New Panama Canal Lane

Ridget

All S-class will fit for length and width in the new canal, but only Solstice will fit under the bridge at the Pacific end (Solstice was modified for a similar problem in Vancouver):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47358709&postcount=4

Also the new locks have been delayed so many times that Celebrity may want to wait until they really are in operation. According to wikipedia it was admitted in November 2015 that cracks discovered over the previous months threatened to delay project completion until at least January 2016. [iMHO, an interesting question is whether the new Panama Canal or the return of Alfa-Romeo to the US will happen first? :D]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

The Lion's Gate Bridge and the Bridge of Americas are often compared as having similar clearance below... 200' vs 201' respectively, the BoA does have more leeway beyond the 201 figure. Ships are permitted passage under the Bridge with an air draft of 205', depending on the tide. While the Solstice won't have an issue with the collapsible mast, I really don't know if the other S class ships will need that modification to ease under the BoA or not.

The opening of the expansion is "still" scheduled for April 2016 with the repairs on the leaks to be completed in January 2016. There has been quite a bit of discussion as to whether or not the leak repair will impact the already delayed April date. There has been some testing the waters so to speak, about the possibility of a delay. However so far, nothing official.

I think all the cruise lines are in the wait and see mode before they commit any of their post Panamax ships for a Canal transit.

We will certainly await the opening of the expansion that was scheduled for 2010. Lots of doubters out there as there are issues will beyond leaks according to construction company.

Great comment on Lions Gate Bridge. Thank you.

Host Jazzebeau, For your information. Alfa Romeo is back and has been for some time now. The new Guila will be here before you know it.

Ed ( '84 Spider veloce)

I do follow Alfa. Alfa is "back" only with limited edition roadsters. The Giulia has been delayed over and over, just like the Canal!

We got to see the bottem of the New Panama Canal locks about 3 days before they filled them!

Would you have wanted to see the Original Panama Canal Lock on opening day summer 1914? How about 1909 with all the digging? I like the digging myself.

22971222566_7d10075956_b.jpg

CaptDave

Given the performance (or lack thereof) on the widening project, if I were scheduling ships, I would want to see the expanded canal actually open and operating before I would schedule anything to go through there.

I learned a bunch about the Panama Canal in the last 2 years.

The New Panama Canal Lane is a big problem caused by Panama itself.

Panama went out of their way to not do business with a American company, the best for the job. Instead they picked a company known for huge problems. Delays, strikes and cost overruns normal operation for the company they picked.

Now the damn thing leaks! Good job Panama, stay away from the Americans.

22363326634_db11d30dac_b.jpg

CaptDave

Given the performance (or lack thereof) on the widening project, if I were scheduling ships, I would want to see the expanded canal actually open and operating before I would schedule anything to go through there.

Totally agree. Can you imagine what a mess it would be, if any cruise line scheduled numerous sailings, and had to redeploy ? I'd never take that chance.

The new lane will happen, but the question remains. When ? :)

The leaking sill and the reinforcement of the other sills is scheduled for completion in mid January, they now have almost said that the expansion project will not be ready April in so many words. Testing of the Agua Clara Locks on the Atlantic side is to begin in April with a chartered post Panamax ship with an inauguration date to follow. Canal Authorities are calling for an opening date in the second quarter of 2016. Originally testing of the Atlantic Locks would be presently underway had the previous time line held up.

http://gcaptain.com/april-opening-of.../#.Vnp14FIirGt

http://www.marinelink.com/news/expan...ama402565.aspx