Stingrays, Rum Punch & Sea Turtles {Carnival Freedom}

HollandAvery

December 1, 2015

I woke up at about 5:45am so excited for the day ahead- today was the day we were arriving in Jamaica! It was my first time ever to visit the island so I was extra excited. We were supposed to be arriving in Montego Bay around 9:00am so I had quite a bit of time to get ready and enjoy breakfast before I had to worry about getting off the ship for our excursion.

23673443780_4c8a39d4d5_z.jpg

Speaking of excursions...

Our excursion tickets had arrived the first evening we boarded. I had gone to guest services to confirm when they weren't in our room upon arrival and they stated they would make sure they would be in our room that evening, and they were. We had booked all three of our excursions for each port through Carnival this time just to see what the experience would be like, and I was actually pretty excited.

For Montego Bay we planned the All-Inclusive Adults Only beach day at Secrets Wild Orchid. I was really excited to just kick back and relax on the beach for the day and maybe do a little snorkeling. I had heard great things about Secrets from friends who had done a week-long stay there recently and was excited for our day visit.

Edited by HollandAvery

I took my time getting ready that morning and then we strolled down the hall and through the glass doors to the busy vibe of the Lido to grab breakfast.

I think some people worry about staying on the Lido deck, because they think it'll be noisy. Let me assure you that that isn't the case at all. When walking from the hallways and out to the doors and elevator areas there is no noise at all from the Lido areas or the lobby area below. It's very quiet...definitely have no fears about booking deck 9.

We decided to grab Blue Iguana this morning as we had completely missed out on it last clue. We didn't even know it had existed on the Triumph! I definitely wasn't going to lose the opportunity to try a breakfast burrito this cruise! There was hardly anyone in line at 7am so we quickly got what we wanted and headed to the salsa bar to grab some slices of watermelon before we were back to our room to enjoy our breakfast by our big windows.

I was really excited mid-meal because we started seeing some land in the distance. My heart started beating fast again and I started snapping a hundred photos of the barely visible hazy blobs in the distance. I ended up having to delete all the photos because the just looked like smudges on the windows, hehe.

I could get used to this view at breakfast every day!

23340895054_301db84c9b_z.jpg

My first Blue Iguana meal! I'm still so upset I missed on when we were on the Triumph!

23340896524_c7d4012025_z.jpg

Lovin' this review. I loved the Freedom, too...a great ship.

I also love all the pasta dishes on board! I just love everything, lol!

Looking forward to reading more of your review. And I think that I'm going to have to book that room one of these times. The views are amazing!

I did a little beach bag preparation...checking the cameras, putting on the sunscreen, making sure I had some cash, etc. and before I knew it that hazy land in the distance wasn't so hazy anymore and we were starting to dock! I snapped a photo as we pulled into port.

Hello, Jamaica!

23673444990_21a009f518_c.jpg

We waited for Jase (our CD) to tell us we could head down to deck 0 and then made our way downstairs. As soon as we were about to head out, the power flickered a few times. Everyone started to panic and then the power on deck 0 came on completely again. Apparently there was an issue with one of the diesel generators that caused some electrical issues for 30 minutes to and hour and our friends who stayed on the ship said the water and power were out for about an hour during the time they were fixing it. There was thick black smoke coming from the side of the ship as we were getting off, but I was too busy trying to find our excursion sign to take too much notice...I was in Jamaica mon, no worries here!

We walked past some local musicians as we searched for our excursion sign...

23942754906_f019e5efea_z.jpg

We finally found our excursion inside the building, where we were put into the correct line and told to have our tickets out. It was actually pretty well organized. I'd realize later on much better organized than the other ports. Within about 10 minutes we'd be whisked off into a van towards out destination: Secrets Wild Orchid

Lovin' this review. I loved the Freedom, too...a great ship.

I also love all the pasta dishes on board! I just love everything, lol!

Looking forward to reading more of your review. And I think that I'm going to have to book that room one of these times. The views are amazing!

