Passport Issues - Beware

saroede97

I said it said the Gold Star was recomended but not required. It may have some other indicator but I don't have a clue to what that would be. I am not going to look up the link again. But all the pages say that drivers licenses from Real ID compliant states are acceptable. It does not say the licenses must have a special mark to be accepted. All the web site pages say to check the list to see if your state is compliant. None say to check if your license has a special mark. Maryland was one of the first compiant states and all Maryland licenses are compliant.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/press-releases/2012/122112.htm

As for bringing in documents, we did not have to do that. Maryland electronically verified identities. That method was accepted by the government. All Maryland licenses are compliant. Every one of them, and none have a Gold Star.

According to the MVA website they do issue both compliant and non-compliant licenses and IDs:

"What is the difference between a Federally Compliant and Federally Non-Compliant DL/ID?

US Citizens, immigrants with permanent residence and non-immigrants with valid US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation to prove lawful status in the US are eligible for a federally compliant DL/ID.

Immigrants that do not have valid US Citizenship and Immigration documentation are eligible to apply for a non-compliant DL/ID effective January 1, 2014.

Current Maryland DL/ID holders that do not have a verified Social Security number, and have maintained a valid DL/ID without expiring over one (1) year are also eligible to renew their DL/ID. Their new DL/ID will be Federally Non-Compliant."

There must be a way for someone to visually tell them apart. I believe you when you say your license is compliant, but I know if it were me I would want to know what set my license apart from others.

According to the MVA website they do issue both compliant and non-compliant licenses and IDs:

"What is the difference between a Federally Compliant and Federally Non-Compliant DL/ID?

US Citizens, immigrants with permanent residence and non-immigrants with valid US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation to prove lawful status in the US are eligible for a federally compliant DL/ID.

Immigrants that do not have valid US Citizenship and Immigration documentation are eligible to apply for a non-compliant DL/ID effective January 1, 2014.

Current Maryland DL/ID holders that do not have a verified Social Security number, and have maintained a valid DL/ID without expiring over one (1) year are also eligible to renew their DL/ID. Their new DL/ID will be Federally Non-Compliant."

There must be a way for someone to visually tell them apart. I believe you when you say your license is compliant, but I know if it were me I would want to know what set my license apart from others.

If the picture I found is accurate then I've figured it out- if someone in Maryland has a non-compliant license the words "NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR FEDERAL PURPOSES" is written across the top. Whew, now it makes more sense.:)

I looked into the Real ID matter several years ago so I knew my Drivers License was compliant. There was a big discussion in a Maryland in 2012 about that and that we did not have to bring in documents because they were doing the verification electronically. I also have a Global Entry card so I have that as a backup ID.

As for the non compliant cards you mention in the other post, that is something they only started issuing in January 2014 because they started allowing undocumented workers get drivers licenses then. Before 2014 that did not exist. There were no non compliant licences before then because none could get a drivers licence who was undocumented. Only undocumented workers will have those now.

Edited by Charles4515

Just an update to this site.

I am posting the same information to the other thread that was initially running at the same time.

On December 30, 2015 we went to our county seat in Ohio and got the forms to fill out for our passports (I know we could have gotten them on line, but we needed our pictures done also). Got our picture taken. No smile:mad:, no white shirt:D

After completing the forms we went to the post office and mailed the forms out in the envelope recommended to us as flat rate packaging, we did not rush them or do overnight.

We also did not request or pay for express service, just regular service.

We were given a tracking number but with the holiday (New Years) we just did not follow too closely.

Today exactly 2 weeks later our passports were in our mailbox.

Must have been yet another slow period.

In the envelope were inserts regarding how to obtain that new global entry.

So, happy its all done.

Later