Decline in Quality and Choice of food on Eurodam

DeirdreTours

We were on Eurodam for the Atlantic Coast cruise, October 4th. Overall, we found the food to be very good. Our Waitstaff was awesome and probably the best we've ever had and our Room Attendants were also very good. We had no complaints and thought the Staff and Crew were very good. Also thought the Cruise Director, Simon, was very good and Captain Timmers is great. Such a nice man with a great sense of humor! Very enjoyable!

We are very disappointed though with the limited choices on the Menu on Gala Nights but this is a fleet wide complaint! We made note of that on the Survey as well as another fleet wide complaint with regards to the cutbacks on Vista and Signature Ships eliminating The Neptunes in Ocean Bar and the Guitar player in Crow's Nest.

Edited by idiebabe

The more I cruise the more I am totally convinced that a certain number of issues where we get "bad" no "good" volleying in messages relate to the specific ship leadership for that particular cruise. This fall on the Volendam I was more impressed then ever with the quality of service, friendliness, helpfulness, etc. of the staff and crew, top to bottom! I could not have asked for anything more as far as the staff and crew and anything they had control over. Captain was out and about many days and would stop to ask chat with random folks. Same for the Hotel Manager and the Executive Chef (and the Assistant Executive Chef).

Daily during breakfast and lunch times on sea days (we had many, many of them), the Exec. Chef and/or the Asst. Exec. Chef would make their rounds on the Lido, going around talking not only with passengers but crew. Many a day I heard the chef asking crew how they were doing, in one case asking was an injury getting better. Ever so friendly gentlemen. At dinner (MDR, Early seating) the Assistant Exec. Chef almost every evening covered much of the area, stopping to ask how things were, pointing out things needing attention to crew, etc.. I have never experienced such oversight before.

This attention and concern trickled down to the steward level on this cruise. So attentive, helpful, willing to get alternate food, etc.

I will agree that the beef was not up to previous standards, not as tender or juicy. However, the quality of beef provided is not under the control of the Chef - how it is prepared is. Hopefully they also give feedback to Seattle about the decline in passenger satisfaction with the beef. (Mine was always sufficiently tasty and very edible , just not of the quality I have been used to receiving on HAL.)

… Captain was out and about many days and would stop to ask chat with random folks. Same for the Hotel Manager and the Executive Chef (and the Assistant Executive Chef).

Hello wander,

Who was the captain on your cruise ?

Do you think it will be there on my next Volendam cruise in February 2016 ? (Asian Adventures)

According to his work schedule …?

Thank you in advance for answers that some of you could give me.

Holacanada from Quebec City

Edited by holacanada

We were on Eurodam for the Atlantic Coast cruise, October 4th. Overall, we found the food to be very good. Our Waitstaff was awesome and probably the best we've ever had and our Room Attendants were also very good. We had no complaints and thought the Staff and Crew were very good. Also thought the Cruise Director, Simon, was very good and Captain Timmers is great. Such a nice man with a great sense of humor! Very enjoyable!

We were on the same cruise and agree completely. I enjoyed the Q&A session with the Captain in the showroom. Captain Timmers was extremely imformative about the operation of his ship and did it with a sense of humor.

Also the rooms were never made up before mid afternoon 2-3pm

one day it was done when we returned from breakfast to get our bag to go ashore

I only saw my room steward in the hall twice have no idea what his name was as he never introduced himself

Last yr there was a card on the desk with the room stewards name on it & he came by the 1st night to meet

seemed like there was a cut back in the stewards this yr

We were on the Eurodam for the November 29 sailing and had a terrific experience with our room stewards. (For the record, we were just in a standard ocean view cabin.) They greeted us when we arrived the first day, gave us a card with their names and told us the number to call if we needed them. We encountered them several times in the hallway and always received a friendly greeting and asked about our day. The cabin was cleaned promptly every day.

We sailed on the EurodM from November 22 to December 7th. I thought the food in the MDR, Pinnacle and Tamarind was very, very good! We saw our room stewards in the hall often and they Always called us by name.

We never heard a Disparaging word from any crew member. The attitudes were always upbeat and positive.

That was our experience on the November 29 sailing of the Eurodam. Everyone we encountered (cabin stewards, wait staff, deck hands) greeted us warmly. Staff in the Lido restaurant were often humming, whistling, or joking with one another. Seemed a real upbeat crew to us.

That was our experience on the November 29 sailing of the Eurodam. Everyone we encountered (cabin stewards, wait staff, deck hands) greeted us warmly. Staff in the Lido restaurant were often humming, whistling, or joking with one another. Seemed a real upbeat crew to us.

We just got off this sailing too and found the staff engaged, happy, endearing and attentive and also joking with each other in a playful way. some even recognized us on shore and said hello, because we are that way on board too... happy, and also joking with each other in a playful way. we were never disappointed with our food. any day at sea is a good day, and we understand that feeding thousands of people can be a challenge. we take all these things into consideration. i am sorry that the originator of this post had a personally bad experience. that is never fun. that was not my take on my vacation, however. wishing everyone a happy holiday and a wonderful new year. looking forward to booking my next Holland america cruise already.

