Passport Issues - Beware

saroede97

A travel agent friend posted this on FB. It makes sense, all the people who got passports when the travel rules changed are up for renewal.

The passport “crisis” of 2007 is about to return in 2016, according to a senior government official, speaking at the recent ASTA Global Convention in Washington D.C.

Nearly a decade ago, new requirements mandating Americans to have passports for travel to Mexico and Canada led to a surge in applications and a backlog in processing the documents.

With many of those documents set to expire over the next 24 months, coupled with an increase in Americans traveling abroad (today 125 million U.S. citizens have passports), Brenda Sprague, deputy assistant secretary of Passport Services at the U.S. State Department, said, “If I haven’t scared you to death, I haven’t accomplished my mission.”

Sprague spoke during the ASTA’s first Global Travel Exchange, an event aimed at connecting international ASTA members with U.S. members.

She warned travel advisors to make sure the first thing they ask clients about the status of their current passports.

Renew—or apply—ASAP

Agents should advise clients to take care of passport renewals as soon as possible or, for those seeking a passport for the first time, to apply for one right away, Sprague said.

In addition to saving expedited processing fees, getting clients ahead of the curve will ensure they are not disappointed by not receiving their passports in time for their trips, she added.

Sprague also noted that it’s not true that there’s a specific waiting period before a passport expires before people can seek a renewal.

Another issue is that next January citizens who run out of visa pages will have to obtain a new passport instead of having additional pages inserted. Two options will be available: either 28 or 52 pages with no difference in cost.

Sprague noted that more than 90% of passports that are returned have less than two pages used.

Many countries require passports be valid for six months on arrival, so agents should check on this. Agents should also be aware that passports for children under 16 are valid only for five years.

Passport season

In the past “passport [application and renewal] season” began in mid-January, peaked in March and then ran steadily through August before trailing off, said Sprague.

Since last year, the trend has been for it to continue rising throughout the year. “This summer, it never slowed down,” Sprague noted.

While passports aren’t required for cruises that begin and end in U.S. ports, Sprague said agents should encourage clients to obtain passports anyway, noting that people may get sick or injured when visiting ports and have to fly back.

And when clients lose their passports, agents should have them check thoroughly before reporting it because once the passport is reported missing, it can’t be reinstated even if it’s found, Sprague said.

We are actually going to our county city hall tomorrow to get our pictures done and fill out the forms.

A service our county provides for a small fee.

We live in "small" town USA and the ladies at the desk assist everyone in filling out the forms, and checking them.

We frown get our picture taken and write the check and they bulk mail them out.

Ours do not expire till May, and our cruise is in August.

Thanks for the heads up thought.

Safe travels.

I got my son's first passport in about 2-3 weeks this fall.

I don't think (just my personal opinion) there's going to be that big of an issue with people getting renewals -- it's not like EVERYONE is going to send them all in on the same day (although, if this "article" gets spread around, that's exactly what could happen!:rolleyes:).

Some of the people who initially got one when the new rules started have passed away. Others are no longer physically able to travel and won't need to renew. Still others aren't financially able to travel, or know that they won't be traveling anytime soon and so won't bother renewing right away -- if you know you're not going to cruise this year, you can wait to renew and save the money.

Look at how many threads get started here about people who STILL don't have a passport, even after all this time.

As long as our government doesn't do anything boneheaded like shut down for budget furloughs, applications for new and renewed passports will continue to come in on a daily basis and they will continue to be processed and mailed out on a daily basis.

Side note for someone needing to process an application -- check with the township office / village hall of communities around your general area. Appointments at the post office in my area were booked out three weeks in advance (and because I was getting my minor son's passport, I needed to have both parents present for the application process). But I called a nearby township office and they don't even require an appointment -- just stop in during business hours and at least one hour before closing. It wasn't even necessary to be a resident of that township -- they'll take anyone's money. :D

We are actually going to our county city hall tomorrow to get our pictures done and fill out the forms.

We live in "small" town USA and the ladies at the desk assist everyone in filling out the forms, and checking them.

We frown get our picture taken and write the check and they bulk mail them out...

I thought that local offices such as your county city hall only handled DS-11 (Application for a U.S. Passport) and not DS-82 (U.S. Passport Renewal Application). Have you had your local office handle a renewal before? Do they charge a fee?

