Global Entry...Finally!

wjslam

At John Wayne (Orange County CA) airport once they didn't have a separate PreCheck line, but if you had precheck on your boarding pass they handed you a special yellow card you held while going through the regular line, and you didn't have to take your shoes off or take your laptop out. That was maybe 15 months ago, but I just went through there a few months ago and they had a dedicated PreCheck line.

Jade13, We have always gotten PreCheck on any airline that participates, ever since we got Global Entry two years ago. My sister has had Global Entry for three years and has always gotten PreCheck; it has been part of the program since the beginning. If you have Global Entry, and don't get PreCheck on a participating airline, then there's some kind of problem that you should investigate. Most likely either the airline has your Known Traveler number wrong (or doesn't have it on the ticket at all), or your name, birthdate, etc. is not matching. The name listed on the ticket has to be exactly the same first and last name (no nicknames or shortening like Don vs Donald), and same middle initial if any.

I would log into your Global Entry account and review that information to make sure everything's correct, and then check your next domestic ticket carefully to make sure it exactly matches, and that your Known Traveler number has been entered. Just because it is listed in your Frequent Flyer account does not mean it will be associated with your ticket. I find I have to type it manually (well, copy-paste) every time I book a ticket, even if it's listed in my FF account.

They certainly don't make it obvious or encourage people to use it. They seem quite happy to stand there doing nothing. Everybody that went through that line asked about it and you were not oermitted into the line until you showed them you had your card in hand. The line was blocked off when I used it on November 1.

The GE sign was on the far left end of Pier 21 terminal and not obvious, and yes, the line was blocked off...perhaps to prevent people from thinking it was another regular or wheelchair entry point?

Once we showed our GE cards, they opened the rope, let us through, then closed it again. In some ways I get it because there are so many people (99% plus) that do not have a GE card, CBP doesn't want to risk having to turn people away in droves...especially when they are outnumbered by passengers 1000 to 1.

This is my only experience with GE on a cruise, so who knows how it is elsewhere, or even if it is going to be consistent in the future. One thing I do know. I'll always have my GE card and passport and will always ask.

If you have Global Entry, and don't get PreCheck on a participating airline, then there's some kind of problem that you should investigate. Most likely either the airline has your Known Traveler number wrong (or doesn't have it on the ticket at all), or your name, birthdate, etc. is not matching. The name listed on the ticket has to be exactly the same first and last name (no nicknames or shortening like Don vs Donald), and same middle initial if any.

I would log into your Global Entry account and review that information to make sure everything's correct, and then check your next domestic ticket carefully to make sure it exactly matches, and that your Known Traveler number has been entered. Just because it is listed in your Frequent Flyer account does not mean it will be associated with your ticket. I find I have to type it manually (well, copy-paste) every time I book a ticket, even if it's listed in my FF account.

Great advice. My wife and I both changed our Delta Skymiles membership names to match our passports and GE records EXACTLY and then stored our KTNs in our Skymiles profiles immediately upon receiving our GE cards. We check every booking to be sure the KTN is there. So far, so good...no issues with Pre-Check in 4-5 flights.

Edited by wjslam

I have never had to re-enter my KTN when booking flights on jetBlue; it is stored in my profile.

Exactly. We have been mostly on international carriers (departing from a US airport) in the last year such as LAN, Japan Airlines, and Cathay Pacific. I thought the last time I was on JetBlue they did not participate but not sure about that and it was last year. Southwest has my Trusted Traveler number and I was not given pre check, and the line at BWI was closed, but I tend to take really early flights and at the airport at 6:30am.

Someone posted the wording on the GE website and I am pretty sure it had changed in the past year and a half to allow pre check for some airlines at some airports, but it is obviously not guaranteed.

Last year we took a flight on American to meet up with a LAN flight and my DH was given pre check but not me and I was told it was not guaranteed when I asked and TSA said they get questions like that all of time with passengers thinking if they have GE they have pre check. It looks like that has changed since last year and language on GE website has changed as well.