Food is so subjective.

Our experience on HAL, and on other cruise lines, is that the MDR food can range from poor to excellent depending on the ship and the particular cruise.

We may have wonderful food on a voyage and quite believe that it was not so on the pre ceding or subsequent cruise on the same ship. It happens. When we hear that cruisers report having wonderful food on a ship that we will be taking in a month, two months or so or that the food is terrible it does not impact us very much. We recognize the growing inconsistencies between ships in the same fleet and between specific voyages. We have even experienced that inconsistency between MDR meals on the same cruise-food and service.

I will suggest that it is happening more often on all lines because of the seeming decrease in the quality of the food, the variety of offerings, and the level of service. Not only aHAL issue though since I think it is true of all of the mass market cruise lines. Perhaps Prinsendam is an exception, I would not know.

Edited by iancal

We were on the Eurodam for the November 29 sailing and had a terrific experience with our room stewards. (For the record, we were just in a standard ocean view cabin.) They greeted us when we arrived the first day, gave us a card with their names and told us the number to call if we needed them. We encountered them several times in the hallway and always received a friendly greeting and asked about our day. The cabin was cleaned promptly every day.

We were on the Nov 1st sailing so maybe things improved for yours or they had a crew change

It was a chartered cruise same as last year but the crew experience was so much different from last Nov

We were on the Nov 1st sailing so maybe things improved for yours or they had a crew change

It was a chartered cruise same as last year but the crew experience was so much different from last Nov

Different areas of the ship might of had better cabin stewards. I was in cabin 5111 and mine were almost the worst stewards I've ever had. My experience was 100 % different in 2013. They were great. I generally have excellent cabin stewards.

Different areas of the ship might of had better cabin stewards. I was in cabin 5111 and mine were almost the worst stewards I've ever had. My experience was 100 % different in 2013. They were great. I generally have excellent cabin stewards.

5117 this year worst room steward

1097 last yr great room steward

As I read the different threads I am amazed how consistent the complaints are from cruise line to cruise line. It seems that the CEOs are competing to see who can cut the most to increase the bottom line without suffering a major loss of their most loyal customers. I know that they are all in business to make profits but there is usually a mutual agreement that if the product is great, the passenger will return ensuring a steady income stream. At a certain point, repeat but disgruntled passengers will look elsewhere for a better experience.

In general my take on the comments in this thread are likely very accurate. Things can change on the same ship on any two consecutive weeks. I have always enjoyed most excellent service from room stewards, but then again I have always generously tipped them on the first day of the cruise and pretty much told them what I expect. Usually things like keeping our ice bucket full, etc.

That said, I think everyone with any record of cruising HAL the last decade has seen the slow decline in the quality and quantity of the dinner service. Food quality has fallen off terribly these last few years. One of my favorites was I always looked forward to the first night Prime Rib dinner, however the last couple of cruises I have been served a thin piece of something resembling rubber and no longer order the dinner. My belief is that instead of paying and serving only the best, HAL now shops like most of us. Sometimes at the market you get a good steak, sometimes not.

One of my recent cruises was on Seaborne. Some of the best food I have had anywhere and the service was ++++. But it definitely shows that you get what you are willing to pay for.

We are certainly looking elsewhere for a different vacation experience. Partly due to what we perceived as less product value from the cruise lines, partly driven by higher prices, and our desire to spend much more time in certain ports/locales.

We have an AI booked in January, a longer independent land trip in Feb/March and are now planning for an extended land trip in next winter. We are not considering a cruise at this point in time. But who knows, that could change if a sweet cruise offer comes along.

This is the first time in a very long while that we either don't have a cruise booked, are not actively shopping for one, or have a specific cruise on our bucket list.

Edited by iancal

We are certainly looking elsewhere for a different vacation experience. Partly due to what we perceived as less product value from the cruise lines, partly driven by higher prices, and our desire to spend much more time in certain ports/locales.

We have an AI booked in January, a longer independent land trip in Feb/March and are now planning for an extended land trip in next winter. We are not considering a cruise at this point in time. But who knows, that could change if a sweet cruise offer comes along.

This is the first time in a very long while that we either don't have a cruise booked, are not actively shopping for one, or have a specific cruise on our bucket list.

I know so many people on the board think a cruising vacation is such a great deal. My next cruise thru the Panama Canal (15 days) is costing me over $6k for an oceanview room when I factor air into the equation and air only makes up $700 of it. I could take a beautiful vacation at a luxury all inclusive for that. Fact of the matter is I don't enjoy it so I take a cruise.

I know so many people on the board think a cruising vacation is such a great deal. My next cruise thru the Panama Canal (15 days) is costing me over $6k for an oceanview room when I factor air into the equation and air only makes up $700 of it. I could take a beautiful vacation at a luxury all inclusive for that. Fact of the matter is I don't enjoy it so I take a cruise.

