An African Christmas on the Cloud

carefreecruise

If going to the Zulu Village excursion: you will drive out about one hour on nicely paved roads to a replica village with actors to show you what life was like in a Zulu village. You will get lots of time to buy Zulu stuff and you can even stay overnight in the village at their hotel. They will also serve you a lunch right after the main show in the big straw hut. Village is nicely done and good for photographs, just like a Disneyland set.

Good grief, Carefree, that tour sounds really crass.

Good grief, Carefree, that tour sounds really crass.

Did you ever try to write a creative slam that makes the place sound OK. That was my attempt...

Richards bay is a nice park setting where the ship is tied up. With sail boats, beaches, people fishing and swimming near the ship. Only shuttle bus goes to a large mall. Other than that you can walk off the ship and buy nick-nacks off table vendors.

Did you ever try to write a creative slam that makes the place sound OK. That was my attempt...Richards bay is a nice park setting where the ship is tied up. With sail boats, beaches, people fishing and swimming near the ship. Only shuttle bus goes to a large mall. Other than that you can walk off the ship and buy nick-nacks off table vendors.

carefree cruise: Richards Bay If going to the Zulu Village excursion: you will drive out about one hour on nicely paved roads to a replica village with actors to show you what life was like in a Zulu village. You will get lots of time to buy Zulu

Appreciate for this added background and excellent "creative writing" to summarize your experiences. Yes' date=' your description confirms my fears and makes me glad we have made our own independent arrangement for a private, custom tour during this two-day stay in the Richards Bay area. What Silversea offers for this port visit seems rather limited and marginal. From the pictures that I pulled up on the web for this Zulu Village, it did seem super "artificial" and just a tourist trap. Interesting as pictures, but not the "real thing" to understand more depth about the people there and their history/culture.

Keep up the great postings and sharing. Look forward any and all details you can write for these varied South Africa ports. How are things on the ship going?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,662 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

If going to the Zulu Village excursion: you will drive out about one hour on nicely paved roads to a replica village with actors to show you what life was like in a Zulu village. You will get lots of time to buy Zulu stuff and you can even stay overnight in the village at their hotel. They will also serve you a lunch right after the main show in the big straw hut. Village is nicely done and good for photographs, just like a Disneyland set.

My understanding of the replica village is that it was built as a set for a movie...if this is Shakaland that you are referring to.

I don't think there is any pretense about it not being a fabrication or that there are "actors" participating in the events for tourists.

'Carefreecruise', do you arrive in Cape Town on the 4th Jan and have an overnight before disembarking on the 5th?

What has SS got planned for your New Years Eve stop in Durban today?

New years eve will be a formal night. They decorated the main dining room and will have a little band playing, giving out raffle prizes. Ship will be leaving just before midnight. I think the plan is to untie and pull out a little in the harbor and hold the ship with thrusters in one position for us to view any fireworks from Durban.

And yes the Cloud arrives in Cape Town on January 4th in the morning for an overnight and will disembark on the 5th.

Edited by carefreecruise

My understanding of the replica village is that it was built as a set for a movie...if this is Shakaland that you are referring to.

I don't think there is any pretense about it not being a fabrication or that there are "actors" participating in the events for tourists.

You can read below the description of the excursion below and nowhere does it talk about a set and actors... And if you were waiting for the topless young woman, those actors never showed up....

Depart from the quayside in Richard's Bay and drive by coach via Empangeni to Shakaland, and Duma Zulu Village.

Upon arrival you are met by a Zulu guide and served a welcome refreshment. Then you are invited to relive the excitement and romance of the days of King Shaka, the King of the Zulus.

Walking through the village, you will see a variety of displays including Zulu women creating beadwork, weaving mats, sculpting pottery, baking bread and brewing Zulu beer. The Zulu men will show you how to make a spear & shield and how to build a Zulu 'beehive' grass hut. Your guide will interpret the daily activities and you will have the opportunity to view a short audio-visual presentation.

Next, you are invited into the Chief's Hut where Zulu dancers will perform rhythmic drum dances and tribal members will recreate a ritual by the Sangoma (traditional healer).

