Weather at sea and NZ in March

Whether the sea is calm or rough or somewhere in between is the 'luck of the draw.' Travelling to NZ at any time of year you have to be prepared for cool or even cold weather. It will not be hot. You asked about swimming on sea days. Obviously the first couple of days and the last couple will be the warmest.

Have a great trip.

And if you are on a ship with a roof over the pool it will be warmer.

We were in NZ a few weeks ago and plenty were swimming (even though Dunedin was 4degrees).

Too cold for me, but I notice that the OP is from Adelaide so is probably used to cooler temperatures than I am. :)

The roof over the pool will keep the air temperature warmer, but I think the pools are filled every day with fresh sea water. People usually comment that the water in the pool is very cool. I cannot confirm. I take my swimmers with me on every cruise and keep meaning to have a swim, but don't seem to find time.:D

Edited by Aus Traveller

It is my understanding that Explorer is like Voyager, no roof over the Solarium pool as well as none over the main pool?

We have been cruising NZ various years in November, January/February, and later in March. On Solstice, Voyager and Radiance. It can depend a lot on the wind direction. A cool strong southerly will blast through the pool decks. A nice day with low wind and sunny it can be quite hot.

Same on land for port days. We have been at Wellington on a 14c day, but with sunshine and low wind the day was lovely and warm. We have been at Tauranga in September for a land holiday and the days were in the low 20's and due to believing it would be "so cold in NZ" I only had jeans and long sleeves and got quite hot!

So my answer is - depends on the weather!

Edited by goodycruising