Don't need internet on Pride of America

tempus137

Just finished the 12/5/15 cruise on the Pride of America, and I'm glad that I didn't pay for an internet package.

We have Verizon wireless, and were on the Verizon network 90% of the time. The only time off the network was for parts of the overnight sails. (interestingly, my tablet computer got Verizon service inside my cabin and all over the ship, but not in the bathroom in my cabin.

The rare occasion that I needed my laptop computer, I was able to use my Android phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Just finished the 12/5/15 cruise on the Pride of America, and I'm glad that I didn't pay for an internet package.

We have Verizon wireless, and were on the Verizon network 90% of the time. The only time off the network was for parts of the overnight sails. (interestingly, my tablet computer got Verizon service inside my cabin and all over the ship, but not in the bathroom in my cabin.

The rare occasion that I needed my laptop computer, I was able to use my Android phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

I agree tempus137. It was so nice to be able to stay in touch with home without the cost of a package or out of country phone rates.

It was great meeting you. Hope you had a good flight home. I felt like I was flying in a blender on mine:(.

OP, what internet packages were being offered last month (recently) on the POA ?? Did POA added cellular and/or satellite tower recently ? Or, iConcierge added with partial/full APP functionality :confused:

If so, I stand corrected & missed it. A few years ago, we sailed between the islands overnight & there're no coverage while at sea - once we're away from and in-between islands .... Otherwise, once we are close to ports, we always managed to reach land-based cellular towers. NCLA isn't in a position to jam or interfere with those island signals - hotel chains tried & quickly backed away, with strong warnings from FCC.

Excellent information, thank you! :)

OP, what internet packages were being offered last month (recently) on the POA ?? Did POA added cellular and/or satellite tower recently ? Or, iConcierge added with partial/full APP functionality :confused:

If so, I stand corrected & missed it. A few years ago, we sailed between the islands overnight & there're no coverage while at sea - once we're away from and in-between islands .... Otherwise, once we are close to ports, we always managed to reach land-based cellular towers. NCLA isn't in a position to jam or interfere with those island signals - hotel chains tried & quickly backed away, with strong warnings from FCC.

The standard Internet packages were offered, but since I didn't bother with it I don't know the details.

As I said, we lost service between ports but not immediately. POA hasn't added anything, and iConcierge didn't help. In fact I usually turned wireless off so the 4g would work.

Pardon so what may I ask was so important for bathroom internet service ? ROTFL LOL (Rolling On Tile Floor - LOL)

On another note if you have usable cell phone service then internet service

should not be a problem even 7-10 miles out to sea from major sea ports.

Better reception on the higher decks - line of sight to cell towers on land.

I have been 20 miles off the coast of Monterey CA and had brief cell/internet

service with Verizon.

• 1 month later...
Don't shout too much about it or NCL will start looking for a way of either shutting it down or charging for it!! :eek:

Mike

They won't be doing that any time soon!

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jammer-enforcement

And yes I would be very upset if my ipad mini4, on Verizon, did lose its signal in the head. That's the only peaceful place a guy can enjoy a break, you know?! :D