An African Christmas on the Cloud

carefreecruise

Terry Ohio

The Cloud berthed with the bow less than 100yds from our room,a great sight at 6.15 am today Your pal Alan is still CD,in fact at 8.00 you could hear him all over the harbour giving his briefing in his normal loud voice, the Captain will be Palmeri (spelling?) who takes over tomorrow, Sujit (spelling?) is HD and Frank is still restaurant manager I'm afraid we get off the day you join, a shame as I'm sure you have many a tale to tell

Welcome back!

We leave in a fortnight for the same cruise. Was it up to what you expected?

Thank you all for the information. It helps to prepare. We also wonder if preventive treatment for malaria is needed ...

Best regards

Malaria is not in the the South Africa area but is in the area north that you will visit. We started taking our malaria a few days before we lift and are still finishing them the day we fly back home.

We had a great view of the Cloud from Table Mt. today. Weather is a bit hot but dry and clear.

We are staying at the Taj Hotel which is located in city center. A nice option to the waterfront properties.

Will post comments during the trip.

And a fantastic view of Table Mountain late this afternoon covered by its table cloth.

This is The Table Bay Hotel where we stayed after our trip on the Cloud.

Appreciate this good info from Fletcher and others. Below is a map I pulled up from Google. Does this look close and correct for the pier where things are likely to be happening with many of the ship connections in Cape Town? Things could change, but in South Africa the ports are not as busy and crowded with cruise ships as happens so often in the Caribbean, parts of the Med, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,764 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From Google Maps, this appears to be a visual for where the Silver Cloud is now docked, plus the closeness to the Table Bay Hotel. Right place?:

Jan2016PixsA3%201_zpsnqzubyxn.jpg

Terry Ohio The Cloud berthed with the bow less than 100yds from our room,a great sight at 6.15 am today Your pal Alan is still CD,in fact at 8.00 you could hear him all over the harbour giving his briefing in his normal loud voice, the Captain will be Palmeri (spelling?) who takes over tomorrow, Sujit (spelling?) is HD and Frank is still restaurant manager I'm afraid we get off the day you join, a shame as I'm sure you have many a tale to tell

Great to get this added details. Yes, Allan has a strong voice. It goes with the job!! Need it to get people attention, etc.!! On Captain Michele Macarone Palmieri, others have said great things about him and that he is very experienced from many past cruises in these challenging South Africa waters and areas.

It must be Hotel Director Sujith Mohan, right? Many have praised his skills and energy. As I understand, he has risen from within the ranks during the past ten years with SS, including the past four years as HD. He is from India with a Masters from a college in France. For Frank, do you mean Franz Zeissler as the restaurant manager?

Sorry that you will not be on the Silver Cloud with us in early February. Not sure how good are my tales, but I am always happy to share them.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 26,133 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Welcome back!

We leave in a fortnight for the same cruise. Was it up to what you expected?

Thank you all for the information. It helps to prepare. We also wonder if preventive treatment for malaria is needed ...

Best regards

See my blog West Africa on the Cloud for my personal thoughts about malaria. In short, we never take any anti-malaria pills if we are on a cruise. If we were staying at a safari lodge or a beach resort then we might consider them but the time of year (wet/dry season) is also important. On a ship - never in my opinion and I've been everywhere.

See my blog West Africa on the Cloud for my personal thoughts about malaria. In short, we never take any anti-malaria pills if we are on a cruise. If we were staying at a safari lodge or a beach resort then we might consider them but the time of year (wet/dry season) is also important. On a ship - never in my opinion and I've been everywhere.

Fletcher, I have read your West Africa "blog" and appreciate all your very personal thoughts, not only the one about malaria. I just hope that I will have a better opinion at the end of our next cruise! Anyway I will consider your reviews, and do everything to avoid aggressive smokers!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a little time to reflect on our month long trip in Africa, thought I would try to articulate our experiences by writing a blog. Its my first attempt at a blog, so after writing it I grading it a C-. So after beating myself up, still thought others could benefit from its content. So if you’re interested check out this link.

http://carefreeafrica.blogspot.com/

I had a little time to reflect on our month long trip in Africa, thought I would try to articulate our experiences by writing a blog. Its my first attempt at a blog, so after writing it I grading it a C-. So after beating myself up, still thought others could benefit from its content. So if you’re interested check out this link.

http://carefreeafrica.blogspot.com/

WOW!! Super WOW times three. This is a totally super collection of very, very well done pictures and a stimulating collection from your Africa experiences. Appreciate your time and effort in sharing these visuals and details. We are just one week from when we depart for Cape Town and to start our adventure there. This really helps ramp up the excitement for the great range of sights for which we are looking forward to enjoying.

