Convince me to stay in South Beach

tggs726

I've sailed from Miami many times and almost always stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami across from Bayside precruise. I have spent very little time in South Beach and am sort of wanting to try something new for my pre-cruise stay in July.

Can someone convince me to stay in South Beach versus doing my usual? And if you are so inclined please include hotel suggestions there.

-Matt

Are you coming in from the airport? Extra taxi fare plus depending on day and location hotels can be more. Best thing about SoBe is the party atmosphere at night and the strolling along the malecon or on the beach.

If you're not into that scene, not sure why you want to go the extra expense for hotels and taxi fare including to the port.

For lower priced but good hotels check out Villa Paradiso or La Flora on Collins 2 blocks in from Ocean Drive. A number of dining options are nearby either of these places or along Ocean.

Are you coming in from the airport? Extra taxi fare plus depending on day and location hotels can be more. Best thing about SoBe is the party atmosphere at night and the strolling along the malecon or on the beach.

If you're not into that scene, not sure why you want to go the extra expense for hotels and taxi fare including to the port.

For lower priced but good hotels check out Villa Paradiso or La Flora on Collins 2 blocks in from Ocean Drive. A number of dining options are nearby either of these places or along Ocean.

While the party scene may be a deciding factor for my November sailing with my buddies, the July sailing is with my wife so its not a big factor. I was looking at the Savoy hotel and thought it might be nice to have the pool and beach right there was we get in relatively early the day before the cruise. The date i was looking at the Savoy was only $40ish more than the Holiday Inn POM. Seemed worth it to have the extra amenities.

Thanks for the response.

-Matt

Stayed at a more quiet part of Ocean Drive at Edgewater South Beach. Smaller boutique hotel, a 24/7 Walgreens around the block.

Also stayed at the Intercontinental, also a great hotel and really convenient for a stay the night before. But we preferred the look and feel of South Beach, with the beach and Ocean Drive it's more Miami than the Bayfront park. IMO. :)

What do you like to do?

If you like to people watch and possibly the beach and to walk to different places for breakfast, lunch, dinner than that might be the place to stay.

At the same time, July is hot so think about how much time you want to be outside.

In our case, we like to visit South Beach but we prefer to stay on Brickell but further away than the Holiday Inn.

Keith

South Beach CAN be 24/7 party but it can also be a romantic weekend with your wife.

The reason we like South Beach so much aside from the beach, is because the hotels, shopping, and dining are far superior to anywhere else in Miami.

If you are trying to compare South Beach to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami your bar is set pretty low.

While the party scene may be a deciding factor for my November sailing with my buddies, the July sailing is with my wife so its not a big factor. I was looking at the Savoy hotel and thought it might be nice to have the pool and beach right there was we get in relatively early the day before the cruise. The date i was looking at the Savoy was only $40ish more than the Holiday Inn POM. Seemed worth it to have the extra amenities.

Thanks for the response.

-Matt

Savoy is fantastic!! I lived on South Beach for a few years, just 1/2 block away from Savoy, and also stayed at Savoy another year (when I wasn't living on South Beach) during the South Beach Food and Wine Festival. It is a great beachfront property, in the highly desirable "South of Fifth" area.

Keep in mind though, that these boutique hotels were once old apartment buildings, so the rooms are small and the walls can be very thin. Another downside is the parking is not onsite, but either across the street for something like $30/day, or there is a garage nearby (if you don't have a car, it's not an issue).

However, there is absolutely no comparison, location wise and amenities wise, to Holiday Inn. Hands down, spend the extra $40 for Savoy.

In the hot summer months, we are usually poolside anyway, with a bar and cool vibe.

Edited by brunello22

South Beach CAN be 24/7 party but it can also be a romantic weekend with your wife.

The reason we like South Beach so much aside from the beach, is because the hotels, shopping, and dining are far superior to anywhere else in Miami.

If you are trying to compare South Beach to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami your bar is set pretty low.

This right here.

South Beach is, in my opinion, the nicest location to be around Miami. The dining options are top of the line, the beaches are beautiful, the clubs are a fantastic way to have a great time with the wife. Miami is nice but some locations can be hit or miss, I've yet to have a bad experience in South Beach. Check up for events as well, there is always something going on there, who knows, it could be enough incentive to sway your decision.

Any information on Villa Italia? I was looking at reviews on Trip Advisor and while they are all good, sometimes I wonder if the hotel is having employees do reviews!! Those of you who are local....what do you think of it? :o

Any information on Villa Italia? I was looking at reviews on Trip Advisor and while they are all good, sometimes I wonder if the hotel is having employees do reviews!! Those of you who are local....what do you think of it? :o

I don't know the hotel but I dislike the location.

Are there other choices? I've found The Catalina, The Essex, and the The Clay Hotel to be good deals.

I don't know the hotel but I dislike the location.

Are there other choices? I've found The Catalina, The Essex, and the The Clay Hotel to be good deals.

Thanks - I'll check those out! I'm currently booked at the Vicroy....but South Beach is so beautiful! I just don't want to be in the middle of all the parties! I'm a very light sleeper and heard the area South of Fifth was peaceful which is why I was looking there!

I'll be sailing solo....so I want to be safe. I'm from metro Detroit so I know how to walk smart...not after dark, etc.....but I do enjoy walking around!

Haven't stayed at that hotel, but I'm very familiar with the location as I used to live 1 block away, on 3rd and Collins. "South of 5th" area on South Beach is a very desirable location. Close enough to the fun, but far enough from the crowds. Lots of little boutique type hotels, i.e. old apartment buildings converted to hotels. Beach is 2 blocks away, Big Pink is right around the corner and just a few minutes walk to Ocean Drive.

I am also looking for advice for a nice place for three women to stay in South Beach that is near the shopping area, I think its Lincoln Avenue but not sure.

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine had a layover for a night, so she was booked at the Hampton Inn on 17th and Collins. I stayed over with her. Right across from the Delano, 1 block from Lincoln Road (shopping), and across the street from the beach (accessible at Lincoln Road, adjacent to Ritz Carlton). The hotel was recently renovated, comfortable room, free breakfast.