Zika virus in Caribbean/Central/South America

wendychloecruiser

St Lucia has issued warnings particularly to pregnant woman regarding the spreading of the Zika virus across the Caribbean. It can cause birth defects. Costa Rica, Columbia, Guatemala and Brazil are also affected areas. The Netherlands also has reported cases stemming from Suriname. To non pregnant people, it seems that it presents with a mild, viral type illness, nothing to get any knickers in a knot. This is not an epidemic, just a warning to those who may be pregnant.

Zika fever is a mosquito-borne viral disease caused by Zika virus (ZIKV), consisting of mild fever, rash (mostly maculo-papular), headaches, arthralgia, myalgia, asthenia, and non-purulent conjunctivitis, occurring about three to twelve days after the mosquito vector bite.

I think I'm going to take some mosquito repellent just in case.

The risk for pregnant women is in the first two trimesters...exactly when they CAN travel.

60-80% of people are asymptomatic therefore the risk is minimal for non pregnant people. The little biting vector mossies are active during the day, not the typical dusky evening timeframe suggesting that day time mosquito repellent is indicated.

Can infected persons transmit to another..we are cruisers, dtr is pregnant?

No, it's not contagious but apparently it can be sexually transmitted. Please don't trust me nor this site for information... Ask your health care professional. Google has plenty of references.

If you're planning on going into wooded, jungle-like areas, then definitely arm yourself with a good mosquito repellant. Otherwise, you should be fine.

actually if anyone is coming down to Rio I'd suggest a good repellant, pregnant or not. We are seeing many cases here in the city.

We used insect repellent earlier this year when we visited the Caribbean and other places such as Pacific Ocean Islands at the recommendation of our cruise line.

Keith

Best to be safe,

Just need to remember to apply some repellent prior to sex as well as it may be sexually transmitted.:p