New Cancellation Rules

SuiteCruiser

This change is one of those "who really cares" issues. How often do you book a cruise and have to cancel in the first place? Secondly for those who buy the cruise insurance this is a total non issue at all. Pick your battles people... :eek:

I have cancelled as many cruises as I have taken. Fortunately well outside of any penalty period but still. Just because the change doesn't impact me doesn't mean that I am incapable of seeing how it can impact others (and even though this may negatively impact only a small percentage of people is irrelevant, it is still a customer unfriendly policy).

If "add ons" means excursions and the like then that could be significant- when I purchase my cruise insurance I do so within 15 days of booking my cruise and at that point I haven't purchased any excursions (or other "add ons") which means I don't include those amounts in the coverage. So when I do buy those things in order to be covered in case of cancellation I have to go through the hassle of having my policy amended or purchasing another policy to cover the extras. Now, add ons may mean something else entirely but since NCL doesn't bother to define the term who really knows?

That won't be happening. As you know, the cancellation policy changes apply to new bookings made after Jan 1, 2016. The cancellation terms will and final payment dates will not be "unexpected".

It may be a whole month earlier compared to past bookings, sure. But how relevant is that?

To you and I it's not relevant but I can see how it could be relevant to someone (heck, it wasn't that long ago that it would have been relevant to me, which may be why I can see how it could impact someone else).

Shocking that you think this is a positive. How about people having to pay their balance off a whole month earlier than they expected? That's a big change, lots of people actually budget for their trips, and lots of people take more than one a year. Just because your annual Haven trip isn't affected, doesn't mean you need to talk down to those who travel more frequently in lower cabins.

Were did that poster say it was a positive at all? Stop putting words in other people's mouths just to suite you argument.

So ... I posted my humorous take on NCL making all these changes and it has been deleted. Did someone take me seriously? Is satire not allowed? I have seen satirical and very funny comments on everything from the wearing of bath robes to the carrying out of food from the buffet.

Shocking that you think this is a positive. How about people having to pay their balance off a whole month earlier than they expected? That's a big change, lots of people actually budget for their trips, and lots of people take more than one a year. Just because your annual Haven trip isn't affected, doesn't mean you need to talk down to those who travel more frequently in lower cabins.

Don't you purchase trip insurance? It is pretty inexpensive.

My point is not really about myself, and yes, I leapt to the conclusion that that particular poster was saying something positive about the change, I cannot fathom why I would have done that :)

I'm thinking more about the people that had longer to pay down their cruises, and now they don't. There are lots of people out there that book a cruise and set aside a certain amount per pay to have it paid off and this new rule has thrown a wrench into the works. They need to know about it ahead of time, and book a month earlier, unless they suddenly have more money per pay to put down on it.

I think it's unfair to say there is no impact, when there is for many. It doesn't impact me, but that doesn't mean I will declare it doesn't impact anyone.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

what do you consider inexpensive?

Bill

It is certainly less expensive than losing the entire amount spent on a cruise, or any medical expense on the trip. I know for us, when our return flight was canceled (United) in Denver during Comicon, the only hotel we could secure late that night was $450 per night, with cab rides at $75 each way, it was worth is when our insurance reimbursed us for the trip interruption, the entire $600. I suppose it is what is important to each of us. I, for one, will spend a small percentage for peace of mind. That is what I consider inexpensive.

My point is not really about myself, and yes, I leapt to the conclusion that that particular poster was saying something positive about the change, I cannot fathom why I would have done that :)

I'm thinking more about the people that had longer to pay down their cruises, and now they don't. There are lots of people out there that book a cruise and set aside a certain amount per pay to have it paid off and this new rule has thrown a wrench into the works. They need to know about it ahead of time, and book a month earlier, unless they suddenly have more money per pay to put down on it.

I think it's unfair to say there is no impact, when there is for many. It doesn't impact me, but that doesn't mean I will declare it doesn't impact anyone.

So just start saving two weeks (or however long) earlier. This really isn't as big an issue as some are making it out to be is all.

So ... I posted my humorous take on NCL making all these changes and it has been deleted. Did someone take me seriously? Is satire not allowed? I have seen satirical and very funny comments on everything from the wearing of bath robes to the carrying out of food from the buffet.

I saw your post and thought it was hilarious. Maybe some thought you were being serious and did not get the satire. Too bad for them. But just wanted you to know, I "got it". Wished for a Like button when I read it!

So just start saving two weeks (or however long) earlier. This really isn't as big an issue as some are making it out to be is all.

So they should start booking a month earlier, even though they won't know until after they book, unless they're on CC.

I get it, not a big deal for most, I didn't make a big deal of it, but it does affect some people and dismissing them isn't fair either.

I think we're also going to be hearing about people missing their final payment date as they're used to the old way. I cruise several times a year, and I remember that a cruise is due, based on whether I'm in a suite or not, I know how far in advance I need to pay. Often I have 5 booked at the same time. I'm now well aware of the changes, but there are going to be others that won't pick up on it, especially those who book themselves, so I expect we'll be hearing from them.

No, it's not a big deal by itself but it's another customer unfriendly change on the part of NCL and added all together represents a major shift in their perspective of the customer. (Put a small pebble in a glass of water and the affect is negligible, add a hundred and the glass will overflow:).)

So, if I am reading the new cancellation policy right, if I cancel before final payment then I will receive a full refund, right?

If that is the case, then no big deal for us but just want to make sure.

That's the way that I read it, too. In re-reading the new policy a spelling correction in a name can count as a cancellation, so everyone should make sure their names are spelled correctly when they book (I know, they haven't enforced this before but that doesn't mean that they won't enforce it going forward).