Diamonds International ?

junglecat

Sound advice: ask yourself those questions.

There is a phenomenon common to many cruisers: they buy "art" on ships and diamonds ashore. Perhaps there is not enough room in their carry-one for scepticism and common sense.

In the hospitality business, I've learned that many, if not most, people on vacation either forget to pack or outright leave at home their common sense ;)

If I saw something I liked at a cruise port jewelry store, I'd take a photo of it, bring it my jeweler at home and see what they could get that was close to it. I buy jewelry when I'm on vacation, but never anything over $200 or so.

To the OP: good luck getting things fixed and I hope you do not get ripped off for more. Did your local jeweler give you an estimate for fixing the ring locally? It may be worth it to do it that way than deal with DI and it's "maybe" quote...

Edited by slidergirl

Wife and I spent $4500.00 in Aruba at Diamonds International. Was there with a carnival cruise rep so we wouldn't make the wrong decision. They kept throwing in other pieces of jewelry to "sweeten" the deal. later found out the ring was 3300.00 and they charged us for the so called "freebies". 4 days later, the ring broke. Have been fighting D.I. now for 2 months, they will not address the issues of the under appraised ring or charging us for the freebies, and they will only either repair the ring,(which means shipping to them and trusting them with it to give us back the same stone, or exchange it with one on their very limited web sight of rings half the quality for twice the price. Carnival cruise originally told us all would be made right, even if it meant a full refund. Now they are backing what ever D.I. will offer. She doesn't trust them to fix it right and the "freebies" were pieces that she would probably never wear. Don't trust Diamonds International and don't trust Carnival Cruise at their word.

Now you have me very curious. Why would a Carnival Cruise "rep" go to a jeweler with you, and what makes you think that would give you any protection. Did they disclose that DI pays a large promotional fee to the cruise line (via their shore excursion company)? When you see all those ads on the ship for DI, TI, etc. do you think they are just there because the cruise line is pushing you to the best....or perhaps do you think it is because the cruise line's get paid to send you to those places?

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
Saw this re. Value of jewellery and not being a good investment.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2014/06/04/act-surprised-your-wedding-ring-is-a-terrible-investment/

Most jewelry (unless large investment grade) is a horrible investment. Wear it because you like it, but do not think you made an "investment." So hear is a test for doubters. The next time you get expensive jewelry appraised, ask the jeweler how much he/she would pay you if you wanted to sell the item. Most time it will be zero! But if you get a jeweler (or ask one who specializes in used/estate jewelry) they would likely offer you a small fraction of the appraised amount.

Also consider that you pay your insurance premium based on the appraised value, but the insurance company does not usually have to pay you that amount if the item is lost or stolen. They simply have to replace it with a comparable item....which they can usually purchase at far below appraised cost. So a high appraisal benefits the insurance company (more premiums) and the jewelers (people think what they buy is a good deal) but does not really benefit the owner other then stroking their ego.

Hank

Hank, you can pretty much substitute art work for jewelry. I once got into a "discussion" with a person who was, and probably still is, convinced that the art they purchased was going to give their grandchildren a tidy inheritance. Nothing was going to convince her otherwise because she brought up the higher appraised value than when they bought it and how she saw similar things for more than they paid.

Someone can have an appraisal for 10 times what they paid but the reality is, it's only worth what someone else will pay for it. I feel sorry for that person's grandchildren. Wonder if they've also "invested" in things from the Franklin Mint?

• 2 weeks later...

We were naïve in thinking with all the business, that Carnival and DI were on the up and up. We have gotten our credit card company involved and took the ring to another jeweler who found the setting to be weak and poor quality. This sign statement along with 30 pages of identical complains for Tripadvisor, BBB and cruise critic have been turned over to the credit card company as the next step in they suit.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry a bit late entering this discussion but I'm just starting to do everything I can to warn people about DI and to spread the word! Unlike a lot of the feedback we've seen online, our purchase wasn't defective and we didn't pay more than it's worth which seems like a minor miracle! It's a bit worse than that...

In the DI store in St Thomas we spent ages looking at completely overpriced engagement rings while being given massive amounts of champagne! We finally found a 3 carat princess cut and after getting them down by over $20k, agreed a sale. We also only bought it because we knew it was a deal for what it was as they told us the clarity, colour etc and produced the full EGL-US certificates with the rest of the info we wanted to know with it. They took it away for a couple hours to change the setting and when we got it back my boyfriend said it looked different but as we were rushing back to the ship (as they hope you do!) we didn't make much of it.