You didn't get a good deal. I have done that cruise, not exactly but close and payed with my wife in a small balcony $2360.00 total with 200 OBC. Flight obviously vary depending on many factors but if it matters we payed $230 per person round trip. We try to stay around $100.00 per day with flights.

In general my take on the comments in this thread are likely very accurate. Things can change on the same ship on any two consecutive weeks. I have always enjoyed most excellent service from room stewards, but then again I have always generously tipped them on the first day of the cruise and pretty much told them what I expect. Usually things like keeping our ice bucket full, etc.

<SNIP>

"Tipping" up front before service is rendered is not tipping, it is bribery.;) And I imagine some stewards might be somewhat offended, as they take pride in doing a good job. We have never, ever done that, and we have enjoyed excellent service anyway. We tip during and/or at the end of our cruise.

"Tipping" up front before service is rendered is not tipping, it is bribery.;) And I imagine some stewards might be somewhat offended, as they take pride in doing a good job. We have never, ever done that, and we have enjoyed excellent service anyway. We tip during and/or at the end of our cruise.

Amen. It always seems to me that the bribing passenger is saying "hey, we want better service than all the others on this deck, so here's some money to make it happen."

I was on the Eurodam for the Nov. 29 sailing. The food was consistently fine, except for our one meal in the Pinnacle, when the tomato broth of the seafood cioppino was way too salty. Only other negative comments dining-wise would be 1) the orange juice - one morning I am quite sure it was a mix of fresh-squeezed and from-concentrate. No big deal, for me at least, and the next morning it seemed normal (for HAL, i.e. all fresh); and 2) a couple of waiters (one in MDR and one in Pinnacle) were sort of flighty and messed up in a few minor ways. If your table is assigned a younger dining steward, especially one using hair gel or wearing trendy eyewear, be ready to cut them some slack.

Our stewards were fine, even above average, although we are very flexible as regards when they service the room - just once per day would be fine, and anytime between late-morning and early evening would be fine.

Overall, the staff seemed even more pleasant than normal (this was our 6th HAL cruise), and we had an exceptionally positive experience with an individual working at the front office.

In short, IMHO there is no reason to avoid the Eurodam. In fact, it is the one ship I've sailed on twice and sort of stands out as a ship I would favor. I think human nature is such that when a certain level of good or bad observations on a vacation tends to set the tone for the remaining experience.

You didn't get a good deal. I have done that cruise, not exactly but close and payed with my wife in a small balcony $2360.00 total with 200 OBC. Flight obviously vary depending on many factors but if it matters we payed $230 per person round trip. We try to stay around $100.00 per day with flights.

I could have gotten a Panama cruise for around half that price if I left it until the last minute to book. Hal puts you over a barrel when you book earlier. That said, the price is even higher now than when I booked. I am speaking all in for this cruise (cruise, pre hotel, insurance, cabana and air). This is a single supp price. I realize I didn't get a good deal. Nowhere in my post did I say I did. What you paid for your cruise is of no concern to me. I live in the western part of Canada. If you live closer it's pretty obvious the air would be less. I can't fly to Vancouver for $230 and that's close.

Edited by cruz chic

Amen. It always seems to me that the bribing passenger is saying "hey, we want better service than all the others on this deck, so here's some money to make it happen."

Absolutely. Frankly I'm always surprised when people mention that they do that.

I was on the Eurodam for the Nov. 29 sailing. The food was consistently fine, except for our one meal in the Pinnacle, when the tomato broth of the seafood cioppino was way too salty. Only other negative comments dining-wise would be 1) the orange juice - one morning I am quite sure it was a mix of fresh-squeezed and from-concentrate. No big deal, for me at least, and the next morning it seemed normal (for HAL, i.e. all fresh); and 2) a couple of waiters (one in MDR and one in Pinnacle) were sort of flighty and messed up in a few minor ways. If your table is assigned a younger dining steward, especially one using hair gel or wearing trendy eyewear, be ready to cut them some slack.

Our stewards were fine, even above average, although we are very flexible as regards when they service the room - just once per day would be fine, and anytime between late-morning and early evening would be fine.

Overall, the staff seemed even more pleasant than normal (this was our 6th HAL cruise), and we had an exceptionally positive experience with an individual working at the front office.

In short, IMHO there is no reason to avoid the Eurodam. In fact, it is the one ship I've sailed on twice and sort of stands out as a ship I would favor. I think human nature is such that when a certain level of good or bad observations on a vacation tends to set the tone for the remaining experience.

Maybe I missed it but I don't anyone said that the eurodam should be avoided. I had some serious issues on the ship (watered down oj wouldn't even register with me). I do want my room cleaned earlier in the day because I'm usually out of the cabin by 8. I can imagine if you were the type that doesn't leave the room until 10 or 11 cleaning later would be totally acceptable.