Quick Princess Insurance Question

Murphey

When we booked our cruise, we bought (and paid for) Princess insurance. If we cancel our trip prior to final payment, will we get our insurance payment back or is that lost? Thank you if you have experience with this.

When we booked our cruise, we bought (and paid for) Princess insurance. If we cancel our trip prior to final payment, will we get our insurance payment back or is that lost? Thank you if you have experience with this.

Purchasing insurance is to guard against further loss. You will not get back the insurance payment.

If you cancel before final payment you should get the insurance cost back. We always add insurance to our bookings and have canceled before final payment more than once. Also, we never pay anymore than the deposit until final payment is due. The only issue that could be a problem is if the deposit is non-refundable.

Edited by ar1950

My understanding is once you have paid for insurance, that money is not refunded if you cancel, even before final payment date. I found this out during one of my first cruises years ago, but I don't think it has changed.

For that reason I always mark insurance no. Then go in and change it to yes prior to making final payment. Keep in mind that you need to make the change prior to making final payment since it cannot be added after final payment.

Edited by RDC1

Princess Vacation Protection is refundable prior to final cruise payment. I have taken advantage of this a few times. Be aware that the look back period for pre-existing conditions is 60 days, no matter when you buy it. The full description is available on the Princess website, sorry I don't have the link right now.

I just looked on my Cruise Personalizer. There is a link to "Boarding Pass and Documents." If you click on that and scroll down, one of the docs is the Vacation Protection pdf file. You might want to print that out to have handy.

Edited by Dietemann

Thanks everyone.....quite a few opposite answers! lol I used to just pay for insurance at time of final payment, but because I now have a pre-existing condition, I wanted to be sure I was covered. We don't know at this point whether we'll cancel or not (final payment is months away), but whether we get our insurance payment back or not could help us make a decision whether to carry forward with the trip or not. BTW, I called Princess and got different answers too! We will live with whatever outcome there is!!

Thanks everyone.....quite a few opposite answers! lol I used to just pay for insurance at time of final payment, but because I now have a pre-existing condition, I wanted to be sure I was covered. We don't know at this point whether we'll cancel or not (final payment is months away), but whether we get our insurance payment back or not could help us make a decision whether to carry forward with the trip or not. BTW, I called Princess and got different answers too! We will live with whatever outcome there is!!

Keep in mind that the pre-existing 60 day look back does not start until you actually pay for the insurance. It does nothing if all you do (as we do) is just add it to the booking and have only paid a deposit. I have a pre-existing condition so I did research this issue. We don't pay anything except the deposit before final payment because if I couldn't pass muster on the 60 day look back by the time final is due then we would we would simply cancel the cruise and get the deposit back. Even with a nonrefundable deposit we usually use FCC's so the $200.00 loss total for both of us is usually less than what the cost of the insurance would be.

Edited by ar1950

Keep in mind that the pre-existing 60 day look back does not start until you actually pay for the insurance. It does nothing if all you do (as we do) is just add it to the booking and have only paid a deposit. I have a pre-existing condition so I did research this issue. We don't pay anything except the deposit before final payment because if I couldn't pass muster on the 60 day look back by the time final is due then we would we would simply cancel the cruise and get the deposit back. Even with a nonrefundable deposit we usually use FCC's so the $200.00 loss total for both of us is usually less than what the cost of the insurance would be.

Hmmmm..... I never have a 60 day period where I am continuously stable. My treatment basically gets changed each 30 day period depending on labs, scans etc. I think our goal now is not to worry about it. Book and try like heck to go.....live while you can and all that stuff!! I have explained to Princess exactly what my situation is and their answer was if "at the time of booking" I was healthy enough travel, I was covered. But, that doesn't sound like it from what I just read. But this is an issue if I cancel after final payment. What will be will be....(I now have a headache-lol)

My mom had pre-existing conditions and I never trusted Princess's insurance for coverage. I read the fine print and even called (and also got conflicting information) and just didn't trust that she would be covered if she got sick on a trip.

I use an agent who is part of a large cruise agency. They had an Allianz policy written just for them that covered pre-existing conditions if the insurance was bought at final payment. Since their coverage is better than Princess's (except for cancel for any reason), it made sense to just buy this. I know most Allianz policy requires to be purchased within 2 weeks to cover pre-existing conditions but am glad that I can buy this other policy.

I do know that if you buy Princess's policy in advance, you do get it back if you cancel at final payment.

Hmmmm..... I never have a 60 day period where I am continuously stable. My treatment basically gets changed each 30 day period depending on labs, scans etc. I think our goal now is not to worry about it. Book and try like heck to go.....live while you can and all that stuff!! I have explained to Princess exactly what my situation is and their answer was if "at the time of booking" I was healthy enough travel, I was covered. But, that doesn't sound like it from what I just read. But this is an issue if I cancel after final payment. What will be will be....(I now have a headache-lol)

This was my Mom's situation - they were constantly changing her meds so the 60 day look back just scared me as far as being covered. I just didn't want to chance it being out of the country and not having coverage.

I wasn't worried about having to cancel the cruise as I could afford the loss of the cruise or could use the cancel for any reason and get future cruise credit, but was worried about having a medical emergency outside of the country and not having coverage (this could be very expensive). Thus, 3rd party coverage made more sense because it is more clear about pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Coral

I think that is probably the best advice that I have heard. Like it!

BTW, I do know that certain conditions that require monitoring and treatment adjustments on a routine basis are covered under the Princess policy.

Edited by ar1950

I think that is probably the best advice that I have heard. Like it!

BTW, I do know that certain conditions that require monitoring and treatment adjustments on a routine basis are covered under the Princess policy.

I disagree to some extent. One really needs to understand the policy that they buy. Or they can be stuck with a four-six figure medical bill when they are denied reinbursement. I know someone who had to file bankruptcy due to a medical bill (on a vacation) that was denied by the insurance company.

There have been many reports for people who think they are covered only to find out that they do not have the coverage that they expect. It is all in the fine print.

I disagree to some extent. One really needs to understand the policy that they buy. Or they can be stuck with a four-six figure medical bill when they are denied reinbursement. I know someone who had to file bankruptcy due to a medical bill (on a vacation) that was denied by the insurance company.

There have been many reports for people who think they are covered only to find out that they do not have the coverage that they expect. It is all in the fine print.

I have no disagreement with anything that you say. It is the reason that I did my homework and vetted the Princess insurance company for my specific needs. I cannot afford to not to be covered. Just giving my experience.

I have no disagreement with anything that you say. It is the reason that I did my homework and vetted the Princess insurance company for my specific needs. I cannot afford to not to be covered. Just giving my experience.

Sorry - I may have quoted you wrong. I just don't want someone with a medical condition to potentially think they could be covered when they may not be. Best to read the policy and ask questions (as you did).