Glad to hear GE will help in Ft Lauderdale after a cruise next year. We may attempt to make a 10:00am flight.

I would go back and look at your profile. Make sure your known traveler number is correct. I had that problem. I was constantly not getting selected and then looked at my profile on AA and found out I had an extra digit in the number. It didn't match. Once I fixed it, all future reservations had the correct number and I get selected each time.

Terri

I just found that I had the wrong number posted with one airline. If you look at the back of your GE card it is the number below the word PASSID. I had used the bigger number to the right which is the wrong number.

I wondered about that! Not sure if I used the correct number, (there are so many on the card!:D) so I'll have to check. Thanks.

We have Global Entry. But it doesn't help with TSA pre check. I am not sure if it worth our time to apply for TSA pre check since not all airlines or airports use it. I was just in BWI over thanksgiving and the TSA pre check line was closed.

We also flew in from Hong Kong a few weeks ago and went to the wrong kiosk, not GE. It didn't matter since there was no wait.

It sounds like GE will be helpful in FT Lauderdale where we plan to book a 10:00am flight after a transatlantic. Maybe a better chance of making the flight.

Global Entry automatically qualifies you for TSA PreCheck (and for a longer time period). If your airline tickets are not indicating you are PreCheck, then BEFORE you fly you need to go into your FF account for the airline and input all of your data.

Edited by boze9999

Be sure you have your global entry card with you at the cruise port to use the global entry line. I didn't have mine with me as my boarding pass already had pre-check on it. I couldn't use the line. I'll know to have the card with me next time

That's odd. When we applied for ours the officer told us we would never need the ID card but keep it in a safe place. Haven't had a chance to use my global entry yet. Thanks for the heads up

I mentioned earlier in this thread that they asked to see it before they would let you in. In canada I was told that you can't access the nexus line unless you have the card on you. Sometimes I've had to stick it into a machine.

Be sure you have your global entry card with you at the cruise port to use the global entry line. I didn't have mine with me as my boarding pass already had pre-check on it. I couldn't use the line. I'll know to have the card with me next time

I am not sure the officers explain this to everyone properly. Global Entry and Pre-Check are two separate things. When you apply and receive Global Entry you are automatically enrolled for Pre-Check. The Pre-Check only has to do with the security lines at the airport. Not customs and border patrol. Your boarding pass showing Pre-Check does not mean you have Global Entry. If you apply for and receive Pre-Check you DO NOT receive Global Entry.

It's possible in a few years that the cruise ship terminals will add the Global Entry kiosks to make things easier for all but for now all they can offer is access to the more convenient line. Better than nothing.

Although you are told you do not need to carry the global entry card with you we always do when we travel. Just in case there an unexpected issue arises. The days of flying 100,000 miles a year fortunately are over but we still hit 50,000 miles a year.

The documentation I received said the Global Entry card was only for vehicle entry from Canada and Mexico. It also has to be activated within 30 days of receipt. Since we don't live near a border I didn't bother. I have never been asked for it at an airport when returning from international travel. That said, it is the only documented "proof" I am enrolled in Global Entry. After reading this thread I found mine and stuck it in my passport holder. I'm curious to see the process at Port Everglades.

The documentation I received said the Global Entry card was only for vehicle entry from Canada and Mexico. It also has to be activated within 30 days of receipt. Since we don't live near a border I didn't bother. I have never been asked for it at an airport when returning from international travel. That said, it is the only documented "proof" I am enrolled in Global Entry. After reading this thread I found mine and stuck it in my passport holder. I'm curious to see the process at Port Everglades.

In my experience you wouldn't be asked for it unless you try to get in a line specifically for it. I always have it in my hand along with my passport because it seems to be required in Canada when going to the USA. I don't care to go overseas so I can't speak to that.

