Bringing UAV, Quadcopter, "AKA" Drone on Conquest

navyvet8395

Who here has recently brought there "drone" on the cruise? Before all the "flaming" starts... It will be only used while ashore since it requires Compass Calibration which cant be done correctly due to all metal on the ship. Anyhow.. Its a P3P that will be in a hard case inside a suitcase. I will be on the Conquest next week and would like to bring it for use in some of the ports.

Actually they aren not prohibited, according to Carnival's own site regarding prohibited items. The site has two things that sort of contradict themselves.

First it says any radio controlled flying toys are prohibited, but if you go to the bottom of the list it says for items allowed in port only, drone cameras.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/kw/prohibited%20items

Edited by GoofyCdn

Actually they aren not prohibited, according to Carnival's own site regarding prohibited items. The site has two things that sort of contradict themselves.

First it says any radio controlled flying toys are prohibited, but if you go to the bottom of the list it says for items allowed in port only, drone cameras.

If that's the case, then it'll probably be handled like a dive knife. Held but available for check out at port.

Who here has recently brought there "drone" on the cruise? Before all the "flaming" starts... It will be only used while ashore since it requires Compass Calibration which cant be done correctly due to all metal on the ship. Anyhow.. Its a P3P that will be in a hard case inside a suitcase. I will be on the Conquest next week and would like to bring it for use in some of the ports.

Id be more concerned with the local laws re: flying the things and whats ok/not ok to film. In some countries its verboten to film people in public without their express permission.

I cannot imagine why you'd bring that on a cruise to a foreign country?

Have you checked any local laws? Wondering what the purpose would be? Not meaning to hurt your feelings but just wondering if it would be appropriate at all in places where you don't know the rules?

This is seriously old information.

But the last time I checked, you were supposed to have a Mexican radio license even if you wanted to bring walkie-talkies to a Mexican AI.

So if you try to bring your drone to Mexico, you might be shaken down for a Mordida for using Mexican radio spectrum.

Puerto Rico and the USVI are under US jurisdiction so if you use it here, you can use it there.

But the last time I checked, you were supposed to have a Mexican radio license even if you wanted to bring walkie-talkies to a Mexican AI.

So if you try to bring your drone to Mexico, you might be shaken down for a Mordida for using Mexican radio spectrum.

Puerto Rico and the USVI are under US jurisdiction so if you use it here, you can use it there.

I think the Conquest is going to St Marteen, St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk. OP should check out any laws governing the use of drones in those ports. That said, OP is probably better off packing it inside a checked suitcase. Could get picked up by scanner, but more likely to be picked up in a carry on going through security as a hard case within a bag will definitely get scanned separately. Would hate to see it confiscated.

There's a website/forum called phantompilots where there is a discussion on this. Also there are drone images of St Martin out on the web. Whether they were taken with or without permission, I don't know.

Edited by crewsweeper

I cannot imagine why you'd bring that on a cruise to a foreign country?

"Because I have one and I just got it and dammit, I'm gonna use it AND I"M GONNA TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF (the ship/the whales/insert whatever thing here) THAN YOUR STINKY MR. RADU* WHOSE PICTURE YOU POST ON THE FB PAGE ALL THE TIME!"<--is probably why.:D

*I think Mr. Radu takes lovely photos.

Thanks for all the replies. Its a Phantom 3 Pro which takes 4K videos. Im going eastern to GT, PR, St Kitts, and St Marten. I have seen allot on youtube with drone flying in those areas, expecially from guys who advertise and promote them. Plus ive seen recent videos where people took theres on Carnival and flown ashore. As far as people getting "filmed" etc. It wont be any different then somebody walking around with a go pro or cell phones, Plus I will be 200-400 ft up in air off the beach out over water. For the people not "educated" on how a drone camera works, at 200ft and up you cannot identify one person from another. All your going to see is "ants" as people.

