CocoCay

KKMurphy2

We missed CocoCay again last weekend due to the weather on Enchantment (2nd cruise in a row for us). When you don't arrive to Nassau until 12, and we wanted to be back before dark, we did not have too much time to explore anywhere. I feel like in the past we never missed it, and it certainly is one of our favorite destinations. Maybe we are just unlucky, or are their safety standards higher with the litigious society that we are in? Is it time to build a dock?

They are not permitted to build a dock by the Bahamian government. If it's unsafe to tender, then it's unsafe to tender. When we missed CocoCay last time, we ended up overnighting in Nassau, so it was a great opportunity to have a nice night out on the town.

We've missed Coco Cay WAY MORE than we've made it over the past decade.

We missed it so many times in a row starting with the very first cruise we ever took that I thought it didn't really exist.

It really depends on when you sail. Obviously, if you sail in winter, you're more likely to experience high seas and a higher likelihood of missing the stop. If you sail in summer when seas are calmer, you're pretty likely to make it there.

We have been extremely lucky and have never missed it (missed Grand Cayman once), but we have had to return to the ship early due to weather moving in. They called return to ship during one visit about 3 hours early. We have also been rerouted to Nassau and then caught Coco Cay the opposite day when it calmed down.

Edited by island lady

We've missed Coco Cay WAY MORE than we've made it over the past decade.

We missed it so many times in a row starting with the very first cruise we ever took that I thought it didn't really exist.

You and me both. We finally got there last year. Up until then we were 0 for 4. I was just starting to hope for misses to retain bragging rights. :D

Edited by Big_G

We usually make it around 4 out of 5 times.

I think we've made it 9 of 10 times- with just the recent November trip on the Anthem the only time weather prevented us from stopping.

And that trip- an early day in Nassau was a blessing- as we got to do something we didn't plan for- but only could that day early.

Other that reason- we really love Coco Cay- it's one of our favorite spots.

As others have said we have made it to Coco Cay more than we missed it. We have also spent overnight in Nassau several times and made it there on the return to PC.

The Bahamian government will not allow a dock to be built due to damage to the coral that would occur.

One of the reasons we have stopped doing Eastern Caribbean cruises on Freedom is that if we miss Coco Cay you are left with just 2 ports of call on a 7 night. I agree with Bob and prefer Coco Cay to Labadee. Less walking for the wife and more tropical setting. Not that we don't like Labadee it is just different and we do enjoy the cabanas there.

We feel the same way. Somehow, Coco Cay seems more relaxed and laid back to us than Labadee.

Ditto to that!! :) Could live without ever going to Labadee again...but we sure do love

Coco Cay! And now with Freedom leaving us, Oasis replacement can't go there. :(

Edited by island lady

As others have said we have made it to Coco Cay more than we missed it. We have also spent overnight in Nassau several times and made it there on the return to PC.

The Bahamian government will not allow a dock to be built due to damage to the coral that would occur.

One of the reasons we have stopped doing Eastern Caribbean cruises on Freedom is that if we miss Coco Cay you are left with just 2 ports of call on a 7 night. I agree with Bob and prefer Coco Cay to Labadee. Less walking for the wife and more tropical setting. Not that we don't like Labadee it is just different and we do enjoy the cabanas there.

Hi Ian!! :)

Had a nice cruise on Freedom last week. Will sure miss her!

Edited by island lady

Hi Ian!! :)

Had a nice cruise on Freedom last week. Will sure miss her!

We have an Oasis booked when she comes to PC but we are already considering changing that. Wonder how the really frequent Freedom regulars out of PC are going to deal with it?

Have a Merry Christmas!

Edited by Scotty G

We have an Oasis booked when she comes to PC but we are already considering changing that. Wonder how the really frequent Freedom regulars out of PC are going to deal with it?

Have a Merry Christmas!

Yup, I am one of those. Sigh.... :(

One of the best things about Freedom was being so close to home, and both eastern and western brought us to Coco Cay and Grand Cayman. Oasis is really too big for us, and now can't enjoy either little island favorite, but we decided to do at least one "welcome to Port Canaveral" cruise aboard. We do enjoy the shows, and the specialty restaurants on Oasis.

Still holding out hope they will bring in a third permanent ship to utilize that big (and expensive) new terminal with more than just two ships.

Christmas request to RCI: Please...please bring us a Radiance class, Voyager class, or bring back at least a Vision class since we are also losing Enchantment :( . Celebrity would be awesome also!

Edited by island lady