One question? What was your technique/secret for having your pictures come out so sharp and vivid? Excellent posting!! Might have more questions later.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 134,032 views for this posting.

Some very nice photos from your safari trip, Carefree. I particularly liked the hyena with the tete de wildebeest. The BBC wildlife unit has recently shown a series called The Hunt and never had anything as hardcore as that. I'm always interested in cameras wonder what you had and which lenses.

I'm always interested in cameras wonder what you had and which lenses.

YES!! Add me to that list/request in seeking much more of your photo details, cameras, lenses, processing/editing details, etc. Look forward to seeing more, plus added pictures. Can't get enough of this "good stuff"!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 192,674 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

WOW!!One question? What was your technique/secret for having your pictures come out so sharp and vivid? Excellent posting!! .

If you’re asking about clarity it takes “Focus”, “Steadiness” and” Lens Selection”.

For focus, you need to clear all the focus points and only have one, preferable a spot pin-point if you can handle it (assuming the camera is sophisticated enough). Also get used to moving the one focus point around depending on what you’re shooting, so its always at eye level. Need to practice on selecting just the center of the eye ball, not the nose or eyebrow, just right in the center of the eye.

Clean shots come from having the camera bolted down and using a release cable to fire the shudder. If you can’t bolt it down, it needs to be laying on something solid or sand bags. If shooting from a vehicle, have the motor turned off, have it laying on a sand or bean bag and ask anyone else in the car to be still and hold their breath.

Lens should be selected so the subject fills the frame because when cropping it destroys the pixels and adds to making the picture blurry. Still after all this time the best lens are ground crystal glass and more prisms the better. So if you’re looking for quality lens, it’s going to be ridiculously heavy. Average lens I brought weighted between 5 and 6 pounds each and that’s not counting the camera body.

I didn’t talk about lighting but will assume everybody know you need to have the sun at your back and should ask the guide to re-position on the other side and wait for the animal to turn into the sun for you. You may have to ask them nicely.

Also don't let the camera make all the decisions, try to get used to shooting in manual mode. I know its hard but that's the only way to getting what you want.

After seeing what others take pictures with I see most people feel comfortable with a pocked camera or using their phone. All the stuff I talked about above takes a lot of work and planning. So the best camera is the one you have with you.

Edited by carefreecruise

All of this information is great....... however, I am still "stuck" on the air conditioning issue. Is this fixable or will the ship continue on this way?

I am afraid your out of luck. Something happen when it was in dry dock and now the AC does not work the same. Good news is it's not bad everywhere. Only some parts of the ship never get cooled down. They will tell you to keep all your curtains and windows close to try an help the situation.

Yep common sense

I remember being in Bath a very long time ago closing the drapes and making sure the room was ready for the 38c forecast

Came back and the curtains were open and the towel rail heat on full...

Mission failed.

It's been 39 plus here for the last few days... First thing I do is close the shutters at 6am. Aircon goes on around 10 when we reach 30...

Re open again when the sun is gone and the wind blows from the east..

If you’re asking about clarity it takes “Focus”, “Steadiness” and” Lens Selection”.

beaujolais: On board S Cloud and have been since last in CPT the AC is working fine on all parts of ship. Yes' date='they ask you to close curtains and keep doors closed when sun is on that side of ship but that is just common sense [/quote']

Appreciate these excellent tips and insights from our wonderful photo poster from Arizona. Yes, the solid basics are always significant and important. BUT, there are always "trade-offs" to consider. Personal photography philosophy and practices?? Pro/con factors?? Manual settings and using a tripod or other techniques can be better, but do take more time and effort. Will be working hard and inspired by your good works as we arrive in South Africa in just one week. Super agree that good lenses are vital and provide a major plus versus what can be done with some cell phone and small "palm" cameras.

From beaujolais, glad to get this highly-current update for how the air conditioning seems to be working well right now on the Silver Cloud. It is just 12 days till we will board the Silver Cloud in Cape Town and when we can test how things will be working for us in this and other areas.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 192,674 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On board S Cloud and have been since last in CPT the AC is working fine on all parts of ship. Yes,they ask you to close curtains and keep doors closed when sun is on that side of ship but that is just common sense

Also on board. We had today 38°C in Mayotte, and the AC is working fine. It is our first cruise on Silver Cloud, and we are quite happy with it.

Also on board. We had today 38°C in Mayotte, and the AC is working fine. It is our first cruise on Silver Cloud, and we are quite happy with it.

Appreciate these added details and good news from both of you doing this Africa adventure. Look forward to reading any and all added details for your experiences about what you saw and did in and around Mozambique and the South Africa port stops.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,216 views for these postings.