Brilliance vs Indy for Transatlantic. Which one?

DaddyBytes

I am trying to decide between the Brilliance TA on April 26, 2016 (14nt) and the Indy TA on May 1st, 2016 (13nt). Being that I will be on the ship for a majority of the time, the onboard experience is at the top of my priority list this time around. Ports are less important, I am fine with both itinerary's.

I was leaning towards Indy because it has the Promenade, and I figured I would appreciate that more than the Centrum - considering the length of the cruise.

I am cruising solo in a balcony.

So any suggestions or comments with regards to these ships for a TA? Pro's/Con's with Brilliance vs Indy for a TA?

Thank you!

I'd probably go with Indy, mostly because it ends up in the UK.

However, you can't go wrong with either ship. Shipwise, I'd give an edge to Brilliance for the outside views, covered Solarium and Park Cafe.

Although only having done 2 TA's I would lean towards Indy due to the promenade and generally having more space than Brilliance IMHO.

One of my TA's was on Liberty and the other on Adventure (Voyager class) and although I've sailed on Brilliance and enjoyed it, for multiple sea days I would still consider a larger ship.

Edited by peteukmcr

It's a little late as OP has already booked Indy, but I will add my comments anyway. Having cruised both, if ship/on-board environment/entertainment is the deciding factor, Indy wins in a landslide -- not even close. Our one and only TA (still probably my favorite cruise of all time) was aboard Independence and its size and variety of things to do were great for the sea days -- e.g. shops and venues of the Royal Promenade; Ice Shows (and ice skating if you care to); Flow Rider; etc. Plus a Freedom class ship's larger size gives you at least a little more stability in rougher weather.

Having been on Radiance class ships the last three cruises, I am not enthralled by the "acres of glass" factoid. Independence has plenty of places where you can get a good view from inside [just as the Radii have plenty of places where you can't]. Plus, the outdoor venues [which I much prefer to begin with] are, in my opinion, better on Independence -- at the very least there are more of them.

Now, having said the above, I think the Radii are fine ships. I enjoyed all of the cruises I have taken aboard them. Plus, the westbound TA route frequently traveled by the Radiance class TA -- British Isles, Iceland, ending in Boston or somewhere else in the northeast has a lot of appeal to me, so I might choose a Radiance class ship for that itinerary. But since you are headed east (with similar itineraries) and if the ship is the destination, Independence is the way to go.

Edited to add: And don't forget Brilliance still has those carnivorous shower curtains.

Edited by mjldvlks

It's a little late as OP has already booked Indy, but I will add my comments anyway. Having cruised both, if ship/on-board environment/entertainment is the deciding factor, Indy wins in a landslide -- not even close. Our one and only TA (still probably my favorite cruise of all time) was aboard Independence and its size and variety of things to do were great for the sea days -- e.g. shops and venues of the Royal Promenade; Ice Shows (and ice skating if you care to); Flow Rider; etc. Plus a Freedom class ship's larger size gives you at least a little more stability in rougher weather.

Having been on Radiance class ships the last three cruises, I am not enthralled by the "acres of glass" factoid. Independence has plenty of places where you can get a good view from inside [just as the Radii have plenty of places where you can't]. Plus, the outdoor venues [which I much prefer to begin with] are, in my opinion, better on Independence -- at the very least there are more of them.

Now, having said the above, I think the Radii are fine ships. I enjoyed all of the cruises I have taken aboard them. Plus, the westbound TA route frequently traveled by the Radiance class TA -- British Isles, Iceland, ending in Boston or somewhere else in the northeast has a lot of appeal to me, so I might choose a Radiance class ship for that itinerary. But since you are headed east (with similar itineraries) and if the ship is the destination, Independence is the way to go.

Edited to add: And don't forget Brilliance still has those carnivorous shower curtains.

Thank you. I appreciate the additional feedback.

Our first of 5 TA's was on the Indy and we still remember her with great fondness. I will sail her again and wait expectantly for the 2017 TAs to be released. I agree that the promenade is worth the price of admission. Great ship with a really smooth ride even in rougher seas which you may experience as you cross the bay of Biscay heading for London. Of course we are prejudiced in favor of the UK. Getting from Southampton to London is easy and London is still a favorite place to visit. Enjoy.

• 2 months later...