POA Hawaii 1/16

marybon

Anyone on this site who is going on this cruise? We are planning on getting to Honolulu on Thursday - and stay and extra two days post cruise. Our concern really is about the excursions - the road to Hana especially - 9 1/2 hours???:(

Looking for advice re: what to see/do and what to see post cruise - we've cruised before but somehow this cruise seems too short and we're stressing about not seeing everything, being rushed.....help:cool:

Join your roll call to meet others on your cruise, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2150583

The was to see "everything", as frequently discussed here, is by a land vacation, not a cruise ship. Of course you want to see everything that interests you, not what anyone here says is must see. There are dozens of threads here explaining things in each port. So some reading would be very helpful.

Does whale watching interest you? If so, while on Maui, grab an excursion, and experience the amazing interactions. You will be there during peak whale season.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Anyone on this site who is going on this cruise? We are planning on getting to Honolulu on Thursday - and stay and extra two days post cruise. Our concern really is about the excursions - the road to Hana especially - 9 1/2 hours???:(

Looking for advice re: what to see/do and what to see post cruise - we've cruised before but somehow this cruise seems too short and we're stressing about not seeing everything, being rushed.....help:cool:

Best advice I can give you is to forget excursions. You can easily see much more from your own rental car and for much less money. Book in advance and take the shuttle from the cruise dock. You can keep the car overnight in Maui and Kauai. Most of Hawaii is "drive up" and the driving is very easy. With only two days in Maui, I don't know that I'd spend an entire day on the Road to Hana, there is just so much more to see that is worthwhile. I have done the drive through upcountry to the summit of Haleakala twice, and may do it a third time soon. Just beautiful. Lahaina is nice as is nearby Kaanapali Beach area. You can book snorkel trips from both these areas. If you end the first Maui day in the Lahaina area you can prebook the Old Lahaina Luau and have dinner and a show off the ship. The Pacific Whale Foundation offers very inexpensive whale watch tours from Ma'alea. But you probably will see them from the road, the beaches and any other type of boat that gets you out on the water.

Read down the board for info on car rentals, trip reports, and what people see and do in Hawaii. Or simply Google each island to see what interests you.

The road to Hana is a remarkable drive through the rain forest with switchbacks and many waterfalls with rainbows. The real reward for me was was just past Hana to "The Seven Sacred Pools". It was an experience I'm glad I didn't miss.

It's a long trip and you need some time to enjoy yourself at the pools and stops along the way. You won't be able to see and do everything important on Maui in one day in port. Pick the most important to you and maybe sometime in the future come back for a week stay.:)

.... this cruise seems too short and we're stressing about not seeing everything, being rushed.....help:cool:

Look at this trip as an opportunity to see a couple of highlights on each island. If you enjoy Hawaii as much as most people do, you can come back and cruise again, or do a land trip which would allow you to explore one or more islands more in-depth (depending on how long of a trip you do.)

The excursions offered on Norwegian's website are the highlights on each island - suggest reading through them to get some ideas - make a short list from the ones that sound appealing to you and then narrow it down further to your 'must do' list. If you prefer not to do the ship's excursions, you can sightsee on your own with a rental car or with a small group tour.

You do not have to see "everything" as this is a vacation from work and you need some R&R as well. Focus on 2 quality sites a day and let the rest just happen. Too much planning will allow you to see things but you need to experience it also. ;)

Here's a link to my POA thanksgiving cruise and the sites we visited. It was a good pace without being rushed or time wasted. The only site you should add is Waimea Canyon in Kauai on day 2. We saw it 10 years ago so passed on this visit.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-1/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=519588

You do not have to see "everything" as this is a vacation from work and you need some R&R as well. Focus on 2 quality sites a day and let the rest just happen. Too much planning will allow you to see things but you need to experience it also. ;)

Here's a link to my POA thanksgiving cruise and the sites we visited. It was a good pace without being rushed or time wasted. The only site you should add is Waimea Canyon in Kauai on day 2. We saw it 10 years ago so passed on this visit.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-1/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=519588

I would not, plan on Waimea Canyon day 2, i suggest day 1, as it can be fogged in with poor visibility. IF you take a look and you can't see it, you have later chances if you do this early in your visit. If you leave it to your second day, you could miss it completely.