It's the govt

They don't even know how it works-lol

We used ours last week in fll and went straight to the head of the line

FYI

We have never used it in mx, but have used it for a plane in Canada

I will always carry it w/ us when we travel........

Ps

They won't ask you- YOU have to look for it

Helaine

Edited by hmorrow

In my experience you wouldn't be asked for it unless you try to get in a line specifically for it. I always have it in my hand along with my passport because it seems to be required in Canada when going to the USA. I don't care to go overseas so I can't speak to that.

We've had three re-entries from International flights since we got Global Entry the last being just Friday from a land-based vacation in Cabo and never been asked for our GE card. We do have it available but since GE is really attached to our passports it's getting the kiosks to read the passport that really makes the difference. TSA PreCheck is an added benefit of Global Entry but the GE card will not by itself get you into the PreCheck lane. Will be interesting to see if they have Global Entry in Ft Lauderdale next March when we disembark there. Small ship so they may not bother.

Edited by Randyk47

I wish I had seen this thread before I came back to Port Everglades last Sunday on the Nieuw Amsterdam. There were 2 customs officers for over 2000 people and 1 officer for wheelchairs and special needs.

I never saw any sign or notice that I could show my Nexus card and go in the wheelchair line. I found that out when I got to front of the line - took an hour to get there. I overheard the person in front of me ask about Global Entry and heard the guy say we could have used the other line.

Same thing happened to us at Port Everglades in Oct. When we finally got to the front of the line there was a little sign saying "Global Entry". Grrrrr......

As for Pre-check and the Nexus card-my husband was rarely getting the pre-check. Maybe one out of four flights. He was getting it randomly so I knew the info was good. I asked at the airport one time and was told pre-check is never guaranteed but usually is applied to those who have applied for the various programs. He was just very unlucky with the random selection.

Last time we were in Port Everglades I fortunately noticed a small (tiny really, maybe the size of a 5 x 7 card) sign that said "non-US passport holders" on one of the barrier poles, and we whipped off to one side and managed to jump a huge queue and get to the airport in good time. One really has to be on the lookout for these things! They really don't try to advertise any of these little benefits!

I will certainly be on the lookout, too, for the Nexus/GE line next time!

BTW, we drove across the border at Blaine, WA, last week, and there was one Nexus line, and one that said RFID - anyone know that one?

When we got our Global Entry cards, they told us the cards themselves were only useful when coming back into the country by road from Mexico and Canada. But my wife has always brought them with us on every international trip, "just in case." On our first international trip after getting GE we made a mistake, and when we got to the final Global Entry line they said because of our error we'd have to use the regular customs line, unless we had our Global Entry cards. My wife promptly pulled them out, and we sailed right through the line.

I notice that on the Global Entry web site it now says, "We accept Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry."

So it appears that if you're coming in by air, you can just scan your passport and fingerprint at the kiosks, but (as we discovered) occasionally it could be handy to have the card. If you're coming in by road or sea, you should use your Global Entry card.

As for Pre-check and the Nexus card-my husband was rarely getting the pre-check. Maybe one out of four flights. He was getting it randomly so I knew the info was good. I asked at the airport one time and was told pre-check is never guaranteed but usually is applied to those who have applied for the various programs. He was just very unlucky with the random selection.

This is incorrect. If your husband is enrolled in Nexus, he should be getting PreCheck on every flight with a participating airline. Anyone can be randomly selected for PreCheck whether they're in a frequent traveler program or not, but Global Entry, Sentri, and Nexus members are all issued a Known Traveler Number (KTN), which should activate PreCheck on every qualifying flight. The KTN is on your Nexus card, probably labeled PASSID. If your husband is getting PreCheck one in four times, he's just getting the random selection that anyone could get, and is not connecting his Nexus membership to his flight bookings.

Make sure you are entering his KTN on the booking, and that his full name and birth date match between the airline ticket and the Nexus information.

More info here:

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/faq

(Specifically read this FAQ entry: "What is a CBP PASSID and known traveler number?")

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%C2%AE