Fort Lauderdale suggestions?

Donny-Joe

We're flying in on the 19th for the Dec 20th Nieuw Amsterdam cruise (our first HAL cruise!), and staying in Ft Lauderdale (at the Hyatt Pier 66). We get in about noon, so we have an afternoon and evening on our own. Does anyone have any suggestions for sightseeing or dining? We are a family of 4 with two teenage sons (high school senior and college senior). We've never been to South Florida. Any suggestions as to fun things to see/do/eat would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed there last year, nice property. Water taxi is a great idea, they have a very nice restaurant right on the property. We were able to eat outside and take in all the mini cruise ships;);) docked in the slips.

If your up for a walk you can cross the bridge, cross the street and there is a large area with restaurants, shops, and place to pick up last minute items. You are right across the street from where the ships dock so its a short cab ride over to board. They did not have a shuttle when we stayed but things might have changed.

Enjoy your short time in Ft. Lauderdale and the cruise.

The water taxi is quite a bit more than $7 - but still a great idea in my opinion. I'd pre-purchase my tickets though, since it's very popular this time of year. If you decide to take the water taxi, be sure to stay on after dark. You'll get to see all the holiday decorations on the houses and boats along the intracoastal waterway. It's definitely a nice way to see the sights. There are two routes in Fort Lauderdale: One goes downtown, up the New River. The other goes north along the intracoastal waterway towards Pompano Beach. If you only have time for one, take the downtown/New River route.

You'll want to take the route that goes up the New River. You can hop off at one of the restaurants along the water and grab a bite to eat and some drinks.

http://watertaxi.com/fares/

You can also walk along the beach if you like. You'll want to get one of the little, inexpensive shuttles, Uber or a taxi and just have them drop you at A1A and Las Olas Blvd. From there, you can walk north until you feel like turning around and then head back south until you are tired of walking. There's plenty to see, eat and drink along the beach.

Another option is to head down to Las Olas Blvd, downtown. You'll need a cab or Uber to get there from the Hyatt. You'll want to be dropped at about the intersection of Las Olas Blvd and SE 12th Ave. From there, walk west on Las Olas.

Yellow Cab is (954) 777-7777. For Uber, you'll need the app on your phone. Set it up before you leave home if that's the way you're leaning.

Your hotel has a nice casual waterside spot called the Pelican Landing. The Hyatt also has a great restaurant called Grille 66.

http://pier66.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining.html

The water taxi is quite a bit more than $7 - but still a great idea in my opinion. I'd pre-purchase my tickets though, since it's very popular this time of year. If you decide to take the water taxi, be sure to stay on after dark. You'll get to see all the holiday decorations on the houses and boats along the intracoastal waterway. It's definitely a nice way to see the sights. There are two routes in Fort Lauderdale: One goes downtown, up the New River. The other goes north along the intracoastal waterway towards Pompano Beach. If you only have time for one, take the downtown/New River route.

You'll want to take the route that goes up the New River. You can hop off at one of the restaurants along the water and grab a bite to eat and some drinks.

http://watertaxi.com/fares/

You can also walk along the beach if you like. You'll want to get one of the little, inexpensive shuttles, Uber or a taxi and just have them drop you at A1A and Las Olas Blvd. From there, you can walk north until you feel like turning around and then head back south until you are tired of walking. There's plenty to see, eat and drink along the beach.

Another option is to head down to Las Olas Blvd, downtown. You'll need a cab or Uber to get there from the Hyatt. You'll want to be dropped at about the intersection of Las Olas Blvd and SE 12th Ave. From there, walk west on Las Olas.

Yellow Cab is (954) 777-7777. For Uber, you'll need the app on your phone. Set it up before you leave home if that's the way you're leaning.

Your hotel has a nice casual waterside spot called the Pelican Landing. The Hyatt also has a great restaurant called Grille 66.

http://pier66.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining.html

The food is very good there. I was tired after a long day of shopping etc. and I was too lazy to walk anywhere. I ate in the bar and was expecting nothing. It was really very good. I enjoy that hotel much more than the overrated embassy suites, but the embassy suites has a better location.

We were in Ft. Lauderdale the first part of December. We really enjoyed the water taxi, rate was $26.00 pp with $21.00 for Senior Citizens. Ticket is good all day, you can hop on, hop off. Great way to see Ft. Lauderdale and the view at night is very cool.

The Sun Trolley is a inexpensive way to check out the beach as well as the 17th street area.

The we enjoyed the beach for 4 hours, great people and ship watching.

Check out Coconuts for some waterside seafood. (nearby a water taxi stop, and a Sun Trolley stop). Shooters is a waterside sports bar that has its own water taxi stop. Good food, reasonable prices.

Water taxi is a great suggestion.

There is also a cruise tour offered of "the Venice of Florida" with the opulent homes of the rich and famous. It can be kind of fun and wasn't an unreasonable cost when we did it.