Living in England now we had to get a valuation done here for insurance purposes and to our shock what they came back with was not what we thought we had or the DI/EGL paperwork we were given! In fact they put on the valuation that they disregarded all of that as it didn't appear to be the same ring! It was 1/4 carat bigger, two grades lower in both clarity and colour and the dimensions were completely off making it lose the supposed 'very good' symmetry stone we thought we had down to the less desirable range. All in all just totally different! Luckily it's bad enough that their completely shocking terms and conditions where they don't take liability if they get it wrong by one grade on any one or more of the essential characteristics doesn't apply.

Anyway, DI in NYC are dealing with it, it's been a month and they've not admitted liability in so many words but have been searching for a 'replacement.' So far they offered us complete crap, a couple they want more money for (not sure how they even came up with the prices) and only yesterday I've been told they have a cushion cut to offer me next week once they get the certificates! I mean seriously I've never even looked or considered that cut its completely different!

I've been told to just get the lawyer involved as it meets the fraud criteria and they have completely misrepresented the stone. Seems like our only option I just hate to think how many people back home don't go and get stuff valued properly from there as the EGL paperwork is usually good enough for insurance companies there and how may other people this has happened too....disgusting really.

Making investments while on vacation on a cruise ships is silly. Jewelry....sure go ahead purchase if you like it but to go outside of the country thinking that you can make a wise investment whether it was artwork or jewels is a foolish move. No protection outside of what country you reside in and a professional beside you to make an intelligent opinion....a gamble at best.

Go on vacation to vacation not to talk yourself into spending your $$$ on a so called "investment":rolleyes:

I never went for an 'investment.' That's not what this is about. I didn't lose money on my purchase. Point is what they did is illegal. What I was lead to believe I was buying and provided 'legal' documentation for was in fact not what they let me walk out of the store with which is fraud defined by the misrepresentation of a stone. I'm not whining about overpaying or being ripped off. All I wanted to do is warn people it's not simply about overpaying and as you say looking for an investment - once they provide you with paperwork get a second opinion if yes, you're stupid enough to buy from them, as you've likely havent even got what think you did whether you paid over the odds or not. People need to stop blaming those who buy from them and brushing it under the carpet instead people need to actually do something about it. Had we got what we were told and provided the paperwork for then yes actually, it would have been a great investment!

I never went for an 'investment.' That's not what this is about. I didn't lose money on my purchase. Point is what they did is illegal. What I was lead to believe I was buying and provided 'legal' documentation for was in fact not what they let me walk out of the store with which is fraud defined by the misrepresentation of a stone. I'm not whining about overpaying or being ripped off. All I wanted to do is warn people it's not simply about overpaying and as you say looking for an investment - once they provide you with paperwork get a second opinion if yes, you're stupid enough to buy from them, as you've likely havent even got what think you did whether you paid over the odds or not. People need to stop blaming those who buy from them and brushing it under the carpet instead people need to actually do something about it. Had we got what we were told and provided the paperwork for then yes actually, it would have been a great investment!

I have a bit of trouble making your opening and closing statements jibe: "I never went for an investment". vs. "Had we got what we were told ... it would have been a great investment."

Also your third sentence: "I didn't lose money on my purchase." seems to be somewhat contradicted by your later contention that you were a victim of fraud -- as well as your earlier post addressing the fact that to date they have only offered you "complete crap" and that you believe retaining a lawyer is your best course.

I hope you return with a summary of how the whole thing plays out.

I never went with an investment in mind, to be specific the selection is a lot better there as I moved from NYC to England and they are also more expensive here to start. The latter investment comment obviously went amiss, had I of gotten what we were supposed to of had for the price (which may I add was in the tens of thousands) then it would have actually been worth a lot more than we paid and thus, an investment or whatever you want to call it without intention.

