No more last-minute cruise?!

guxu

I see availability on Glory out of Miami on December 19th. $704 inside and $949 balcony (plus port/tax).

It is interesting. Saw it on carnival.com, (it was not there yesterday), balcony and suite only.

The web site we should not mention does have inside as $704. But after I clicked Book, the inside became $1,669 per person.:eek:

It is interesting. Saw it on carnival.com, (it was not there yesterday), balcony and suite only.

The web site we should not mention does have inside as $704. But after I clicked Book, the inside became $1,669 per person.:eek:

I saw it on Carnival's website this afternoon when I made the post. I don't see it now though. Guess you're not the only one looking. :(

Edited by winddawn

Go to one of the online booking sites that has lots of lines listed and use that to check. Don't try the individual lines you'll go crazy. You also need to be aware that some of the OL TAs may have cabins reserved that show up as sold on the cruise line's sites but are actually open.

I thought they had to turn in unsold inventory around final payment date? OL TA's still have reserved rooms 1 week before the ships are scheduled to sail?

Bill

I thought they had to turn in unsold inventory around final payment date? OL TA's still have reserved rooms 1 week before the ships are scheduled to sail?

Bill

Only if they're held within a group reservation. TAs can sell any cabin.

Plenty of rooms on the Pride the week of Jan 3rd. Out of Baltimore.

I took that cruise date a few years ago on the Pride. The one right after New Years. The price was great. The ship was quiet. It was the most laid back relaxing Carnival cruise I've ever been on. Very few lines. This year the kids are coming with us so we had to take the New Years cruise on the Pride, so no one is missing school. I like that date right after New Years. Maybe next year

I saw several Holland America ships sailing from Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 19 & 20. Good prices. On one (I think the Westerdam), ocean-view cabins were showing up as cheaper than insides. On Holland, the other passengers are definitely older than on Carnival, but the food is great, and the ships are beautiful.

Good luck with your search. And your choice!

To 45014: you know we're not allowed to name travel agents, or travel sites, right? Sorry.

I didn't think Westerdam was beautiful at all. Adult pool aft is raggedy, teak needs to be restained and all the walls there are white with no decoration at all. They had some risqué pool games!

I didn't think Westerdam was beautiful at all. Adult pool aft is raggedy, teak needs to be restained and all the walls there are white with no decoration at all. They had some risqué pool games!

I was on the westerdam at the beginning of November and have to disagree. It is a beautiful and elegant older ship. Since it's currently in the Caribbean the ages are lower and there will definitely be some kids.

I didn't think Westerdam was beautiful at all!

I was on the westerdam at the beginning of November and have to disagree. It is a beautiful and elegant older ship. Since it's currently in the Caribbean the ages are lower and there will definitely be some kids.

We sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska. The best way for me to describe it is: inconsistent. The ship has some tasteful and wonderful spots, like the Crow's Nest, the Greenhouse Spa, the lido pool with its retractable roof, and the Pinnacle Grill. But then it has other venues that leave you scratching your head, with tacky and gloomy decor, or areas that look neglected and could benefit from new carpet or wall coverings. The "multi-million dollar art collection" throughout the ship also seems to be inconsistent, with some very tasteful and understated pieces, and others that looked like kindergarten art class rejects. But where the Westerdam truly shined was in the small details. White gloved service, room service in fine china, laundry delivered in wicker baskets wrapped in tissue paper with a gold seal, fresh flowers throughout the ship, unobtrusive announcements, and just a general level of service that may go unperceived by many.

About fellow passengers: We'd read many times that the average age would be anywhere between 80 and the grave, so we were surprised to see that the crowds were very much at par with what we've encountered on Carnival or Royal Caribbean. A little bit of everything, from young to old, from singles, to couples and families, and from first time cruisers to seasoned travelers. The main difference was a more sophisticated overall vibe. Formal Night truly means formal. No free liquor, gold chain sale, or bingo announcements. No hairy chest contests or bartending competitions, but instead enrichment lectures and demonstrations.

With all of that said, we had a wonderful time on the Westerdam, but I agree that it's not everyone's cup of tea. I would do it again for a unique itinerary, but not on a cookie cutter Caribbean itinerary where the focus is more on the ship.

Edited by Tapi

Call Carnival directly. I never rely on any online site to give me up to date information.

The site we use has been spot on for years. We go to that site and then call our PVP directly and they match almost perfectly with the cabin availability and the price.

Its a great way to choose a cabin location with the PVP instead of them just throwing out cabin numbers.

Take care,

Vinnie