We have stayed at several hotels in FLL and Embassy Suites still wins for us for a very edible breakfast, manager's reception and great location if you want to pick up any wine, last minute toiletries or go shopping.

Ross' just a step away and a new fave of mine at the Harbour Shops.

There is also nothing wrong with relaxing at the pool. Lunch by the pool (very good) was welcomed by us when we got off the Oceania.

We were in Ft. Lauderdale the first part of December. We really enjoyed the water taxi, rate was $26.00 pp with $21.00 for Senior Citizens. Ticket is good all day, you can hop on, hop off. Great way to see Ft. Lauderdale and the view at night is very cool.

The Sun Trolley is a inexpensive way to check out the beach as well as the 17th street area.

The we enjoyed the beach for 4 hours, great people and ship watching.

Check out Coconuts for some waterside seafood. (nearby a water taxi stop, and a Sun Trolley stop). Shooters is a waterside sports bar that has its own water taxi stop. Good food, reasonable prices.

The sun trolley is a great deal.

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! The water taxi sounds like a winner, and it's good to know the food at the hotel is good. I did some poking around the usual travel sites and was intrigued by the Bonnet House and Gardens. Has anyone done that? My wife and I both enjoy a good garden, and the kids are surprisingly OK with them as long as we don't spend all day.

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! The water taxi sounds like a winner, and it's good to know the food at the hotel is good. I did some poking around the usual travel sites and was intrigued by the Bonnet House and Gardens. Has anyone done that? My wife and I both enjoy a good garden, and the kids are surprisingly OK with them as long as we don't spend all day.

Well worth a visit. It doesn't look like there are any special events the day you're there, but you'll have a nice time regardless.

We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam cruise with you! We're driving down from Chicago and will stay at my mom's condo and then she will join us on the cruise. Four of my children will be on board - daughters (31, 27, 18) and son (25).

One of our favorite places in South Florida is the boardwalk in Hollywood. You can walk on the beach for miles and the other side is restaurants, kitchy shops, a music shell, bikes to rent, etc.

You can't beat the price of the Sun Trolley. They also have a Trolley tracker app so you can see where the trolleys are. Not too shabby for something that costs a buck.

http://www.suntrolley.com/

I've got it downloaded on my iPad. I'm scared to put it on my phone. Even though I turn my data off somehow I get extra charges on my bill every time I go to the USA :rolleyes:.

We are a family of 4 with two teenage sons (high school senior and college senior).

Not that it's super important to the question, but I just realized I got this wrong - our sons are a college freshman and a high school freshman (18 & 15). D'oh!

Not that it's super important to the question, but I just realized I got this wrong - our sons are a college freshman and a high school freshman (18 & 15). D'oh!

Hopefully your younger son won't see your post about his being a high school senior. Otherwise, he'll probably want a car. ;)

I've got it downloaded on my iPad. I'm scared to put it on my phone. Even though I turn my data off somehow I get extra charges on my bill every time I go to the USA :rolleyes:.

I'll have to test it out to see how well it works. I'm not really a Trolley rider, seeing as how I just drive my car, but I can look to see how well it tracks. We're outside of operating hours at the moment, but I can check tomorrow.

I'll have to test it out to see how well it works. I'm not really a Trolley rider, seeing as how I just drive my car, but I can look to see how well it tracks. We're outside of operating hours at the moment, but I can check tomorrow.

That would be awesome. When I was there on a Sunday I bet I waited for about 45 minutes. I was going to take a taxi at that point but I thought sure as heck it would show up then. It can be a source of entertainment. You get all types on there.

Grab the water taxi and head to Las Olas Blvd. lots of shops and plenty of places to eat. You pay a flat rate (I think $7 pp) and you ride it all day.

I second this plan. We also like to go to the Ft. Lauderdale public beach just above the Ft. Lauderdale sign. Good beach/changing house/meter parking that is not as horrible as some in Florida. My daughter lives in FLL so we are always looking for cheap options:p We have been thrown out of some of the better hotels -- security on properties are very strict so can't go lobby surfing (son was in hotel management so we like to check those places out!) and you will probably need your own hotel beach or public beach -- again many of the beach access places are governed by a coded bracelet or card. If your sons like HUGE hamburgers, an on water (canal side) restaurant called Le Tub is a fun place to eat and cost is on the cheap side for Lauderdale. Burgers are sooo good! I've seen water taxi there but the pilot was just picking up an order which was delivered by a bucket on a rope arrangement.

Funny you are going to FLL and my daughter is flying out that night for Quebec for some cold winter weather!:D

If your sons like HUGE hamburgers, an on water (canal side) restaurant called Le Tub is a fun place to eat and cost is on the cheap side for Lauderdale. Burgers are sooo good!

Le Tub is outstanding, but very "rustic." However, it's in Hollywood and it's kind of out of the way from where Don is staying. Also, there is now a huge Margaritaville Hotel across the street from Le Tub, so it's going to be much more crowded than you remember. They've got some wicked tasty frozen rum punch / rum runners. Spring for the rum floater on top.