New to Royal...A Few Questions

pirate4me2

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board, but as you can see from my signature I am not new to cruising! I spend most of my time on CC over on the Carnival boards as that has been my cruise line of choice so far, but I am looking into trying RCL out. I have wanted to try it for a while as the ships look beautiful and it might be nice to switch things up a bit. :) My mother has never cruised before, so we were looking at a shorter cruise for her to try cruising out to see if she likes it. We were thinking of trying the Enchantment of the Seas out of Miami, can you all tell me a little bit about that ship? What kind of amenities (ie fun stuff!) things does she have onboard? Any staterooms that you would recommend that may be better than others? We were looking at an interior room. Any tips about this particular ship? The itinerary we were looking at calls on Nassau, which I have been to before, and Cocoa Cay, which would be new to me. Any excursions that you would recommend for Cocoa Cay? Also, what differences would I notice between Carnival and RCL?

Ok, so I guess I lied in my title, I had more than a few questions! Thank you all for any information you can provide.

You didn't mention when you'd be travelling but if it's during the / winter months you should check the Independance doing 4 or 5 night itineraries out of FLL. The Indy is a lot new than the Enchantment with so many more activities to offer. The Freedom class ships are wonderful.

Check out the website for info on the Indy and also the Enchantment.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=ID&br=R

I can tell you that Coco Cay is a RCCI private island, much like Labadee. It is basically a beach day. Barbecue dinner is served on the island and the rest of the day you would mostly be relaxing some where under a palm tree or swimming.

I have never done a Carnival Cruise but I understand the age of the passengers is going to be older on most RCCI ships. Less partying and more relaxing.

Dennis & Sue Here From the Charleston, SC area.

The Bahama 3 and 4 day cruises out of Port Canaveral on board the Enchantment are our favorite getaways. A half days drive and we are there.

In May 2016 Enchantment moves to Miami with the same 3 Day itinerary and the 4 Day itinerary a with the addition of Key West to the 4 Day. First Cruise out of Miami is May 3.

We have sailed the 3 and 4 day itinerarys out of Port Canaveral, 3 times on Soverign, 11 times on Monarch and 8 times on Enchantment.

We have really enjoyed the Enchantment, for a seventeen year old ship that sails with up to 4,800 passengers each week, we think She's great...

The Enchantment is unique in the Vision Class. She was cut in half and a 73 foot section added That included 151 new staterooms, outdoor trampoline bungees, Boleros Lounge, suspension bridges, an expanded pool area, a 64-jet interactive fountain area for kids, and floor windows allowing an unobstructed view of the ocean below and more.

I would recommend the 4 Day Itinerary (3 Days and it seems like you are packing to soon).

I would also recommend an ocean view cabin, just to have the window to look out. (We have been in interior, ocean view, balcony and Junior Suite cabins.)

There is plenty to keep you busy onboard.

The Enchantment is just a FUN ship.

Check her out at:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=EN&br=R

Dennis & Sue...

It is one of their older ships and does not have the amenities that the newer larger ships have. Voyager and Freedom Class I feel are nicer. The Oasis Class are much larger with even more!

Edited by ken_nyc

It is one of their older ships and does not have the amenities that the newer larger ships have. Voyager and Freedom Class I feel are nicer. The Oasis Class are much larger with even more!

It may be older, but it does have the covered adult Solarium (with Park Cafe) that Voyager and Freedom class are missing.

For your first time cruising with Royal I would definitely try Independence of the Seas. I haven't yet, but we will be booking her especially since she will be having a broadway show starting in July. If you wanted a truly magnificient experience I would book the Oasis or Allure but Indy does offer the shorter cruise.

As you see from my signature I use to cruise Carnival but since Royal, I haven't looked back to Carnival.

My fiance and I just did Majesty of the Seas out of Miami (I think Enchantment is doing that itinerary now..we did the one that goes to Nassau, Coco Cay & Key West) and it was a great starter cruise for his first (AND I got him hooked!)

My fiance and I just did Majesty of the Seas out of Miami (I think Enchantment is doing that itinerary now..we did the one that goes to Nassau, Coco Cay & Key West) and it was a great starter cruise for his first (AND I got him hooked!)

Enchantement does not start cruising out of Miami until May 2016.

Sorry, that's what I meant.. now meaning when she is going, in June, it'll be the old Majesty trips and Majesty moving to another port, I believe..

Yes, Majesty and Enchantment are swapping, to Majesty ends up in Port Canaveral. Another difference is there is no stop in Key West on the 4-day cruise out of Port Canaveral, they do a sea day instead.

You didn't mention when you'd be travelling but if it's during the / winter months you should check the Independance doing 4 or 5 night itineraries out of FLL. The Indy is a lot new than the Enchantment with so many more activities to offer. The Freedom class ships are wonderful.

Check out the website for info on the Indy and also the Enchantment.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=ID&br=R

We are looking at winter 2016/2017 for sailing as most of my PTO time for next year is already taken up with cruises we have already booked.

Dennis & Sue Here From the Charleston, SC area.

The Bahama 3 and 4 day cruises out of Port Canaveral on board the Enchantment are our favorite getaways. A half days drive and we are there.

In May 2016 Enchantment moves to Miami with the same 3 Day itinerary and the 4 Day itinerary a with the addition of Key West to the 4 Day. First Cruise out of Miami is May 3.

