Equinox eisembarkation and early flight from FFL

hallasm

I have posted this problem on both 'Celebrity Cruises' and 'Florida Departures' forums.

I've got a problem! I need to be back in Denmark on Saturday morning after I arrive at Port Everglades on Celebrity Equinox, Friday, March 4, 2016!

Usually, I never book flight until after noon, but in this case I have to take a risk. Hoping for the best and planning for a positive result.

Equinox docks in Port Everglades at 7 am - and I have a United flight out of FLL at 10am bound for Newark (EWR) - from here I will continue to Copenhagen.

I have priority status (Star Alliance Gold) and thus the first-class check-in and fast track in FLL.

I will of course try to disembark as early as possible. Anyone having experience? How soon can I expect to disembark and get through immigration and customs (not an US citizen)? and what is the best type of transport from the quay to the airport?

I have contingency plans in case of delays or problems, but would very much like to reach UA1985 at 10 am.

Hoping to get some good advice for my planning - thank you in advance.

Thank you CruiserBruce.

I can imagine that this might be a frequent subject for discussion - normally I'm the last person to leave the cruise ship. But this time it will be different. Thank you for making me feel a bit better.

There is risk to this.

I would say it's possible. You just never know and since you are not from the USA that could add more time.

As CruiserBruce said you want to carry your bags off the ship and be in the first grouping.

Now please be aware that sometimes too many others have the same thing in mind and if too many people attempt this it ends up causing havoc.

There are five other ships with you in port which is typical for that time of year but that adds to the challenge.

I am glad you have a contingency plan.

Just wondering, while getting to the Miami airport would add some time to your driving time (it is about 45 minute drive from the port) did you look at flights out of there just to see if there was more choice since it is a much larger airport.

I wish you the best on this.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

Hi Keith

Thank you for your comments - Yes - as non-US it will take more time to get through immigration - I'll try to be first in line.

I can only see two ships for Friday March 4 i Port Everglades - Island Princess and Celebrity Equinox?

Have checked all services including MIA - Unfortunately MIA is not an option - will not bring me early enough into CPH - and not with preferred Star Alliance.

Wonder if it will help with a private transfer rather than a taxi?

hallsam, you are correct. I just rechecked and it is 2 ships. I mistakenly looked at March 6.

I would go with the taxi.

Sometimes private vehicles don't show up at the right time or you might have trouble finding it so I would go with a taxi.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

Please also consider that making the FLL flight won't necessarily be a moment to exhale and relax. Early March weather is a wild card in the northeast, and if there are issues in the NY/NJ area that mroning, your 10am flight may not get off the ground on time. Know your alternatives beforehand if it is important that you be home by a certain time.

hallsam, you are correct. I just rechecked and it is 2 ships. I mistakenly looked at March 6.

I would go with the taxi.

Sometimes private vehicles don't show up at the right time or you might have trouble finding it so I would go with a taxi.

'

Thank you for the update on ships

There will be plenty of taxis.

Thank you

Please also consider that making the FLL flight won't necessarily be a moment to exhale and relax. Early March weather is a wild card in the northeast, and if there are issues in the NY/NJ area that mroning, your 10am flight may not get off the ground on time. Know your alternatives beforehand if it is important that you be home by a certain time.

Then the problem is out of "my hands" and I'll enforce my contingency plans - my onward connection out of EWR might also be delayed.

You seem to know the risks and have the contingency plan. So I would just check at the desk to find out what time they expect the first cruisers able to leave the ship and exactly where you need to be. Then get there earlier. Lots do this in Ft. L so you want to beat as many as you can.

On a normal day without odd delays, you can be at the airport easily before 8.

Have a great time.