Aurora embarkation/disembarkation - smooth and efficient

rooftop

Just back from R519 - two weeks in western Med.

Embarkation on 5th Dec was a doddle - embarkation time given on e-ticket was 2.30pm.

We checked out of Hilton at 11.30am (£90 for dinner, bed and breakfast at the Hilton for two adults and one child - bargain) and headed for West Quay where we killed some time and had a coffee.

Turned into Dock Gate 10 at 2.20pm and arrived outside Mayflower terminal at 2.25pm. No queueing - straight into the CPS drop off zone. Minor issue with the luggage porter who seemed to be having a bit of a "domestic" with the CPS staff who registered our car.

Into terminal at 2.27pm, directed straight to a check-in desk, headed straight to security (again no queue) and straight on to the ship. In cabin by 2.35pm.

There were quite a lot of people (a couple of hundred?) sitting in the waiting area check-in desks - I can only presume these people had arrived earlier than their allotted time.

Disembarkation was also as painless - since our last cruise in July 2014, P&O now ask you to go to reception to register a preferred disembarkation time - the earliest available was 8.30am but I opted for 9am. We had breakfast and headed to the Masquerade lounge at 8.45am. We'd been sitting down for less than 2 minutes when they announced they were ready for us. We headed to deck 5 and were straight off the ship and through the baggage claim. Picked up car and were on the road by 9.10am.

If this is how the new procedure is intended to work then I can't fault it.

Just back from R519 - two weeks in western Med.

Embarkation on 5th Dec was a doddle - embarkation time given on e-ticket was 2.30pm.

We checked out of Hilton at 11.30am (£90 for dinner, bed and breakfast at the Hilton for two adults and one child - bargain) and headed for West Quay where we killed some time and had a coffee.

Turned into Dock Gate 10 at 2.20pm and arrived outside Mayflower terminal at 2.25pm. No queueing - straight into the CPS drop off zone. Minor issue with the luggage porter who seemed to be having a bit of a "domestic" with the CPS staff who registered our car.

Into terminal at 2.27pm, directed straight to a check-in desk, headed straight to security (again no queue) and straight on to the ship. In cabin by 2.35pm.

There were quite a lot of people (a couple of hundred?) sitting in the waiting area check-in desks - I can only presume these people had arrived earlier than their allotted time.

Disembarkation was also as painless - since our last cruise in July 2014, P&O now ask you to go to reception to register a preferred disembarkation time - the earliest available was 8.30am but I opted for 9am. We had breakfast and headed to the Masquerade lounge at 8.45am. We'd been sitting down for less than 2 minutes when they announced they were ready for us. We headed to deck 5 and were straight off the ship and through the baggage claim. Picked up car and were on the road by 9.10am.

If this is how the new procedure is intended to work then I can't fault it.

Rooftop we were on the same cruise!

Weather was fantastic wasn't it...

Our embarkation..in a mini suite, our time was 12.30..got there just before that,(terminal was quite full then ,so there are obviously still people turning up before their time. ) was handed the health form ,didn't have time to complete/even look at it before we were pointed to check in. Did that, pointed to the holding pen for high tier and suites. After about 5 mins we were on our way. All well and good. well not quite...cabins not ready so could not drop our bags off there, oh well head for lunch in Carmens...uhm ,not ready there..so we were stood around with all our baggage for about 5 mins or so, before we were let in to sit down, with hand luggage to eat...it was about 1/2 hour before we were told cabins ready....so your embarkation was better than ours...

getting off..well used to be suites could just wander off, now you pick a time..so we picked 8.30 am. Went to Curzons as requested....just gone 8.30, the whole place was told they could go together, so you had 100's approaching the gangway from 3 different directions, dependant on which way you went down to it (lift and stairway). So again yours seemed a better way.

P and O have another chance next year, so they had better not blow it then.

Edited by the english lady

Rooftop we were on the same cruise!

Weather was fantastic wasn't it...

Our embarkation..in a mini suite, our time was 12.30..got there just before that,(terminal was quite full then ,so there are obviously still people turning up before their time. )

This is hardly surprising as in the past everyone was advised (by P&O as well as by every post I ever saw on this forum) to arrive at the terminal when it suited them. We go in eleven days and have heard nothing from P&O about the policy change - if I were not in the tiny minority who frequent forums I would have absolutely no idea anything had altered.

Have others been told direct, or does P&O fondly imagine that their entire customer base is forum/computer savvy. Or perhaps they believe their paying customers will find out by osmosis.

Annie - I go in a week's time and was told via the Cruise Personaliser when the tickets came on line but last week we also got a real letter in the post outlining everything.

Maybe your letter is on its way?

Edited by Scriv

Many thanks, Scriv. Doubt many will notice that the note on the cruise personaliser has changed (if it has - no idea what it said before). Any letter only has a couple of posting days left to arrive before Christmas, and we're off straight after so may well miss their cheery missive:D.

Good luck with the arrival of the baby!

Now I never said it was 'cheery', Annie!!!

Thanks re the wishes re the baby - There may be a chance that they will admit the mum on Christmas Eve, so here's hoping.

And my sister was taken into hospital last night too - suddenly. However she hopes to be out today.

Ever felt someone doesn't want us to go on the New Year Cruise?????

This is hardly surprising as in the past everyone was advised (by P&O as well as by every post I ever saw on this forum) to arrive at the terminal when it suited them. We go in eleven days and have heard nothing from P&O about the policy change - if I were not in the tiny minority who frequent forums I would have absolutely no idea anything had altered.

