Hate to say it, but giving up FTTF...

stressedmomof3

i think the priority debark, and GS line are worth it in itself!

we have loved this feature on every cruise!

I've read this before, and I just don't understand the GS thing. I've been platinum for some time now, so I have priority, but I hardly ever have to go to GS. Sure there were a few random things like when our credit card number was stolen mid cruise and we had to change our account, but it's not an every cruise occurrence. I understand priority debarkation, but i can't see priority at GS to be something that would push me to buy it if I didn't already have it.

Will someone explain to me the new check in times that they assign you.

I was under the impression that was so everybody did not show up at the

port at the same time and cause a bottleneck. It does not say you get on the ship any earlier them any one else. True you might get on earlier then

someone that checks in three hours after you, but in a port like Baltimore

you might wait three hours in the terminal because the Pride is known for

taken a long time to get up the bay. One thing is for sure they will board

the weddings, platinum, diamond and FTTF before any other cruisers. That

still makes FTTF well worth the price. HAPPY SAILING!!!

FTTF was worth it for us on this last cruise. After being on hold on the phone for 20 minutes and then the line dropped, it was nice to walk right up to GS and be helped instead of waiting in the long "argument" line. Our toliet in our room stopped working and 20 minutes had already gone by. I will spare you the details but you can guess why it wasn't good to wait longer...

FTTF was worth it for us on this last cruise. After being on hold on the phone for 20 minutes and then the line dropped, it was nice to walk right up to GS and be helped instead of waiting in the long "argument" line. Our toliet in our room stopped working and 20 minutes had already gone by. I will spare you the details but you can guess why it wasn't good to wait longer...

That's one of my favorite Platinum perks is the separate line at CS. I was on the Legend out of Tampa a few years back. I just got on the ship. I went to use the bathroom in my cabin and the lights didn't work. No big deal. I opened the door for light when I went to wash my hands I looked down and I kid you not the water was black like ink. I kept it running it was still black like ink. I went to call down to the purser, the phone didn't work. I was like my god what a way to start a cruise. I went down to the platinum line told the purser about the water she suggested I let it run. I told her had and its still black. Than I told her about my lights not working. She said I would get a call in a short time. I told her well that's another problem because my phone doesn't work. She laughed and said she was going to send a plumber and a electrician up to my room right away. I had told her in over 20 cruises I've never had a problem like this before with a cabin. We both smiled. By the time I walked back to my cabin two tech's were already there working on it. They took the sink apart, and put in new light bulbs. Then he left came right back with a new phone. Within an hour it was all 100%. It turned into one of the best cruises I've ever been on.

That's one of my favorite Platinum perks is the separate line at CS. I was on the Legend out of Tampa a few years back. I just got on the ship. I went to use the bathroom in my cabin and the lights didn't work. No big deal. I opened the door for light when I went to wash my hands I looked down and I kid you not the water was black like ink. I kept it running it was still black like ink. I went to call down to the purser, the phone didn't work. I was like my god what a way to start a cruise. I went down to the platinum line told the purser about the water she suggested I let it run. I told her had and its still black. Than I told her about my lights not working. She said I would get a call in a short time. I told her well that's another problem because my phone doesn't work. She laughed and said she was going to send a plumber and a electrician up to my room right away. I had told her in over 20 cruises I've never had a problem like this before with a cabin. We both smiled. By the time I walked back to my cabin two tech's were already there working on it. They took the sink apart, and put in new light bulbs. Then he left came right back with a new phone. Within an hour it was all 100%. It turned into one of the best cruises I've ever been on.

I'm glad Carnival could take care of your problem so quickly.

As a platinum guest, I've never cared about any of this except to get in line ahead of the others and self debarkation. For self debarkation, it doesn't matter what your status is. I've always thought FTTF was a big money grab for Carnival.

A week ago, they had all the self debark in the Renoir dining room on the Conquest (The Diamond were is a small room in the hallway to the Renoir). When debark started they sent the Diamond first, then the Platinum, and then the FTTF, and then everyone else. So it does matter what your status was at debark.

