ship, the beaches looked white and sandy. The seas this morning were not as rough as yesterday afternoon but the captain now is predicting 16 meter swells; yikes. I would suggest bringing sea sickness medication as a stand-by. Some friends did not bring medication, went to the ship infirmary and were given something for sea sickness. When it got rough yesterday afternoon it was difficult to walk but that lasted only a few hours. The captain announced a new activity guide which was released quickly. Among the new activities was Another excellent lecture by the cruise lecturer discussing Ushuaia as well the Polish string trio which played at Dazzles. There was an 80's music trivia game followed by some excellent Cuban music at the Windjammer.

Hilarion, great information, thank you! After reading about the 16 meter (52') swells, I checked the Sun's position on AIS and was glad to see you have safely docked in Ushuaia. Wishing you fair winds and following seas for the rest of your cruise.

Beware of the art auctions. Know your terms so that you know what you are buying. The auctioneer is a fast talker and will sell anything. He often says it is an original work of art which is really not true if it is either a serigraphy or glycee which is what they are mostly selling. These two names are used synonymous with a print which in my opinion, if a copy on any medium and not something drawn by the artist or even a lithograph or an engraving which is made from a plate. Maybe the signatures are original but I would urge NCL To correct this and to force the auctioneers to call them signed prints rather than use a name that may indicate it is really an originally created work of art.

Also beware winning a raffle!! Especially if you are not American. After more hard sell in the evening and a lot of discussion we agreed on the prize we wanted. The only way we could get it was to PAY USD75 to have it sent to New Zealand. :eek: :mad:

Day 6: Captain found weather conditions were not right to tender at Port Stanley so we sailed off to another sea day en route to Ushuaia. That would be most annoying as Stanley is one of the places we really want to visit.

Thanks for the postings, excellent information.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice

Day 7, 8 and 9: Sailing toward Cape Horn, Ushuaia, Glaciers, and Punta Arenas

More on Staterooms: After being on the ship for over a week and in my Stateroom I consider NCL SUN STATEROOMS excellent in terms of space, functionality, and storage room. Although I am in a balcony room by myself, there is so much space to store your things and still be tidy and organized. Each room has its own temperature control which lets you lower the temperature at night and increase it during daytime, the flatscreen TV is of excellent quality of image and sound. You can get Fox News, MSNBC, BBC but not CNN or any Spanish language station which is odd considering there are so many Spanish-speakers aboard being a cruise from Argentine to Chile. The are also a couple movie channels but Tere is no information on how to find out when movies start or what movies are playing when as it is not included in the Daily. Finally there are a number of NCL channels where you can see then South America lectures you missed, a ship safety channel, and a channel advertising NCL cruises and things to buy on board

The Stateroom bathrooms I find beautifully designed. Yes, the shower stall is round and snug but it is big enough for a normal sized person. I also like it being snug especially when the ship rocks and you can anchor yourself better because of its small size. There is plenty of storage space for your toiletries and the water pressure is excellent. Thee is a built blow dryer with two speeds and a plug to keep your electric razor fully charged. The lighting in the bathroom is also excellent. I think there needs Megan enough room for two persons in the bathroom if one is inside the shower. The is a mini bar fridge which I had my room Stewart empty so that I could place my own soft Drinks and bottled water. Yes, I went to a supermarket in BA before boarding and purchased bottled water and soft drinks for my stateroom. I placed the drinks in a small bag which I checked; and it was delivered to my room with my suitcase.

After the Falklands: After not stopping in the Falklands because of weather, the captain proceeded very slowly towards Ushuaia. Although I would have preferred continuing at the programmed speed and having more time in Ushuaia, that did not happen. Instead, he sailed VERY slowly, possibly to save on fuel and get rewarded by NCL.