Have others been told direct, or does P&O fondly imagine that their entire customer base is forum/computer savvy. Or perhaps they believe their paying customers will find out by osmosis.

Sorry I have never seen P&O advise people to just turn up when they liked. People on her have for a long time but many of us have pointed out that things are changing.

There have been letters from P&O recently telling people to turn up at the correct time or face a long wait.

Sorry I have never seen P&O advise people to just turn up when they liked. People on her have for a long time but many of us have pointed out that things are changing.

There have been letters from P&O recently telling people to turn up at the correct time or face a long wait.

That's ok, no need to apologise; we all make mistakes sometimes. First time I ever went on a P&O cruise I rang and checked if I had to arrive at the prescribed time and was told to ignore it and turn up when it suited. Others have posted the same story. Perhaps we've all made it up.:D

I know. As I said before, I haven't had one.

P&O, like everyone else, don't do everything wrong. In fact, in my book they get most things right. However, again like everyone else, they don't get everything right either.

That's ok, no need to apologise; we all make mistakes sometimes. First time I ever went on a P&O cruise I rang and checked if I had to arrive at the prescribed time and was told to ignore it and turn up when it suited. Others have posted the same story. Perhaps we've all made it up.:D

I know. As I said before, I haven't had one.

P&O, like everyone else, don't do everything wrong. In fact, in my book they get most things right. However, again like everyone else, they don't get everything right either.

My point is that it has never been in writing. It is now quite clearly. Turn up at the time advised and you will get on quickly.

Interesting that today they are having loading problems. The high winds and an air bridge problem. So maybe today people are not getting on quite as quickly.

We only got our letter advising us of the new system a few days before we went. Of course I was ahead of them as I had read it on here ;)

I have to say that boarding Oceana was very good. As we had booked our train before we got the boarding time, we arrived at noon for a 1.30 embarkation. Obviously we were prepared to wait, but were given a coloured card and were called about 12.50 and were on board by 1pm

Coming home we asked for 8.30 disembarkation. We left our cabin at 8am, went to the theatre, were called at 8.20 and got a taxi to the station in plenty of time for the 9.45 train.

One thing I should mention is that on other cruise lines, when returning to Southampton, we have been given a paper to fill in with your preferred disembarkation time. I only realised that we were not going to get one, when I happened to see something on the back of the Horizon and went to reception to book.

My point is that it has never been in writing. It is now quite clearly. Turn up at the time advised and you will get on quickly.

Interesting that today they are having loading problems. The high winds and an air bridge problem. So maybe today people are not getting on quite as quickly.

I had no idea it wasn't previously on the VP and would not have noticed had it not been mentioned on here. I can't be alone.

Turn up at the time advised and, if it's like today, you'll end up standing for ages at the terminal. I've been banging on about this for quite a while. Like many others who have problems, but are not in a wheelchair, I cannot take that risk.

I had no idea it wasn't previously on the VP and would not have noticed had it not been mentioned on here. I can't be alone.

Turn up at the time advised and, if it's like today, you'll end up standing for ages at the terminal. I've been banging on about this for quite a while. Like many others who have problems, but are not in a wheelchair, I cannot take that risk.

Then turn up early get a seat and wait.

Then turn up early get a seat and wait.

That's exactly what I intend to do. At least, unlike others, I shall know that a wait is on the cards. My problem is with the lack of communication, not the wait; unfortunately, there is also a problem with some posters almost sneering at those who arrive early, either in complete innocence, or for similar reasons to mine.

Oh well, you always get one or two!:D

Edited by AnnieC

That's exactly what I intend to do. At least, unlike others, I shall know that a wait is on the cards. My problem is with the lack of communication, not the wait; unfortunately, there is also a problem with some posters almost sneering at those who arrive early, either in complete innocence, or for similar reasons to mine.

I have always thought it unhelpful for people to give advice, as many have done, "Oh just go at 11.30 you will be alright we always do" this change of P&O's has been on the cards for a year or two. The other lines tried it last April/May but could not get it to work to abandoned it quickly. I suspect it may be reintroduced next year for all. The Southampton police and council are keen on it working.

I have always thought it unhelpful for people to give advice, as many have done, "Oh just go at 11.30 you will be alright we always do" this change of P&O's has been on the cards for a year or two. The other lines tried it last April/May but could not get it to work to abandoned it quickly. I suspect it may be reintroduced next year for all. The Southampton police and council are keen on it working.

May I ask why the police & council are keen for it to work, and how do you know that.

A couple of times we have gone down at the end of the M271 there has been a sign advising us to turn of early and we go all the way down through the docks, rather than having to go to Dock gate 10 etc it has always been far easier why not more often do that

May I ask why the police & council are keen for it to work, and how do you know that.

A couple of times we have gone down at the end of the M271 there has been a sign advising us to turn of early and we go all the way down through the docks, rather than having to go to Dock gate 10 etc it has always been far easier why not more often do that

Because that is what was being reported over a year ago, nearly 2 years when RCI and Princess tried to bring it in.

The second point is that your route does not help if going to Ocean or the QE terminals. I would agree however that that route will work for City and Mayflower.

Edited by daiB

Dai, most of the other lines are already in the 21st century technology wise and let you pick your boarding time when you book...alas not P&O who are still stuck in the dark ages!

Dai, most of the other lines are already in the 21st century technology wise and let you pick your boarding time when you book...alas not P&O who are still stuck in the dark ages!

Most?

Sorry, but how can you be in complete innocence when the time is on your e-tic ket?