I don't know what the people in GS are doing either. We have only had to use it for the toilet not working (2x the last cruise) and putting cash on our SnS card when the ATM machine was down. Simple quick and easy transactions...so I don't know what takes so much time either $

To me, the two main reasons that I am excited to have FTTF on my upcoming breeze cruise are my room being ready (my least favorite thing about my last cruise was lugging my carry ones around till rooms were ready) especially traveling with a 4 year old! and priority tender at Grand Cayman because it's my favorite port and I want every minute I can get! In the grand scheme of a $2000+ cruise $59 for a little easier time is worth it to me.

To me, the two main reasons that I am excited to have FTTF on my upcoming breeze cruise are my room being ready (my least favorite thing about my last cruise was lugging my carry ones around till rooms were ready) especially traveling with a 4 year old! and priority tender at Grand Cayman because it's my favorite port and I want every minute I can get! In the grand scheme of a $2000+ cruise $59 for a little easier time is worth it to me.

So agree , the room being ready with priority luggage ! well worth the money .

I am really at a lose about "standing in long lines at Guest services. In 18 cruises , I have probably had to go to the GS desk maybe 3 times. What are people doing that they are spending so much time going to GS? It is beyond me!

Same. The one or two times we've needed to go, we just go at off peak times and there is no wait.

We discovered cruising late so hopefully we'll hit Platinum in 2017. I've gotten FTTF a few times and it has worked out well for us. We used it on the Breeze last year. I really wanted to take the Behind the Scenes tour. We got on after Plat and Diamond members, went straight to the excursion desk and they were already halfway through selling out the second of two tours. That alone made it worth it for us.

Our cruise in September will be our first with fttf and I didn't even know about the gs thing. Do you wait on the platinum/diamond line instead of the regular one?

We have a suite so I wasn't worried about getting on the ship early however we will be traveling with a one and a half year old so getting off the ship will be great. Also we are booked for half moon cay so the priority tendering was a huge draw. We will also be traveling with my extended family so they got fttf as well so that way we all board at or around the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really get the tendering thing. If I were not a Plat, I would consider it for that alone.

The Priority luggage has been hit and miss with me. It seems like with the ever-increasing number of FTTF and Plats, it is harder for them to actually get the bags to the room on time.

As for going to the room, why not just give your carry-on bags to the porters? Would be a lot cheaper, and (supposedly) you will get them really early.

I really get the tendering thing. If I were not a Plat, I would consider it for that alone.

The Priority luggage has been hit and miss with me. It seems like with the ever-increasing number of FTTF and Plats, it is harder for them to actually get the bags to the room on time.

As for going to the room, why not just give your carry-on bags to the porters? Would be a lot cheaper, and (supposedly) you will get them really early.

I keep my cameras and other valuables/breakables in my carry on because I've seen how the bags are thrown around and each person is only reimbursed $50 if there is damage, no where near enough to replace my cameras, not to mention being without for the vacation which would break my heart! I love my pics :) I also have a fear of them losing bags all together so I always pack a change of clothes and tooth brush for each person just in case. You may think it's silly since all they have to do is load it right there but my MIL was on a cruise where an entire load of luggage went into the water and was lost! [emoji15]

Yes, you are. You still have to pick a time, but you can show up whenever.

From Carnival FAQ's:

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I am PLATINUM and leaving in February onboard the Paradise and Valor in July. My question is will I be asked to pick a time to board even though its only a 5 nighter in Feb or does it even matter the number of nights?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cruizinrican

I keep my cameras and other valuables/breakables in my carry on because I've seen how the bags are thrown around and each person is only reimbursed $50 if there is damage, no where near enough to replace my cameras, not to mention being without for the vacation which would break my heart! I love my pics :) I also have a fear of them losing bags all together so I always pack a change of clothes and tooth brush for each person just in case. You may think it's silly since all they have to do is load it right there but my MIL was on a cruise where an entire load of luggage went into the water and was lost! [emoji15]

I agree with you. I would never give my carry on to a porter. Carnival even says to not check meds and some other things. Plus, you are supposed to bring your wine on and not check it.

