Do Martinique taxis take credit cards?

jeph

I already posted this question on the Martinique "Ports of Call" page, but haven't received any replies-- neither the page nor the island get as many visitors as, say, St Thomas...so I thought I'd put it out here.

I will be one of a party of six planning an independent excursion by hiring a taxi-van right off the pier after exiting the ship on the morning of Jan 6th. IF they are now equipped to take credit cards, as U.S. cabs generally are, that would cut way down on the amount of Euros we would need to have in hand...Does anyone have recent first-hand experience on this point?

Edited by jeph
correction

I already posted this question on the Martinique "Ports of Call" page, but haven't received any replies-- neither the page nor the island get as many visitors as, say, St Thomas...so I thought I'd put it out here.

I will be one of a party of six planning an independent excursion by hiring a taxi-van right off the pier after exiting the ship on the morning of Jan 6th. IF they are now equipped to take credit cards, as U.S. cabs generally are, that would cut way down on the amount of Euros we would need to have in hand...Does anyone have recent first-hand experience on this point?

Sorry...but this isn't a place I would want to "cut down"...I would much rather have the Euros needed than use a credit card...JMHO.

I would never use a credit card with any independent taxi driver, unless you want to take the chance of your card being cloned. Also, they DO take US dollars. But for every private taxi we've taken, they only accept cash.

As mentioned they do not. I don't use credit cards in any taxi and that includes ones in the USA for the reason that Darcie says. There is always the risk of using them at gas stations which we do in the USA but I just don't recommend using them in any kind of taxi anywhere around the world including the USA.

Keith

Martinique is a good place to have a planned excursion with a guide.

Or rent a car. We've done that twice. No problem with credit cards. Not expensive. A couple of depots within a five minute walk. And good roads, up to French standards.

Yes, Martinique is one of the very few places in the Caribbean where USD are not so widely accepted. You'll get by without euros but you need to check before buying.

The USA is the capital of card fraud. And mine was compromised in the US.

I'd be more concerned there than Martinique.

But I'm content that credit cards come with safeguards, as long as I have a couple in case one is temporarily disabled.

JB :)

Thanks for all the replies & info...As for the car rental approach, our group is already up to 6, and might grow larger, so a compact Renault sedan would fall short-- but I can look into whether minivan-size options are available.

I am among those that would never use a credit card in taxi but for an absolute emergency.

In many trips to Martinique, I never had a problem using U.S. $.

It is not one of my favorite islands so recent visits we spend little time ashore.

Edited by sail7seas

Would think that planning an itinerary if renting a vehicle would be very important. On our ship's excursion, we rode through very hilly sections

of Martinique. Pre-planning would be important if one doesn't know the terrain.

Edited by cruiseapril

Would think that planning an itinerary if renting a vehicle would be very important. On our ship's excursion, we rode through very hilly sections

of Martinique. Pre-planning would be important if one doesn't know the terrain.

Hi April,

Fort de France to St Pierre (the former capital devastated by a volcano) is a scenic level coastal road. Then yes, it's a steep drag up to the now-dormant volcano, Mt Pelee. But a good road, no problem for a modern car or van.

You can then return via the central highlands (more hills), or the east coast if you have plenty of time.

JB :)