It's going to be hard for me to accept any other room now, haha. I don't think even a balcony will ever compare! It certainly was a treat to have those views every day. I felt quite disappointed when we got home and I'd look out my bedroom window in the morning and see dead grass and a tree with no leaves :p

It's going to be hard for me to accept any other room now, haha. I don't think even a balcony will ever compare! It certainly was a treat to have those views every day. I felt quite disappointed when we got home and I'd look out my bedroom window in the morning and see dead grass and a tree with no leaves :p

LOL, yeah, I'd say that would definitely suck. Ocean views are much better!

Let me just say that I would like...no, LOVE, to stay at Secrets Wild Orchid for a week after our day here. The place is beautiful. Although our day started out a bit overcast, that didn't make this place any less gorgeous. I snapped a few photos of the resort from the slightly chilly at first water when we decided to snorkel after grabbing prime spot beach chairs and towels (which were provided by the way, if you were planning on booking this excursion).

23865060092_c50096f6bd_z.jpg

23947207816_1c051db80f_z.jpg

23947205866_ef023527de_z.jpg

We snorkeled for awhile and Giovanni tried to get some neat shots with the GoPro (he said he found a sea urchin-which he called a black pokey thing that looked like death) and then we got out to grab some drinks. The service on the beach was great. There was always a waitress coming around about every 15 minutes or so to pick up old glasses and take orders. We ordered Bob Marleys, Mojitos, and I even asked for them to make me something unique and she came back with a specialty made drink that was awesome.

23860586342_cd98db5b7d_z.jpg

23947212226_d4beb056ac_z.jpg

23865065182_81587f3b30_z.jpg

Edited by HollandAvery

I stayed at Secrets just a few weeks after it first opened, we had an amazing suite with a balcony on the top floor. For anyone visiting for the day, try to find the jerk chicken cart that rolls through the property. Being Jamaica, they can personalize the degree of "hotness" from mild through diablo.

Thanks for bringing Secrets up and posting the pics from this property.

Edited by evandbob

So one thing at Secrets I KNEW I had to do was catch the Jerk Chicken cart man when he came by around noon or so. This was an actual bucket list item I just had to check off while in Jamaica. I had already downed about 4 or 5 drinks at that point so my ability to keep track of time wasn't too great. Thankfully the Jerk Chicken cart pulled up a few feet away from where we were sitting and the spices wafted through the air and pulled me over to grab some of the deliciousness. I waited in the long long LONG line for that spicy goodness and it was certainly worth the 15 minute wait in the sun. I opted for the chicken WITH the sauce and I'm glad I got it. SO good. My mouth is watering just thinking about it...looks like I need to make another trip to Jamaica STAT! (For those that are curious, the jerk chicken IS included in the cost of this excursion. There are also coconuts that come around on a cart was well that are included as well. We never ventured out to find the cart though)

23340615334_51755603eb_z.jpg

I'm so happy! I've checked off another one of my bucket list items: Eat Jamaican Jerk Chicken in Jamaica!

23886594511_2c0f69fd85_z.jpg

I stayed at Secrets just a few weeks after it first opened, we had an amazing suite with a balcony on the top floor. For anyone visiting for the day, try to find the jerk chicken cart that rolls through the property. Being Jamaica, they can personalize the degree of "hotness" from mild through diablo.

Thanks for bringing Secrets up and posting the pics from this property.

Hehe, just posted about the chicken. It was amazing! I'm craving it again!

Did you have just a normal suite or did you choose the club suite? I'm curious because we are considering booking for a week-long trip but weren't sure if doing a club level suite was really worth it as the regular side of the beach seemed just fine. Weren't sure what the perks would be besides the beach area :)

I was stuffed with spicy jerk chicken and quite a few drinks so I was in need of a nice relaxing rest at that point. I decided to lay down and close my eyes for just a bit...

It was about 1pm at that point and I knew I only had about an hour and a half to snooze before I needed to get myself together so we could gather our things and head to the front of the resort to get on the bus to take us back to the ship (:()

I laid down and closed my eyes and listened to the calm ocean waves and sea breeze. Secrets was so quiet and relaxing...