We have sailed the 3 and 4 day itinerarys out of Port Canaveral, 3 times on Soverign, 11 times on Monarch and 8 times on Enchantment.

We have really enjoyed the Enchantment, for a seventeen year old ship that sails with up to 4,800 passengers each week, we think She's great...

The Enchantment is unique in the Vision Class. She was cut in half and a 73 foot section added That included 151 new staterooms, outdoor trampoline bungees, Boleros Lounge, suspension bridges, an expanded pool area, a 64-jet interactive fountain area for kids, and floor windows allowing an unobstructed view of the ocean below and more.

I would recommend the 4 Day Itinerary (3 Days and it seems like you are packing to soon).

I would also recommend an ocean view cabin, just to have the window to look out. (We have been in interior, ocean view, balcony and Junior Suite cabins.)

There is plenty to keep you busy onboard.

The Enchantment is just a FUN ship.

Check her out at:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=EN&br=R

Dennis & Sue...

Wow, thank you for all of that info on her! Very helpful! We are from the Asheville, NC area and I love Charleston. I am sailing from there next May, I can't wait to come back down to your town. It's so beautiful, and it is a spot dear to my heart as my husband proposed to me there. :)

I am intrigued by the Oasis class ships, but I am not sure my mom would like being on such a large ship. We (my husband and I) may try Oasis/Allure/Harmony in the future if we decide to do one of the "mega ships."

It may be older, but it does have the covered adult Solarium (with Park Cafe) that Voyager and Freedom class are missing.

Is there a fee to enter the Solarium, or is it free like the Carnival Serenity area? I do enjoy my time in Serenity with no kiddos running around.

That's the plan, to try and get my mother hooked. ;) Right now she doesn't understand why I enjoy cruising so much, and I try and tell her but I think experiencing it would help her understand.

Is there a fee to enter the Solarium, or is it free like the Carnival Serenity area? I do enjoy my time in Serenity with no kiddos running around.

The Solarium is free. If you have rough weather or anything that prevents the main pools being used, the age restrictions are waived and anyone can use the Solarium. I find it's a very relaxing place myself.

I... Is there a fee to enter the Solarium, or is it free like the Carnival Serenity area? I do enjoy my time in Serenity with no kiddos running around.

No fee for the Solarium.

The age to use the pool is 16 and over. However, with Park Cafe being in the Solarium and open to all ages, it's not the quiet area it used to be. Normally, the folks with kids will stay on the periphery, where there are tables for Park Cafe. However, you will occasionally see the "rules are for everyone else" folks letting their kids in the Solarium Pool. The pool attendants are usually pretty good about enforcing the rules.

Edited by clarea

Hello everyone!

IWe were thinking of trying the Enchantment of the Seas out of Miami, can you all tell me a little bit about that ship? one of the smallest and oldest ships in the fleetWhat kind of amenities (ie fun stuff!) things does she have onboard? she does not have the bells and whistles of other shipsAny staterooms that you would recommend that may be better than others? spring for a Junior Suite or betterWe were looking at an interior room. Ideally you want a balcony to soak up the sunshine and views Any tips about this particular ship? she was our first ship and while she isn't fancy she's still got serious charmThe itinerary we were looking at calls on Nassau, which I have been to before, and Cocoa Cay, which would be new to me. Any excursions that you would recommend for Cocoa Cay? Also, what differences would I notice between Carnival and RCL?

Ok, so I guess I lied in my title, I had more than a few questions! Thank you all for any information you can provide.

WRT to differences: they are FAR more alike than not when it comes to service, food, amenities and the like. however we vastly vastly VASTLY prefer Royal. BUT a 4 day out of Miami will attract the younger drink til you puke crowd any time of year, but triply so during Spring Break. not an environment I'd want to bring my mother to.

The Solarium is free. If you have rough weather or anything that prevents the main pools being used, the age restrictions are waived and anyone can use the Solarium. I find it's a very relaxing place myself.

Perfect. :) Thanks for that info!

No fee for the Solarium.

The age to use the pool is 16 and over. However, with Park Cafe being in the Solarium and open to all ages, it's not the quiet area it used to be. Normally, the folks with kids will stay on the periphery, where there are tables for Park Cafe. However, you will occasionally see the "rules are for everyone else" folks letting their kids in the Solarium Pool. The pool attendants are usually pretty good about enforcing the rules.

That makes me glad to hear about them enforcing the rules. I have seen kids in the adult only pool a few times, and once a mom brought her baby in with a swim diaper on. I was a little disgusted and immediately got out, and nobody seemed to care or ever asked her to leave. So I am glad to hear that the attendants enforce it on RCL! I love Carnival, don't get me wrong, but that is one area where I have seen some slack.

WRT to differences: they are FAR more alike than not when it comes to service, food, amenities and the like. however we vastly vastly VASTLY prefer Royal. BUT a 4 day out of Miami will attract the younger drink til you puke crowd any time of year, but triply so during Spring Break. not an environment I'd want to bring my mother to.

I like my balcony rooms, and when we look at prices I may spring for one if it isn't too much more. I have sailed in interior rooms and do not mind them like I thought I would. In regards to the sailing length, my mom was actually the one who chose that length. I told her it may be more of a "booze cruise" atmosphere, and she was Ok with it. She's not old (upper 40's) and is pretty cool so who knows, she may end up on the dance floor! Haha, j/k.