for shopping, St. Thomas VI or St. Johns Antiqua

Far more stores in St. Thomas than anywhere else. However, it's always buyer beware. Be sure you know what you are buying. In general, you can buy same merchandise back home from a reputable jeweler for the same price.

I will be visiting both of these ports in early December and want to buy some jewelry. Which has the best shopping and prices, and what shops would you recommend?

If you want a truly one of a kind gold item go to the Gold Smitty in Antigua

About 2 blocks from the ship. Even if you don't buy - you will be blown away with this guys's one of a kind creations.

have been to both islands several times. while st. thomas has a larger shopping area, it's all the same stuff over and over again. most of what they have to offer you can buy in the u.s., for comparable prices. antigua has a nice shopping area with many local shops offering hand-made or local items. many nice caribbean batik shirts,etc. good food as well including meat patties, rotis, and flying fish. small local produce market as well. more of a foreign feel than st. thomas, which is, after all, part of the u.s. just my opinion, but definitely enjoyed the shopping 'experience' much more in antigua.

As a matter of fact we are stopping in St. Maarten also, we are aboard the Jewel sailing Dec. 3rd. I hadnt considered St. Maarten but I know phillipsburg is suppossed to be very nice. So would you say St. Maarten has better pricing than St. Thomas? Thanks everyone for your advice. 7_6_4.gif

As a matter of fact we are stopping in St. Maarten also, we are aboard the Jewel sailing Dec. 3rd. I hadnt considered St. Maarten but I know phillipsburg is suppossed to be very nice. So would you say St. Maarten has better pricing than St. Thomas? Thanks everyone for your advice. 7_6_4.gif

If you are looking for jewelry, down town Phillipsburg is kind of like a gold mine. There are many shops, which means competition, so the merchants seems very willing to negotiate price. If you don't get a price that you like walking toward the door to leave seems to have a very beneficial effect on dropping price!

I like St. Maarten for shopping. The last few times we have been in St. Thomas the prices didn't seem much different than back home. I think I actually paid MORE for perfume in St. Thomas than I could have gotten at Perfumania in the Mall of America. It wasn't that way five years + back.

I bought a camera in St. Maarten. I found it almost $30 cheaper on the Internet with a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year.

For jewelry, try SHOPNBC.com. Or better yet, go to New York City.

You may be able to get a good price. However, there are other aspects involved. Twenty years from now I'm sure the bracelet my mom bought for me in St. Maarten when I brought my parents on a cruise with us will mean far more to me than something from SHOPNBC.com.

St Maarten is the best place to shop for jewelry. you never pay the sticker price and never pay the first price they give you. Just tell them I am sure you can do a little better than that and 9 0ut of 10 times they will. You will also get a free cold beverage or beer while looking around in most shops.

Beverly's in St. Thomas both in Phillipsburg and Havensight Mall are great for one of a kind items. If you are looking for diamonds they have a great selection. If you buy your diamond loose there is no duty on it. I have sent many people there over the years and not one complaint. No, I don't get anything for doing this. You may want to ask for Amit. :D

Beverly's in St. Thomas both in Phillipsburg and Havensight Mall are great for one of a kind items. If you are looking for diamonds they have a great selection. If you buy your diamond loose there is no duty on it. I have sent many people there over the years and not one complaint. No, I don't get anything for doing this. You may want to ask for Amit. :D

Depends on what you are looking for, what price range you desire, etc. All of the islands have some shops that are better than others. I have to agree though that Goldsmitty on Antigua is one of the absolute best. DH and I both have several pieces from there. We get lots of compliments and the prices are reasonable. The shop is easy to find and they are very friendly. His pieces are very unique and you won't see that at other shops. (As previous posters said...some shops are just the same thing from shop to shop and island to island....but the ones at GS are unusual and very nice.)

In St. T we love H. Stern but it is on the more expensive side. In St. M we like one of the Joe's (there are multiple shops but one we like better) as well as Kay's.

Some of the stores you will see on all of the islands (or at least most of the islands).

Definitely check out Goldsmitty in Antigua and H. Stern in St. T.

If you are going to be in St. Maarten - check out Mr. Tablecloth and another shop whose name excapes me but it is across the street and about 3 blocks

from - near the Guavaberry factory.

Mr. Tablecloth sells fantastc bargins in - what else table cloths. We bought the microfiber variety 54x90 with 8 napkins for $34 and a 54x108 with 12 napkins for $44. Also bought a couple for friends who just love them. Talk about throw in the wash and not iron.

The other shop sells among other things silk pajamas for kids.

Bought a pair for my 4 1/2 yr old grand daughter in January. She finally fit into it in June - Full set of PJ's with slippers for $12.95 ( Chinese style)

Being a blonde she really looks cute. These are fantastic gifts at very cheap prices.

We also like Joes and Kay Jewelers on St.Maarten

Archived