Following this performance, a traditional Zulu buffet lunch will be provided at a restaurant overlooking the Umhlatuze Lake.

Before re-boarding your coach for the return drive to Richard's Bay and your awaiting ship, some leisure time is available to explore the village on your own and to visit the local curio shops.

Please Note: Most of the tour takes place outdoors and involves a moderate amount of walking. This tour is not recommended for guests who have walking limitations. It is Zulu custom for young, unmarried women to go topless. No photographs or videos may be taken of the Sangoma (traditional healer). The village has mostly gravel ground, which can be slightly muddy after heavy rain. Guests are advised to wear flat, comfortable walking shoes, sun hats, sun block & sunglasses.

Edited by carefreecruise

Sadly the description as you posted doesn't say it's shakaland.

But it clearly is.

From past experience I try and research excursions beforehand, there is a lot out there on the internet. Many pax have been to the ports before and are brutally honest about what there is to offer.

As always, caveat emptor.

Hope you have a happy New year.

Sadly the description as you posted doesn't say it's shakaland.

But it clearly is.

I am not sure this is the case. I stayed at Shakaland a few years ago and found it to be a quite good and entertaining reproduction of what an old Zulu village may have been like. And, by the way, there were many lovely young, bare breasted women. Diner was announced by one such person knocking on the door and offering me one of the drinks she carried on a tray. The meal itself had authentic Zulu cuisine. Imagine my disappointment when the knock and orange juice came the next morning. The server was bare breasted, but a guy!

There is another Zulu cultural village that is called Duma Zulu and I think this is where the current passenger on the Cloud visited. If you check the two places out on the Internet, you can see that Shakaland is much more highly rated.

In driving around the area inhabited by the current Zulu people, you will see that they are of many different economic backgrounds. Some live in nice homes. Others lead lives akin to what you see on Indian reservations in the U.S.

I guess everybody by now knows about the air France that has to do an emergency landing in Mombasa. That caused a lot of problems for connecting passengers. Ship waited for all to arrive and got off with a guest count of 160. We have about 14 kids aboard but they seam well behaved. Allen is back as cruise director. Some are here with no luggage but making the best of it. A lot are doing Safaris at the Cape Town end up to lake Victoria and around that area. We just pulled out of our first pot of call "Zanzibar". Very hot and humid and town is so-so but the coast line and beach lines are their biggest asset. Ship is having a very big problem with keeping the cabins cool. AC tech's are every ware trying to keep everybody happy. Right now its too hot and muggy to eat outside. Hope after Madagascar things will cool down and can spend some time out on the balconies.

Hello! and Happy New Year.

It's our first visit to this forum. My wife and me will be on the cruise Mombasa to Cape Town scheduled from January 19th to February 2. We are from Grenoble-France ( please forgive our bad-english...)

We would like to know what kind of outfit we shall bring with us.

Hello! and Happy New Year. It's our first visit to this forum. My wife and me will be on the cruise Mombasa to Cape Town scheduled from January 19th to February 2. We are from Grenoble-France ( please forgive our bad-english...) We would like to know what kind of outfit we shall bring with us.

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards for our France friends who will be on the Silver Cloud just ahead of us. Safe travels to Mombassa!!! Don't be shy in asking any questions about the Silver Cloud. We have traveled previously on this ship during three earlier cruises.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 130,558 views for this posting.

Thank's a lot, Terry, for your welcome message. We are preparing our cruise. We have already booked our cruise excursions and the three days Sabona safari. Now we wonder about what to bring with us, such as clothing or protection against mosquitoes, or any other helpful thing.

Best regards,

Guy

Thank's a lot, Terry, for your welcome message. We are preparing our cruise. We have already booked our cruise excursions and the three days Sabona safari. Now we wonder about what to bring with us, such as clothing or protection against mosquitoes, or any other helpful thing. Best regards, Guy

Appreciate, Guy, your follow-up and good questions/interests to raise. On temperature, things will be much warmer at the early, "top" part of your cruise in and around Mombassa, Zanzibar, Madagascar, etc. Things, might, maybe, get a little cooler in and around South Africa, including Cape Town.

