Why the SHORT PORT stay in Cabo San Lucas??

inquiring2015

Does anyone know why the Crown Princess remained in Cabo San Lucas during Novembers' 2015 Mexican Riviera cruise ONLY 5 hours while remaining in the much-less-interesting Matzatlan ALL DAY? Neither crew nor passengers knew why and many passengers were bewildered and upset at the short 5-hour stint in fascinating Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks to all.

Does anyone know why the Crown Princess remained in Cabo San Lucas during Novembers' 2015 Mexican Riviera cruise ONLY 5 hours while remaining in the much-less-interesting Matzatlan ALL DAY? Neither crew nor passengers knew why and many passengers were bewildered and upset at the short 5-hour stint in fascinating Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks to all.

Was this a surprise? The itinerary didn't spell this out beforehand? Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would much rather spend a long day in historic Mazatlan than the beer-and-souvenirs theme park of Cabo. (I guess people who like to drink prefer Cabo. I've heard that.)

Best part of Cabo for us is the view from the ship. The desert landscape is quite beautiful but once you have been to Cabo that's it. Not a drinker. Would rather spend an overnight in PV or have another port to stop at. Even Mazatlan is more interesting.

Not much to do in Cabo. It's a tender port, and it's true about the drinking port. We head to Captain Tony's and have margaritas and Bloody Mary's. Mostly people in your face selling you something which is aggravating. No point in buying an excursion for whale watching when you can see them right from the ship. There's been times when we didn't get off the ship in Cabo. Maybe Princess keeps track of how many people get off the ship and found not that many exit. I dunno.

Surely it's all to do with the time it takes to sail between San Pedro and Cabo? Since ships tend to sail by night and stop by day, and it's more than an overnight but less than an overnight and a full sea day, Cabo stops are often only 5 hours.

Did your cruise itinerary originally show this short stop, or was it an unexpected change?

Edited by jollyjones

Easy to understand why the relatively short port time: sailing north, the ship sails against the California Current which is a fast-moving current from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. Even if the ship is sailing at close to full speed, the net forward speed is slower. Seas are often rough and it's hard to predict how much time will be needed schedule-wise. Cruise lines err on the side of caution. It's better to have a shorter port stay than possibly arrive late for disembarkation. Which do you think is better? An hour or two less port time or miss your flight home?

Port times are dictated by how far it is to the next port. It's not like jumping into an airplane and you are there quickly or even your car travelling at 60+ mph. The ship only travels at 15-20 mph so it takes a significant amount of time to get to the next port.

Thanks to all.

Mazatlan is a fabulous port. Nice people, lots of history, lots to do. Open your heart to it and relax and enjoy.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The desert landscape is quite beautiful but once you have been to Cabo that's it.12ce6.jpg

The first time i went to Cabo I discovered the same problem. Then I looked at the water, and decided that the water is what is special about the port . So now, I always book a boating excursion or at least take a water taxi around, and I like Cabo more as a result .

Recently took our first cruise to the pacific ocean side of Mexico….i was most anticipating Cabo and not to excited about the other ports (well PV a little)..

like others here have said give me Mazatlan over Cabo ANY time…one of our favorite all time ports, we look forward to spending more time there….

Husband and I spend our time in Cabo getting a couple's massage (good, clean, reasonably priced), having lunch and a couple great margaritas, and then taking a water taxi over to the Arches. Keeping our expectations low, we are never disappointed. I suspect Cabo is more interesting in the evenings but one would have to stay overnight to experience that.

Husband and I spend our time in Cabo getting a couple's massage (good, clean, reasonably priced), having lunch and a couple great margaritas, and then taking a water taxi over to the Arches. Keeping our expectations low, we are never disappointed. I suspect Cabo is more interesting in the evenings but one would have to stay overnight to experience that.

all great ideas for our next stop in Cabo…wish we had thought to take the water taxi over to the Arches….do you recall what you paid for the ride over and back?

all great ideas for our next stop in Cabo…wish we had thought to take the water taxi over to the Arches….do you recall what you paid for the ride over and back?

I feel like I remember $10 or $15, but that includes hopping on and off at the various attractions. You tell them how long you want to be there (for example Lover's Beach) and they come back and pick you up. So the price is round trip around Cabo.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...