Cape Horn: Seeing Cape Horn was one of those Bucket List items that you can remove from your list. It was a beautiful afternoon and a sight worth seeing. The cabins on the right side saw the Horn first. The captain then turned the ship around so that those on the left side could enjoy the same view. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon with very calm seas; awesome photo opportunity. Be sure to look for the sculpture on the Horn. We then proceeded to Ushuaia.

Ushuaia: We arrived in Ushuaia with snow; yes, snow just a few days before summer begins in the Southern Hemisphere. We docked right next to one of those smaller cruise ships that goes to Antartica. The pier is right downtown with easy access to the city center. As we only had between 8 am and 1:30 pm, I had shared (using Roll Call) the opportunity to sail the Beagle Channel to see up close wildlife, the small lighthouse, and wild flowers on small islands. I had done extensive research, used Trip Advisor reviews, and read Spanish language websites to identify a tour company offering a small 26 person boat excursion along the Beagle Channel. Highly recommended but watch the weather as the boat is small and could be a bit rocky. A couple of passengers got sea sick; the excursion was excellent - not too long, short, just right.

Being a small boat it pulled up close to two small islands packed with animals; one with sea lions and seals and the other with black and white birds that looked like penguins but we're not. We then approached the furthest and third island with a beautiful small red and white lighthouse on the Beagle Channel. Before returning to port, we stopped on an island for a small easy hike to the top of the hill. Along the way, our guide (who spoke excellent English), told,us about the birds, animals, lighthouse, unique flora and prepared us for what we we about to see with photographs that he passed around.

The weather on the Beagle Channel is volatile. If you are prone to motion sickness, I would not recommend this excursion or any other water excursion. When we arrived on the small island for our brief hike, it was getting cloudy again. By the time we were near the top of the hill it started sleeting; yes, sleet and strong winds. If you do any outdoor event at excursions, dress warmly when in Ushuaia; bring a warm wool hat, a,scarf to cover your ears, and warm gloves. On the walk back to the pier, we were served tea and instant coffee with tasty packaged cookies which we all enjoyed. The tour guide and boat captain raffled off the ship's Argentine flag asking that the winner photograph him/her self with the flag in his/her hometown and send back the photo to add to their list of former passengers; a cute concept as we saw photos of the flag in Europe. Asia, and America. I won it! Now I have to think where in Miami and can photograph myself with the vessel's Argentine flag. Maybe on South Beach with bikini clad ladies? Possibly in front of the Miami? Or maybe with an alligator in the Everglades, Little Havana, USA?

This Beagle Channel tour with Patagonia Adventures cost US$61or AR$850. Although we were nearly 15 passengers from the NCL SUN, they offered a discount only had we booked 26 in total. The excursion departed at 9:45 am and returned to port at 1:30 pm to board and depart by 2 pm. If you book this tour, please underscore the importance of returning in time for the 1:30 pm all aboard. As we docked early, we had time before the excursion to shop along the waterfront. I bought beautiful collectors' stamps at the small post office right outside the pier to the right on your way to the Patagonia Adventures booth to pay for the excursion cruise. You can contact Patagonia Adventures through Carolina at patagoniaadvent@patagoniaadvent.com.ar and their website is at http://www.patagoniaadvent.com.ar As the boat only has room for 26, if you are interested, write to Carolina at the tour company and let her know you heard about the excursion through Hilarion from the NCL SUN and want to reserve a spot or even try to gather 26 passengers so that you pay only AR$800. Although there is also a AR$20 port fee, NCL SUN passengers do not have to pay this additional amount if you show your cabin card (as we had all prepaid the tax). Don't let them charge you the extra AR$20.