I've always (I think I've had eight renewals [back when I first got a passport they were good for only 3 years]) just filled out the Renewal Application and mailed it in with my old passport, new pictures and the renewal fee. In Dec 2014 I had the new passport back in less than 3 weeks, with the old (now cancelled) passport back in about another week. If a local office would handle renewals, that might be even easier.

Thom

I thought that local offices such as your county city hall only handled DS-11 (Application for a U.S. Passport) and not DS-82 (U.S. Passport Renewal Application). Have you had your local office handle a renewal before? Do they charge a fee?

I've always (I think I've had eight renewals [back when I first got a passport they were good for only 3 years]) just filled out the Renewal Application and mailed it in with my old passport, new pictures and the renewal fee. In Dec 2014 I had the new passport back in less than 3 weeks, with the old (now cancelled) passport back in about another week. If a local office would handle renewals, that might be even easier.

Thom

Yes when our daughters was ready to expire we got hers done there, that was five years ago.

I will let you know how it goes after lunch.

Sea Ya

Yes when our daughters was ready to expire we got hers done there, that was five years ago.

I will let you know how it goes after lunch.

Sea Ya

If you're getting a minor's passport, there is no renewal. It's always a new passport. Only adult passports (after age 16) are allowed to be renewed. I've done my boys twice already, and the older one is now over 16 so he'll apply for a new, adult passport sometime in the next 6 months. Younger one's expires in July (after 5 years) and since he'll only be 14, he'll need one more minor passport before we're done. Going to be interesting to try and get his father (my ex) to actually go with me to get him a new one.

A travel agent friend posted this on FB. It makes sense, all the people who got passports when the travel rules changed are up for renewal.

The passport “crisis” of 2007 is about to return in 2016, according to a senior government official, speaking at the recent ASTA Global Convention in Washington D.C.

Nearly a decade ago, new requirements mandating Americans to have passports for travel to Mexico and Canada led to a surge in applications and a backlog in processing the documents.

With many of those documents set to expire over the next 24 months, coupled with an increase in Americans traveling abroad (today 125 million U.S. citizens have passports), Brenda Sprague, deputy assistant secretary of Passport Services at the U.S. State Department, said, “If I haven’t scared you to death, I haven’t accomplished my mission.”

Sprague spoke during the ASTA’s first Global Travel Exchange, an event aimed at connecting international ASTA members with U.S. members.

She warned travel advisors to make sure the first thing they ask clients about the status of their current passports.

Renew—or apply—ASAP

Agents should advise clients to take care of passport renewals as soon as possible or, for those seeking a passport for the first time, to apply for one right away, Sprague said.

In addition to saving expedited processing fees, getting clients ahead of the curve will ensure they are not disappointed by not receiving their passports in time for their trips, she added.

Sprague also noted that it’s not true that there’s a specific waiting period before a passport expires before people can seek a renewal.

Another issue is that next January citizens who run out of visa pages will have to obtain a new passport instead of having additional pages inserted. Two options will be available: either 28 or 52 pages with no difference in cost.

Sprague noted that more than 90% of passports that are returned have less than two pages used.

Many countries require passports be valid for six months on arrival, so agents should check on this. Agents should also be aware that passports for children under 16 are valid only for five years.

Passport season

In the past “passport [application and renewal] season” began in mid-January, peaked in March and then ran steadily through August before trailing off, said Sprague.

Since last year, the trend has been for it to continue rising throughout the year. “This summer, it never slowed down,” Sprague noted.

While passports aren’t required for cruises that begin and end in U.S. ports, Sprague said agents should encourage clients to obtain passports anyway, noting that people may get sick or injured when visiting ports and have to fly back.

And when clients lose their passports, agents should have them check thoroughly before reporting it because once the passport is reported missing, it can’t be reinstated even if it’s found, Sprague said.

Renewals have been taking approximately three weeks period. I call that no issues...:rolleyes:

We frown get our picture taken and write the check and they bulk mail them out.

Ours do not expire till May, and our cruise is in August.

Thanks for the heads up thought.

Safe travels.

And you can frown for your picture also, but not smile. :eek:

Just renewed DH's passport and was told you are no longer allowed to smile for

your passport photo!

Wow.

Currently getting pictures processed

Forms filled out.