Right now, as an example, for around Feb. 2, per AccuWeather, the current long-range forecast calls for a high there on that date of 74°F/23°C and a low of 63°F/17°C. Historically, on this day, the normal Cape Town high is 80°F/26°C and a low of 60°F/16°C.

Not sure about how much of a bug/mosquito problem that you/we will have, but I would suggest bringing some protection. Plus, much for sun protection! For these parts of the world, that sun can be fairly intense.

Good luck on your Sanbona safari that will be about three hours from Cape Town. Sounds great. We are doing three days of safari activities during our ten-day cruise. Two days (including overnight) at Richards Bay. Plus a full-day for Addo Elephant Park at Port Elizabeth.

Any other questions or needs about the Silver Cloud?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 34,135 views for these postings.

The Spiny Forest is about an hour down a rough gravel road to get to a botanical garden. You will walk down a gravel path and see a selection of plants and trees. There are about a dozen baobab trees that are spread down the path. So no pictures of a panorama of trees. This place has very aggressive sellers and you will be bombarded. The Mangily Village is just a hotel on the beach and they will hand you a bottle of water when you arrive.

You will fly for 30 minutes in a single engine plane to the park. Plane holds six passengers. Plan on getting very close to and on the elephants. Not only riding them but feeding and holding them. By the way; you will be riding them bareback and we had four guest that felt uncomfortable riding on them. One thing to watch out for is; if the ship puts you in the second fly-in group. You will be getting there late, missing some riding time and will have to wait an extra hour for the plane to fly the first group back and turn around to get you. This place has lots of complaints on customer service, so be patience with the staff and remain calm...

Hello! and Happy New Year.

It's our first visit to this forum. My wife and me will be on the cruise Mombasa to Cape Town scheduled from January 19th to February 2. We are from Grenoble-France ( please forgive our bad-english...)

We would like to know what kind of outfit we shall bring with us.

Ship will have a formal night that requires in the main restaurant only you wear a tux or dark suit. Other than that in all other dining venues you just need a long sleeve shirt. Silversea website has lots of information on attire.

On Safari don't worry; We have been on 18 game drives in different parks and found 95% of the guests are wearing street clothes, like you were going shopping at the mall. If you want to dress right, just google what the guides are wearing or talk to someone who camps a lot.

Ship will have a formal night that requires in the main restaurant only you wear a tux or dark suit. Other than that in all other dining venues you just need a long sleeve shirt. Silversea website has lots of information on attire.

This is normal on SS, and the suit needs a tie too! I think you will find you need a jacket in La Terrazza on formal nights.

Looking forward to waking up in the morning and watching the Cloud slip into Cape Town.

We are docked right in front of this big yellow hotel. If we were any closer the bow would be in the dining area of the hotel. If your staying there it will be a very short walk.

We are docked right in front of this big yellow hotel. If we were any closer the bow would be in the dining area of the hotel. If your staying there it will be a very short walk.

This is The Table Bay Hotel where we stayed after our trip on the Cloud. This may not be the best hotel in Cape Town but it probably has the best views of Table Mountain.

We didn't dock by the hotel because on our trip Cape Town was our point of entry into South Africa, so we had to proceed through the immigration control. As Carefree's cruise had previously called at South African ports they were able to berth by the hotel.

Stayed there before our Silver Cloud cruise 5 years ago. It was, hands down, the easiest cruise embarkation we've ever had. We walked out the back door to the pier, and a hotel porter followed with our luggage on a trolley.

And the hotel is quite nice as well.

Welcome back!

We leave in a fortnight for the same cruise. Was it up to what you expected?

Thank you all for the information. It helps to prepare. We also wonder if preventive treatment for malaria is needed ...

Best regards

We had a great view of the Cloud from Table Mt. today. Weather is a bit hot but dry and clear.

We are staying at the Taj Hotel which is located in city center. A nice option to the waterfront properties.

Will post comments during the trip.