THE CHILEAN GLACIERS: After Ushuaia, we proceeded toward Punta Arenas and sailed past four glaciers, one of which came down to water's edge. The days were partly cloudy so some were more visible than others. That said, this has been my favorite part of the cruise. Seeing these glaciers live is amazing. Although I have not been to Alaska, those who have said these were better than Alaska as they were many and so close. All the glaciers are on the right hand of the ship, so those of us with balconies on the left had to go elsewhere. The ship's observation deck and other public rooms were very crowded. Instead, I went to the back of Deck 6. It was a perfect location for photography. The front of Deck 6 was packed so avoid the crowds and go to the back; but dress warmly and bring binoculars. I alternated between just enjoying the sight of a massive glacier, to shooting some pics with my zoom, to using the binoculars to examine the glaciers up close. I used my scarf to cover my head and ears and then topped it off with my felt wool hat. It can get breezy as well.

Day 9, PUNTA ARENAS: Punta Arenas was our first tender port. Tender tickets were given out at Dazzles starting at 8 am. I wanted to get off asap so I went to Dazzles 10 minutes to 8 and took a place in the short line that had already formed. The tender tickets were given out at 8 am and I was in #2. It was a smooth tender ride. I ended up being on the 1st tender as those who had reserved for Tender #1 did not show up to board so they filled seats with passengers with Group 2.

Chilean immigration scanned all hand bags through X-rays but did not ask for the Customs form we all had to complete and carry with us. They just wanted to ensure you did not have fresh fruit with you. On the way back to the tenders we were asked to show as the stateroom card, no separate photo IDs were checked. The entry terminal was clean and spacious with some tour operators right inside the terminal for those who wanted to go see the penguin colony (more on penguins below).

Going westbound, the ship is at port on Sunday where most every shop is closed although you can walk around. You will see the wealth and prosperity of the town prior to the opening of the Panama Canal. Most of the mansions and iconic building date back to the early 1900's. There is a free museum right outside the city center operated by the University that has excellent photographs, vehicles, houses, and other artifacts of Puerto Arenas. It is worth visiting.

About an hour outside the town there is a wooden fortress from the mid 1800's that is nicely restored. Although I was in a private car of a friend from the University, there were some NCL SUN passengers on tour buses as well. The fee to enter the fort grounds is over US$20 which I found a bit high for what it is. There is also a new museum in a beautiful new building with multimedia exhibits on the history of the region as well as a small museum shop with very original, but expensive gift items and very clean and view bathrooms.

Another option is a visit to a penguin colony about an hour outside town. Many from the ship went there to see Magellanic penguins. Those who arrived when the tourist site opened at 3 pm saw only two small family groups of penguins. The drive is long, mostly over unpaved roads and the walk to see the few penguins was long and extremely cold and windy despite it being one week to the official start of summer. Some of the more elderly passengers who went to see the penguins returned without seeing any penguins because of the harsh wind, cold, and rough walking conditions. Those of us who braved the elements were rewarded in the end to at least one group of some 20 Magellanic penguins that were adorable.

A better option would have been a boat trip to Isla Magdallena which is about a 2 hour ferry or boat ride. I had arranged for a tour company known as Solo Expediciones to take us there for US$88 but one a day before our arrival, they informed me the boat was not functioning and that the trip was cancelled; very odd. Maybe the were just not many passengers booked and they decided to cancel. Whatever the reason, this a one of the downsides of exploring alternatives to the more expensive NCL SUN tours. Those on the ship's tour, loved seeing the penguins on Isla Magdalena but complained that the ferry in which they taken to the island was old, dirty and unpleasant. That excursion was very expensive. There are other ferry companies that actually go to Isla Magdalena to see the penguins but their ships depart at 3 pm and return at 8 pm. I plan to write to them to infirm them of the NCL SUN port hours hoping that they may introduce an earlier ferry in the days the NCL SUN is at Punta Arenas. Those ferris charges CH$35000, app US$50. Which is significantly less than the NCL SUN TOUR.

Days 10 and 11 have been at sea. The scenery in Day 10 was visually unimpressive although being on the Chilean fjords, the sail has been very pleasant. The evening show was a musical tribute to Burt Bacharach which was just ok. The ship's singers are good but not great. Other than that, on these two sea days, there were the usual trivia games, a very basic and well-attended tango lesson, some classical string music by an average Polish string trio, and opportunities to buy buy buy watches, jewelry, and other items. So far in this cruise, I have not seen any truly special bargain days. Today's sale of watches still had the Invicta watch selling for app. $300 despite the supposedly 70% markdown price. Amazon sells them for $----.