I understand that checking it is risky. But the case I have is to large to carry on a plane. Its in a hard plastic waterproof/rugged case with foam to keep everything secure. I do have TSA locks for it. Im putting it inside a larger suitcase so its not noticable to onlookers.But being in that suitcase, i dont think it will fit though the security scanner at the port unless I remove it first. I do have contacts on youtube that checks theres on planes all time with no issues. Im still Paranoid though.

I normally drive to all my cruises, but this time everybody decided they want to fly instead. Ive had the drone now for about a year. This is my second one. (still have 2). BTW. Ive flown about 125 flights so far and I do so responsibly. I have close to 2K invested in each one and with that much money spent, I dont fly around like those Idiots you hear about on news.

I havent decided yet if Im taking it. I have 4 days to think it over.

I saw that a few months ago. I was just asking here If anybody took one onboard just recent.

Thanks for all the replies. Its a Phantom 3 Pro which takes 4K videos. Im going eastern to GT, PR, St Kitts, and St Marten. I have seen allot on youtube with drone flying in those areas, expecially from guys who advertise and promote them. Plus ive seen recent videos where people took theres on Carnival and flown ashore. As far as people getting "filmed" etc. It wont be any different then somebody walking around with a go pro or cell phones, Plus I will be 200-400 ft up in air off the beach out over water. For the people not "educated" on how a drone camera works, at 200ft and up you cannot identify one person from another. All your going to see is "ants" as people.

I understand that checking it is risky. But the case I have is to large to carry on a plane. Its in a hard plastic waterproof/rugged case with foam to keep everything secure. I do have TSA locks for it. Im putting it inside a larger suitcase so its not noticable to onlookers.But being in that suitcase, i dont think it will fit though the security scanner at the port unless I remove it first. I do have contacts on youtube that checks theres on planes all time with no issues. Im still Paranoid though.

I normally drive to all my cruises, but this time everybody decided they want to fly instead. Ive had the drone now for about a year. This is my second one. (still have 2). BTW. Ive flown about 125 flights so far and I do so responsibly. I have close to 2K invested in each one and with that much money spent, I dont fly around like those Idiots you hear about on news.

Its the yellow case on top of the other one.

20150905_231135.jpg.cbc0792889ea7d3e7592ab529aec9342.jpg

There are many places in the U.S. where it is illegal to fly drones as well as many places where there are altitude restrictions. For example, drones were banned over the Macy's day parade route. Someone was flying one taking pictures and he was arrested and the drone confiscated. There are also restrictions around and over airports and military installations as well as governmental buildings. Who knows what laws actually exist in the ports of call without doing a significant amount of research.

i too have a phantom 3 pro, just recently aqquired.i would love to take mine on a cruise holiday but would not want any hassle if it was banned when i got there.

anyway,look on utube for P3P videos,there is one of a guy aboard a carnival ship docked in port flying it over and around the ship.

Does it use lithium ion batteries? If so those may have to go in carry on.

I would bring and the worst is Carnival could say no and hold it to the end of the cruise. check the laws and rules for each port and if its not allowed just don't fly it in those ports. I don't think you will have a problem. I would love to have one.

Edited by mmckm

They are on the prohibited list. Good luck getting it on board. Be aware that most of the island have laws that prohibit their use.

They are on the prohibited list. Good luck getting it on board. Be aware that most of the island have laws that prohibit their use.

They allow "drone cameras". Ive seen plenty of youtube videos where there flown while ashore in many of the ports.

They only recommend that you keep the drone in your cabin while not in use and while onboard, etc.

Ive decided due to me flying to FLL from Atlanta and the hassle of traveling with a bunch of people and crap, lugging bags around for 10 hours before the return flight home, (thanks to my sister, she says its cheaper)and her making threats that she will "raise hell".... I WONT be taking my Phantom 3 Pro on this trip... Last time I remember, Im a grown adult and the oldest sibling in the family, I should not let my sister push me around. Its bad enougth That I have to deal with early sitting dinner whenever we go as a family... LOL.

Next cruise I WILL be DRIVING to the port and I will bring the drone... And coming without family members...

Edited by navyvet8395