23673445720_9ee8321d53_z.jpg

23969134155_bfd1e9f07a_z.jpg

23601255099_2f958501d4_z.jpg

23601258449_51fd41a862_z.jpg

"Megan, hey, hey, wake up! We have to go, it's time to head back to the ship!" Giovanni startled my peace and quiet as he shook me and told me it was time to leave paradise and rush through the resort to meet the van. I gathered our things and said goodbye to Secrets promising that I would come back again one day soon.

I quickly snapped this last photo of one of the pools looking towards the ocean as we headed towards the lobby. Goodbye Secrets, we will meet again soon!

23673442580_142355a6ae_z.jpg

We had about 5 minutes to spare as we hopped into the van with the others in our excursion group. I was so sad to be leaving. Jamaica really treated us right and I didn't want to go. Within a few minutes we were waving goodbye and headed back towards the Freedom. Thankfully the drive was quick, no more than 6 minutes or so. We were dropped off in a small area where a few tents were set up selling some goods. I purchased a shirt and a few bracelets for a few of my students back home before we headed through the terminal and out to the ship to board. It was almost 4pm at this point (ship time).

23673442610_88a5b334b4_z.jpg

Hello Freedom!

23969136605_fca0c70b74_z.jpg

By the time we finished showering and getting ready for dinner it was dark out. I snapped this photo of Montego Bay port at night. I was beginning to feel a hint of sadness as I knew we were leaving this beautiful place soon. I felt the rumble of the engine start underneath us and saw the bow begin to turn.

23886597561_356441d49f_z.jpg

That evening we headed out on the Lido to watch the Dive-In Movie which happened to be Insurgent that evening. We knew we would only catch about 45 minutes of it before we had to head to dinner but I needed something to take my mind off the fact that we had just left Jamaica. I know, I shouldn't get so sad on a cruise, but I'm a bit silly like that.

We headed up and it was crazy full! We finally found somewhere to sit and enjoyed the nice breeze as we watched the movie. There was even some lightening in the distance that was pretty neat to watch. Although that did make me a bit paranoid about the weather we'd be catching in our next port- Grand Cayman.

23673443030_b8c8bde960_z.jpg

For dinner that evening I decided on my favorite, BBQ Spare Ribs. It came with baked beans and Cornbread. I also ordered a side of the infamous Carnival bacon Mac & Cheese. This would be my first time ever ordering the Mac & Cheese and I instantly fell in love with it. So good!

23673446290_3e1306fec9_z.jpg

For dessert I ordered the S'mores Parfait because our waiter Peter recommended it highly. He was right- it was delicious!

23969133245_4377c57dde_z.jpg

-------

Okay everyone, I'm sorry to say but it looks like I'll have to take another break. I've been summoned to take down the Christmas decor today before we leave for Disney. Once I finish that up I'll try to get on to write about our day in Grand Cayman and our fun time with the Stingrays that almost didn't happen thanks to the crazy downpour!

I'm loving your review! I think you and your boyfriend are such a cute couple! And you are one of those ladies that can pull off either blonde or brunette..your hair was super cute! Can't wait to read more of your adventures..especially the stingray excursion ..I do that one every single time I'm in Grand Cayman! :D

We will be cruising for the first time ever in May on the Freedom so I am excited to see all of your beautiful food, excursion and ship pics! Interesting to read how FTTF has worked so far and wondering if it was worth it as you continued through your trip. Y'all are a super cute couple! Subscribing now...!

Great review so far!

Your pics of your room almost make me sad that I gave that room up on our Halloween cruise aboard Glory! We switched from sailing on Glory to sailing on Magic. Darn. Now I need to book another cruise and snag that room!

Loving your review! We are sailing on the Freedom in a few weeks. Secrets looks beautiful! I see so many negative reviews of Mo Bay, and I just scratch my head. It remains our favorite port. We went to the Hilton Rose Hall resort, and it was breathtaking, and everyone we encountered in Jamaica was gracious and friendly. We look forward to returning at some point. Oh, and by the way, the brown hair is gorgeous on you! (I'm a natural brunette, and I'm all about the brown! LOL)

I am really enjoying your review and love your pictures. I've heard great things about Secrets Wild Orchid and I'd love to go there! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a little sad after leaving a beautiful port. Thank you for taking the time to share your cruise by doing a review.