Day 11 is another sail day along the fjords but things got a bit rough again once outside the fjords before noon. The day is cold, foggy and drizzly so there is nothing to see, and not much to do on board. Being sail days, there is the usual 9:30 am lecture, all of which I have found to be very informative and helpful. These lectures are transmitted to staterooms via the ship's communication network. If you is it, the lectures are retransmitted throughout the day. These lectures are usually followed by presentations of the ship's formal excursions which I find extremely expensive. I also prefer smaller groups. It is easy to organize you own excursions as there are many tour provides at each of the ship's ports. Although I have written to them in Spanish, I understand from other passengers that they will respond to emails in English. You can find the list of,local tour providers is you first google the local chamber of Commerce or tourist board. Those will list tour companies as well as car rental opportunities.

The evening's entertainment was just OK again, not he main show at the Stardust was an Argentine Goucho show with two couples mainly swinging two balls, banging loudly on drums, and the usual risqué dancers. The best was Glenn Miller music at the Atrium. There was a bad rock band at Dazzles and a folk song Dylan-type guitarist in the Windjammer. As we have an early morning and little time in Puerto Chacabuco, it was an early-to-bed night.

One of the best things about the cruise is the ability to have coffee, OJ, and baked goods delivered to your room as early as 6:30 am. If you want a heartier breakfast you ether go up to the buffet which opens at 6:30 am or pay the delivery fee and have it delivered to your Stateroom.

The ship photographers are always taking photos hoping to sell you some very expensive photo packages. The photos are displayed on deck 6 near the Windjammer and next to the ship's library. Every time you walk by, one of the sales persons may try to engage you to sell you some of your photos. They are also the to ensure passengers do not take photos of the photographs and avoid having to buy them. I must admit, however, the some of the photos by the NCL photographers are excellent and may be worth buying.

Tomorrow....Chacabuco, Puerto Montt and Valparaiso/Santiago.

Lari,

Thanks for the Tango show info. I had decided against seeing a show at $100+ pp. You mentioned getting the 1/2 price tickets that day. Do you think there is much risk of them being sold out by doing that?

Thank you for your excellent as well as informative review of NCL South America cruise. Your insight and recommendations have been so helpful ! We will be cruising late March and assume our weather will be similar to yours and perhaps a bit colder , and the sea just as unpredictable. Those swells do sound exciting ! I look forward to the reading the posts of the rest of this cruise.

Day 12 - Puerto Chacabuco is small, very small. Not many taxis available for last minute hire. If this is your preference, make arrangements ahead of time. I had pre arranged for a car and driver for three of us for only US$100 from 8:30 am - 1:30 pm. That was a perfect amount of time. Most roads in the area are unpaved. Our driver Victor used a very clean and comfortable Hundai for us. He first took us to the town of Aysen (as there is NOTHING in Port Chacabuco) for a brief tour of the Plaza de Armas, a stop at a working bank's ATM and then to a well-stocked local market to buy some local jams, cookies, honey, and sundries.

We then visited the longest suspension bridge in Chile in Aysen, the silted up Aysen Channel (because Port Aysen used to be the main port until it became unnavigable). We loved the many rose bushes in bloom throwing the small town. We left paved roads to visit a beautiful bay which is the main public beach for Aysen locals, a lovely river, and an impressive powerful waterfall. We stopped,along the way to photograph animals and lovely landscapes. On the way back to the ship, we had time to stop briefly at a small group of stores where local artisans sell everything from handmade wool booties, to wallets and eyeglass cases made from the local salmon skins, and so much more; prices were excellent.