As for the fraud comment - when it comes to 'gemstones' it is not considered fraud if you simply paid over the odds, more fool you and luckily mine is still worth more than I paid just not what I was supposed to have purchased. I'm more about quality than price and fraud in terms of gemstones only occurs if the stone was misrepresented to you which it was in my case. And yes the stones they have offered me now with GIA certification do not meet the quality of the stone I should of had and are thus, crap. Either they should refund or replace with what I was supposed to have purchased. When you're talking the amount of money we spent I don't see anything wrong with getting a lawyer involved now they've had their chance!

I only came on here to point out that their pricing is not the only problem which most people have and they should ensure that what they left the store with and paid for is what they returned home with if they are going to go ahead an buy from DI.

Now you have me very curious. Why would a Carnival Cruise "rep" go to a jeweler with you, and what makes you think that would give you any protection. Did they disclose that DI pays a large promotional fee to the cruise line (via their shore excursion company)? When you see all those ads on the ship for DI, TI, etc. do you think they are just there because the cruise line is pushing you to the best....or perhaps do you think it is because the cruise line's get paid to send you to those places?

Hank

Hank, what I've seen is the Onboard Port Shopping Advisor go to Diamonds International - the one from our MSC Divina cruise 2 weeks ago did that in Nassau. I should mention the fellow did not look like an expert in shopping to me, LOL! But there he was in the DI store as we passed it by "helping" others on our cruise with purchases in DI. We just shook our heads and kept on walking. Maybe it's just me, but buying jewelry is not really something I want to do on a vacation.

We also noticed a boat with lots of people in it coming from Atlantis. The boat was covered in Diamonds International advertising on the sides. I think it was actually taking Atlantis guests to the Diamonds International store in downtown Nassau. So, they have found a way to prey on more tourists than just cruisers - at least there.

sorry a bit late entering this discussion but I'm just starting to do everything I can to warn people about DI and to spread the word! Unlike a lot of the feedback we've seen online, our purchase wasn't defective and we didn't pay more than it's worth which seems like a minor miracle! It's a bit worse than that...

In the DI store in St Thomas we spent ages looking at completely overpriced engagement rings while being given massive amounts of champagne! We finally found a 3 carat princess cut and after getting them down by over $20k, agreed a sale. We also only bought it because we knew it was a deal for what it was as they told us the clarity, colour etc and produced the full EGL-US certificates with the rest of the info we wanted to know with it. They took it away for a couple hours to change the setting and when we got it back my boyfriend said it looked different but as we were rushing back to the ship (as they hope you do!) we didn't make much of it.

Living in England now we had to get a valuation done here for insurance purposes and to our shock what they came back with was not what we thought we had or the DI/EGL paperwork we were given! In fact they put on the valuation that they disregarded all of that as it didn't appear to be the same ring! It was 1/4 carat bigger, two grades lower in both clarity and colour and the dimensions were completely off making it lose the supposed 'very good' symmetry stone we thought we had down to the less desirable range. All in all just totally different! Luckily it's bad enough that their completely shocking terms and conditions where they don't take liability if they get it wrong by one grade on any one or more of the essential characteristics doesn't apply.

Anyway, DI in NYC are dealing with it, it's been a month and they've not admitted liability in so many words but have been searching for a 'replacement.' So far they offered us complete crap, a couple they want more money for (not sure how they even came up with the prices) and only yesterday I've been told they have a cushion cut to offer me next week once they get the certificates! I mean seriously I've never even looked or considered that cut its completely different!

I've been told to just get the lawyer involved as it meets the fraud criteria and they have completely misrepresented the stone. Seems like our only option I just hate to think how many people back home don't go and get stuff valued properly from there as the EGL paperwork is usually good enough for insurance companies there and how may other people this has happened too....disgusting really.

It is possible that they sold you one stone, but switched it for another before you left the store (this is one reason you should NEVER have your rings cleaned in most jewelry stores where you don't know the employees - it only takes a few seconds to switch a stone.) Tell DI that you want a GIA certified stone and don't accept EGL or non-certified. GIA certification improves the value of the stone and is a superior certification to EGL. My best friend was a diamond rep for many years (sold to Tiffany's among many other very famous stores.) She has told me all about the industry and various dirty tricks that jewelry stores play on customers. Sadly the jewelry industry is full of con artists and people who are terribly unethical.