Checked

Printing picture now

Passport fee $110

Picture $10

We don't have a CVS or Walgreens in hock town USA

Not permitted to mail anymore

Walking to post office next door to mail

Printed mailing label for us.

Later

"If I haven't scared you to death I haven't accomplished my mission".

Too many in government think that they need to do that to citizens in order to do their job. Yes, there may be some delays in processing because of the anniversary but I doubt they will be significant (of course if someone waits until the last minute and misses a flight or whatever than it would be significant). Fortunately we just obtained our first passports and don't need to worry about renewal for another 9 and a half years.

We are good until 2023....hope anyone needing new or renewed passports get going and don't delay, it could ruin your cruise/travel plans.

Don't forget you'll need to either send in your old passport for renewal or original BC for a new application....this leaves you with nothing until your new ones arrives. Don't get caught in that situation. :eek:

I renewed mine end of November and received the new one in less than 2 weeks. This was using regular service not expedited. I received an email from them saying they were processing it and would take 4 to 6 weeks but it arrived the next day.

Donna

And you can frown for your picture also, but not smile. :eek:

Just renewed DH's passport and was told you are no longer allowed to smile for

your passport photo!

I believe that a "natural" smile is acceptable. That is, if your face is in a neutral position, some people just naturally look more happy than others. I had a slight smile in my most recent photos and had no problems getting my renewal. I figure if I have to live with the photo for 10 years in my passport, it might as well be something at least reasonably flattering!

Edited:

Here is the text from the Department of State website, regarding facial expressions in passport photos:

"Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open"

So, frowning is no longer a requirement -- you just can't grin ear to ear!

Edited by Pitzel

If you're getting a minor's passport, there is no renewal. It's always a new passport. Only adult passports (after age 16) are allowed to be renewed. I've done my boys twice already, and the older one is now over 16 so he'll apply for a new, adult passport sometime in the next 6 months. Younger one's expires in July (after 5 years) and since he'll only be 14, he'll need one more minor passport before we're done. Going to be interesting to try and get his father (my ex) to actually go with me to get him a new one.

My daughter just turned 16 this past fall and her passport expired last summer. We didn't renew it since we knew she wouldn't be traveling abroad and figured we could wait until she turned 16 to get an adult one. The only issue is we live in NY and her Dad lives in OR. Not sure how that works since we both had to be together to get her first one..

My daughter just turned 16 this past fall and her passport expired last summer. We didn't renew it since we knew she wouldn't be traveling abroad and figured we could wait until she turned 16 to get an adult one. The only issue is we live in NY and her Dad lives in OR. Not sure how that works since we both had to be together to get her first one..
Should not be a problem. From State Department site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/16-and-17.html

Parental Consent

Children ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the child to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

NOTE: Although the two-parent consent requirement does not apply to children aged 16 or 17, per Department regulations a passport generally will not be issued to a child if a parent or legal guardian who has custodial rights over a child has notified the Department in writing that he or she objects to issuance of the passport.

Should not be a problem. From State Department site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/16-and-17.html

Parental Consent

Children ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the child to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

NOTE: Although the two-parent consent requirement does not apply to children aged 16 or 17, per Department regulations a passport generally will not be issued to a child if a parent or legal guardian who has custodial rights over a child has notified the Department in writing that he or she objects to issuance of the passport.

I was just coming back to update that I had infact found my answer on that website as well. I always assume (I know I shouldn't) that because she is still a minor I would need both parents. Not that it couldn't be done as we get along, but just geographically not possible. lol

Interesting that she can apply for a passport alone but can't travel on a bus with a layover at the age of 16 alone. Ha!

I believe that a "natural" smile is acceptable. That is, if your face is in a neutral position, some people just naturally look more happy than others. I had a slight smile in my most recent photos and had no problems getting my renewal. I figure if I have to live with the photo for 10 years in my passport, it might as well be something at least reasonably flattering!

Edited:

Here is the text from the Department of State website, regarding facial expressions in passport photos:

"Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open"

So, frowning is no longer a requirement -- you just can't grin ear to ear!

When I had mine done a few months ago, I flashed a good smile. No problems. But CVS manager that did DH's photo 2 weeks ago said he could not smile at all. He just looks like he is smirking. ;) Not sure why they poo-pooed the smile thing. Watch out for the smile police!! :eek: :p :p