The cost was US$100 and I invited two passengers to come along to share the cost and still be comfortable. If you want to contact this taxi driver and arrange to be picked up and taken around for the little time we are at port contact: (tell him Hilarion Martinez fromNCL SUN have you his name, email and number) and make your own arrangements. He can also provide a small van for a larger group.

Day 13...Puerto Montt is beautiful and much bigger than the other ports we have visited. It's population is 300,000, I had arranged with the tour company Patagonia Austral which I identified on Trip Advisor as they are a small company, with awesome service at a great price. I learned that The large tour companies in Puerto Montt hold a monopoly because of the cruise business and kick-backs but they are very expensive, use very large buses, and only do three stops on their tours because of the size of the buses and number of people. I contacted the owner and was impressed with how he responded to my requests and the program he offered for what turned out to be the most reasonable price of any of the tour providers in Puerto Montt. He offered us a group tour at a declining price depending on the number of passengers, I announced the offer in Roll Call and then told new friends on the ship. The tour company would reduce the price to only US$65 if we were 7-8 passengers. We ended up being 25 and filled a small bus for 35 with plenty of space.

We started at 9'am from the port and ended up at 5 pm at the Port. To top the tour off, he even contracted for a wonderful Chilean singer who serenaded us as we drove to the port. The buffet lunch which was included was amazing. It was in a restaurant in Ensenada on the lake with grilled meats, fish, salads, deserts, and all one could eat. The food was better than the ship's food and everyone loved it. The point of contact, if you are interested in organizing a group for your sail, is Felix Zambrano. It is really the best price I know of, especially compared with the ship's excursion which is over us$150.

Here are the details if you are interested in this great deal: ONLY US$65 for 7 – 8 passengers, or above; US$ 115 for 1 - 4 passengers; US$90 for $ 115 for 5 - 6 passengers. This is a very COMPLETE tour of the area (includes lunch, guide and condensed Puerto Montt City Tour) within our time ashore (i.e., app. 8 hrs.). Contact: Patagonia Austral, FELIX ZAMBRANO, info@patagoniaaustral.cl http://www.patagoniaaustral.cl Let Felix know you heard of this tour through Hilarion Martinez to ensure you get in the NCL Sun group and get this reduced price.

The tour left the pier at Puerto Montt along Rt. 5 towards Puerto Varas, known as the City of Roses, and stopped at the main square to view Lake Llanquihue and a photo opportunity of the Lake and Osorno Volcano. We then continued to Ensenada, stopping at the lookout “Los Riscos” on Lake Llanquihue to view Osorno Volcano. We proceeded to the “Green Lake” (sp. Lago Verde) before returning to Ensenada to stroll, shop, and enjoy a buffet lunch (included). We then proceeded to Petrohue Falls in the Vicente Perez Rosales National Park. We also visited All Saints Lake before beginning our return to Puerto Montt. Some chose to do a lake cruise for less than US$5...amazing really. Upon reaching Puerto Montt there was a condensed city tour to see the colorful shingled houses and pass the Plaza de Armas, with its Neo-Classical cathedral. The excursion ended at the port by 5 pm to board the NCL SUN (exhausted but happy, fulfilled, and thrilled). One passenger who chose to take the overnight bus to Santiago from Puerto Montt was taken to the bus terminal and helped on the bus at the end of the tour at no extra cost.

Trust me on this one, this is the best deal around. Even if his prices go up to $70 or $75, it has been the best land excursion I have been on on this cruise. Write to him in Spanish or English. The tour guide who accompanied us was extremely knowledgeable about he region and spoke excellent English. Even the owner of the company wanted to make sure the tour was perfect and he came along with us. We could have not been more impressed and grateful. We, of course, ended up tipping the tour guide and the driver.

Tomorrow is a sea day, and then we get to Valparaiso.

Great review . . Can't wait to read about disembarkation . As for keeping passports: the first time it happened was a little unsettling , but if you travel internationally enough you get used to it . And remember that it can actually be a time saver.

Edited by dalgirl