It is possible that they sold you one stone, but switched it for another before you left the store (this is one reason you should NEVER have your rings cleaned in most jewelry stores where you don't know the employees - it only takes a few seconds to switch a stone.) Tell DI that you want a GIA certified stone and don't accept EGL or non-certified. GIA certification improves the value of the stone and is a superior certification to EGL. My best friend was a diamond rep for many years (sold to Tiffany's among many other very famous stores.) She has told me all about the industry and various dirty tricks that jewelry stores play on customers. Sadly the jewelry industry is full of con artists and people who are terribly unethical.

Yes! This is exactly what we think happened when they took it away to switch the setting. I have pictures and a little video of my hand wih the original stone/setting and then the new one. It's hard to tell or prove but there are subtle differences you can see when you pay attention especially the colour.

Sadly we knew to be weary about pricing but I never thought about them handing me certificates and lying about it. If they hadn't given me anything then more fool me but I've got two reports and the email receipt to back up what we should of had all given to us by DI.

I've insisted on GIA certificates for all the 'replacement' stones on offer, as you say much more trustworthy. I'm not even worried about value which was what I had originally been saying, I just want to know that I'm walking around with the quality diamond chose and wanted!

Thanks for the advice 😄

I never went with an investment in mind, to be specific the selection is a lot better there as I moved from NYC to England and they are also more expensive here to start. The latter investment comment obviously went amiss, had I of gotten what we were supposed to of had for the price (which may I add was in the tens of thousands) then it would have actually been worth a lot more than we paid and thus, an investment or whatever you want to call it without intention.

As for the fraud comment - when it comes to 'gemstones' it is not considered fraud if you simply paid over the odds, more fool you and luckily mine is still worth more than I paid just not what I was supposed to have purchased. I'm more about quality than price and fraud in terms of gemstones only occurs if the stone was misrepresented to you which it was in my case. And yes the stones they have offered me now with GIA certification do not meet the quality of the stone I should of had and are thus, crap. Either they should refund or replace with what I was supposed to have purchased. When you're talking the amount of money we spent I don't see anything wrong with getting a lawyer involved now they've had their chance!

I only came on here to point out that their pricing is not the only problem which most people have and they should ensure that what they left the store with and paid for is what they returned home with if they are going to go ahead an buy from DI.

To the extent that you have NOT, in fact, received the stone you PAID for, the fact that the stone you were TOLD you purchased was worth more than you paid seems immaterial.

I hope you keep us advised as to the ultimate outcome - when you can compare the value of the stone you wind up with against the total of what you paid for it (including any attorneys' fees and other related expenses). Only then will it be possible to state with any certainty whether you got taken, made a reasonable deal, or got a bargain.

Yes! This is exactly what we think happened when they took it away to switch the setting. I have pictures and a little video of my hand wih the original stone/setting and then the new one. It's hard to tell or prove but there are subtle differences you can see when you pay attention especially the colour.

Sadly we knew to be weary about pricing but I never thought about them handing me certificates and lying about it. If they hadn't given me anything then more fool me but I've got two reports and the email receipt to back up what we should of had all given to us by DI.

I've insisted on GIA certificates for all the 'replacement' stones on offer, as you say much more trustworthy. I'm not even worried about value which was what I had originally been saying, I just want to know that I'm walking around with the quality diamond chose and wanted!

Thanks for the advice

Always look at the diamond you are buying with a loupe. You can by a lighted one on Amazon for $12 or so. Look for inclusions and memorize where they are - almost all diamonds have inclusions and they are like fingerprints. When they set a stone and bring it back to you, check the stone again with the loupe. If you can't see the inclusions you remember or they seem different or more of them, refuse to pay for the stone. This is the loupe I use:

http://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Illuminated-Jewelers-Magnifier-Magnifying/dp/B00K0BGNNC/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459124850&sr=8-5&keywords=loupe

Bring it with you if you intend to have your ring cleaned as well.

I'll tell you how to trap the jeweler, take the ring into DI and don't tell them you got it there. Act like you got it somewhere else. Express concern about the quality. Ask the salesperson to look at the ring with a loupe and ask them if it is what your certificate says it is. When they say no, tell them you got it from them and want a better stone, produce your paper work and start shopping to get what you should have gotten in the first place.

In future, you might ask the jeweler to bring out their GIA Master Set when purchasing a diamond to compare the diamonds you are shown to the Master set.

Edited by SuiteTraveler