As to the poster that said they could not understand why anyone needed to go to GS, except in rare cases: My husband goes every morning. Does he HAVE to? No. It is just part of his morning routine. He works out, I sleep in. After his workout he goes to GS to get a print out of our bill. They used to have it clearer on the TV. Now, it is broken down into 2 bills. (at least it was like that on our last cruise) One for each. He doesn't like that. Plus, we have had errors in charges, more than once, and they are easier to catch when fresh in your mind. Have never heard him complain about the lines, one way or the other. It is what it is.

And, as I have posted before, I still don't "get" the debark statements. Such as: Plat. gets to wait in such and such lounge, and are 1st. We get up, shower, dress and GO! Have never had anyone question what zone, or try to stop us. Usually among the 1st to leave. We don't wait anywhere, just leave.:)

I "gave up" my FTTF too. Sort of. At first I wasn't going to buy it for either of our cabins for our next cruise, but I gave in and paid for it for one cabin ONLY because we have cabanas to get squared away and extra key-only cards to get for the kids' cabins. But I'm not buying it for the second cabin. I had gotten it for the one cabin well before this new check-in pilot started, but since it has I'm definitely not paying $120 total for what I consider an unnecessary expense. And this coming from a person that has used it 3 times before.

$50 per cabin was enough. The increase made the realize I fell into the hype of having it. The most I will ever do is one cabin. I know people subscribe to the "worth every penny" philosophy but not me. We're in no rush to get on or off as we never book early flights and arrive to port the night before. Yes we do always wind up at guest services once or twice (that's what it's there for) but there's also the kiosks and you can go at less crowded times and avoid the lines. Luggage will go in the cabin with FTTF. And if we didn't have it, I would find a seat in a public space and sit down somewhere like I used to do. Nobody needs to drag luggage around the ship.

I love the new online check-in process. And in my own opinion, fttf folks is a good portion of why they needed to do something about embarkation in the first place. A few times a week I check to see if it's been rolled out to Port Canaveral. And I check JHs blog. Congrats on saving money OP.

I see no reason for my family to purchase FTTF. We're platinum, usually on the ship before the rest of our family. When they embark, we meet them at the elevators and let them drop their carry-ons in our room. No problems.

Only reason I see for FTTF purchase is a tender port.

For the person who never had FTTF, not plat, and able to self debark before everyone else, this just means the directions were not followed and failed to wait until the floor was called, which usually causes a back up debarking.

And, as I have posted before, I still don't "get" the debark statements. Such as: Plat. gets to wait in such and such lounge, and are 1st. We get up, shower, dress and GO! Have never had anyone question what zone, or try to stop us. Usually among the 1st to leave. We don't wait anywhere, just leave.:)

Huh ?

That's the main reason I've bought FTTF so I can get off the ship ASAP & get on the road for our 12+ hr drive. We don't even take the hotel shuttle bus b/c I don't want to wait around for it to fill up and we just grab a cab back to the hotel.

By the way, I've bought FTTF for the past 3 cruises and our luggage has NEVER shown up either prior to us arriving in our room or even within 1-2 hrs of us arriving.

No matter, this will be my last time with FTTF.

Huh ?

That's the main reason I've bought FTTF so I can get off the ship ASAP & get on the road for our 12+ hr drive. We don't even take the hotel shuttle bus b/c I don't want to wait around for it to fill up and we just grab a cab back to the hotel.

By the way, I've bought FTTF for the past 3 cruises and our luggage has NEVER shown up either prior to us arriving in our room or even within 1-2 hrs of us arriving.

No matter, this will be my last time with FTTF.

Guess I did not make sense, since you said, Huh? Your statement: that that's the main reason you bought FTTF was to get off ASAP. And the Plat. statements, are what I don't "get". What I am trying to explain is that whether I have FTTF or not, I simply leave the ship. No waiting, in any lounge or DR, or zones or whatever. Just get in the elevator and LEAVE the ship. FTTF, or any sort of "status" is not needed. We haul our own luggage.

Also, I agree with you that FTTF has not seemed to get us our luggage any earlier when getting on. We do check it, when boarding. To debark, we use bungee cords, I hate the long lines to wait to pick it up. Only did that once. Nightmare, as they had "misplaced" a piece and it took forever to locate. But, love getting on early, having the room ready, and starting our vacation asap. Is it just another way for Carnival to make more money? Of course. I personally don't care. We all have the option to pick and choose what we are going to be fleeced for.;)