Gem docking in NYC

markf

We just go off he Gem today from our 12/13-23, 10 night Caribbean Cruise. The Gem docked at approximately 8 am. The Captain came on the PA system early this morning stating that docking may be a little delayed due to fog.

We just go off he Gem today from our 12/13-23, 10 night Caribbean Cruise. The Gem docked at approximately 8 am. The Captain came on the PA system early this morning stating that docking may be a little delayed due to fog.

How was your cruise? Did you have a good time?? How was the weather??

• 2 weeks later...

.........was the worst organized mess I have seen, ever! Luckily it was warm, the lines for customs had 1000 people, at least, lugging all their bags. The boat came in slowly because of fog but, come on.

I waited exactly where I was to be on the ship, my colour was called for my bags.......I had a cruise shuttle to LaGuardia.

Stood in line for another hour to get to the gangway. down there and then hit the wall of people, angry angry people, standing in line. Only luck and a wad of $5 bills in my hand stopped a porter........he whisked us through.

But then the next surprise:

The charter bus the Cruise Line had hired to take a large number of folks departing Laguardia had apparently left before I (and another couple) got outside. Much screaming and cursing into cell phones.......we waited another hour on the pavement while they summoned another smaller shuttle to take us privately to the airport. Other passengers waited a similar amount of time to get to Newark.

I observed from the gangplank folks sitting on the out deck having what looked like breakfast, far away from the 'madding crowds' If I ever go on NCL again, I think I will just disappear on the ship, sitting here and there, -I'm sure being shooed on once in awhile, but not facing the mob.

An aside: I think any woman who has done a birthday party for small children could teach NCL and the NY Port Authority how to organize disembarking a very great deal better.

Mostly a good cruise, and easy to criticize, I know.

Barbara

.........was the worst organized mess I have seen, ever! Luckily it was warm, the lines for customs had 1000 people, at least, lugging all their bags. The boat came in slowly because of fog but, come on.

I waited exactly where I was to be on the ship, my colour was called for my bags.......I had a cruise shuttle to LaGuardia.

Stood in line for another hour to get to the gangway. down there and then hit the wall of people, angry angry people, standing in line. Only luck and a wad of $5 bills in my hand stopped a porter........he whisked us through.

But then the next surprise:

The charter bus the Cruise Line had hired to take a large number of folks departing Laguardia had apparently left before I (and another couple) got outside. Much screaming and cursing into cell phones.......we waited another hour on the pavement while they summoned another smaller shuttle to take us privately to the airport. Other passengers waited a similar amount of time to get to Newark.

I observed from the gangplank folks sitting on the out deck having what looked like breakfast, far away from the 'madding crowds' If I ever go on NCL again, I think I will just disappear on the ship, sitting here and there, -I'm sure being shooed on once in awhile, but not facing the mob.

An aside: I think any woman who has done a birthday party for small children could teach NCL and the NY Port Authority how to organize disembarking a very great deal better.

Mostly a good cruise, and easy to criticize, I know.

Barbara

This happens now and again in NYC - guessing the holiday caused the customs crew to be short. It is frustrating. After the time it happened to us, we've decided just to remain on the ship as long as possible, even though it was just once.

This happens now and again in NYC - guessing the holiday caused the customs crew to be short. It is frustrating. After the time it happened to us, we've decided just to remain on the ship as long as possible, even though it was just once.

Can someone get an early color ticket to get off the boat first and then just stay on and leave when they want just saying "oops i missed my color?"

Can someone get an early color ticket to get off the boat first and then just stay on and leave when they want just saying "oops i missed my color?"

What would be the alternative? "Sorry, you missed your debarkation time, so you will have to stay on the ship for the next cruise"?

Because if so, I would try that. ;-)

What would be the alternative? "Sorry, you missed your debarkation time, so you will have to stay on the ship for the next cruise"?

Because if so, I would try that. ;-)

Would be nice if it worked..... :D

Yes you can do that.

Rock on.

We picked the last color last year because we figured we didn't want to rush off the ship, but then something went on and it took actual hours and hours to finally get to grey or whatever we were.

On tuesday, we docked around 8am, and did the self disembark. With customs, walking to taxi stand, waiting about 10 minutes for a taxi, ride to Grand Central, we still were on an 8:55am train.

awesome!! what do you mean by self disembark? that sounds like a great option.

It means you don't put your luggage outside of your cabin on the last night. You walk off with it instead. That's what we always do. We usually have an early flight, so we always self disembark.

You walk off the ship with all of your luggage. We did that once in NY with NCL -- never again. It was a disorganized mess. Far too many people trying to do this at the same time. NCL had lines of people snaked all over the inside and outside of the disembarkation deck. After standing on line forever, we then got to schlep all of our luggage on a grand walking tour of the entire deck, inside and out.

It was a horrible way to end a great vacation. Lesson learned.

On the Gem Jan 2 cruise that arrived back on jan 12--the Gem docked at 7 Am.

We had priority disemabarkation with luggage handled by the cruise line and we were able to leave at 9 am --Not sure why it took 2 hours to allow us to get off.

As much as NCL tries to make it easy it is still stressful especially in NYC.

Yes, like others have said, you must be able to take all your luggage with you when you get off the ship. We only have 1 bag each, and they are on wheels so it was easy enough to pull it along. There can be a bit of a line to get off as this is becoming more popular, but I think it is worth it. I hate sitting around waiting to be called to get off, then having to hunt for the bags. The self diembarks are always the first group.