Passport Issues - Beware

saroede97

DH's passport expires July 2017. We are sailing around the horn, Chile to Argentina Jan 2017. I don't want to get caught with the 6-month expiration issue, I'm thinking send it for renewal by Oct/Nov 2016?
According to the US State Department neither Chile nor Argentina have a 6-month expiration requirement. Chile is listed as requiring that the passport has to be good "for the duration of the stay", while Argentina only requires "Must be valid at time of entry". Note that Argentina requires payment of a Visa Reciprocity Fee on-line PRIOR to arrival (Chile has a similar fee, but payable upon arrival). Around the Horn is a great trip, ENJOY.

Thom

According to the US State Department neither Chile nor Argentina have a 6-month expiration requirement. Chile is listed as requiring that the passport has to be good "for the duration of the stay", while Argentina only requires "Must be valid at time of entry". Note that Argentina requires payment of a Visa Reciprocity Fee on-line PRIOR to arrival (Chile has a similar fee, but payable upon arrival). Around the Horn is a great trip, ENJOY.

Thom

Oh that's great news, thanks! Definitely a bucket list trip :D

I may just renew it, just in case. Just in case...

Edited by sr4mjc

I have a question, my daughter has a passport card, NOW she needs a passport for a future trip, would this be a renewal or a NEW card?
What age is your daughter? Anything for a child under 16 is handled with a DS-11 (new application, not the DS-82 Renewal) and requires both parents' approval (or court order, etc).

If the Passport Card was issued when she was 16 or older, then it should be a Renewal to get a Passport Book. When you renew a Passport Book the old one is marked CANCELLED and returned. I'm GUESSING that submitting a Passport Card to apply for a new Passport Book will result in the cancellation of the Passport Card.

Thom

For our new passports, it looks like they blew up and distorted our pictures. UGLY! With the new federal law requiring enhanced drivers licenses for air travel, there are a number of states that will be out of compliance. Passengers without enhanced drivers licenses may have to use passports to fly. Will this cause a further backlog at the passport processing centers?

http://www.govtech.com/state/GT-REAL-ID-Act-Catches-Up-with-States.html

OK

I am confused someone please clarify.

I am not from New York, but curious.

How does the state drivers license not meet travel guidelines for ID?

As posted earlier on this thread.

Thanks

The TSA says it doesn't.:rolleyes: This only applies to NY license's that are not EDL'S. Edited by FLACRUISER99

OK

I am confused someone please clarify.

I am not from New York, but curious.

How does the state drivers license not meet travel guidelines for ID?

As posted earlier on this thread.

Thanks

The US government has set standards for ID cards that can be used for flying, and the driver's licenses from several states don't meet the standards that are coming into effect next year.

...With the new federal law requiring enhanced drivers licenses for air travel, there are a number of states that will be out of compliance. Passengers without enhanced drivers licenses may have to use passports to fly...
There is no new federal law requiring Enhanced Driver's Licenses for air travel. People are incorrectly confusing portions of the Real ID Act and provisions of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). The Real ID Act sets requirements for Federal acceptance of a state issued ID - many states have already met these requirements, many have not. Separately WHTI sets requirements (more severe than Real ID) for Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL) that are functionally equivalent to a Passport Card (NOT a Passport Book). Only a very few states actually have EDLs. Notably regular NY DLs are NOT in compliance with Real ID, but NY is one of the few states which does offer (at extra cost) EDLs. EDLs do meet (and exceed) the standards of Real ID.

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

For our new passports, it looks like they blew up and distorted our pictures. UGLY! With the new federal law requiring enhanced drivers licenses for air travel, there are a number of states that will be out of compliance. Passengers without enhanced drivers licenses may have to use passports to fly. Will this cause a further backlog at the passport processing centers?

http://www.govtech.com/state/GT-REAL-ID-Act-Catches-Up-with-States.html

We need to be careful using the term "enhanced drivers license" because it is a special kind of license that verifies ID and citizenship from one document (and thus may be used to cross land borders and for cruises in the Western Hemisphere). EDL's are only issued by 5 states (it may be 6 at this point). Licenses and ID's that are REAL ID compliant (which is what is being discussed) meet several key security features established by Federal regulation. I believe that a REAL ID compliant license is identified by a gold star on the license and must be obtained in person by presenting proof of citizenship and identity. An EDL is identified by a US flag on the license. A REAL ID compliant license may be used as ID to enter Federal jurisdiction (Federal building, Federal courthouse, airport terminal). A non-compliant license may not be used to enter such facilities.

There is no new federal law requiring Enhanced Driver's Licenses for air travel. People are incorrectly confusing portions of the Real ID Act and provisions of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). The Real ID Act sets requirements for Federal acceptance of a state issued ID - many states have already met these requirements, many have not. Separately WHTI sets requirements (more severe than Real ID) for Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL) that are functionally equivalent to a Passport Card (NOT a Passport Book). Only a very few states actually have EDLs. Notably regular NY DLs are NOT in compliance with Real ID, but NY is one of the few states which does offer (at extra cost) EDLs. EDLs do meet (and exceed) the standards of Real ID.

Thom

The media must be reporting things in error, because all I keep hearing and reading from the media is how enforcement of the Real ID Act is going to cause issues with air travel. I have pasted some media links about the situation below. I must be confused about the whole issue.

http://www.startribune.com/real-id-issues-are-about-to-get-real-for-minnesotans/329655171/

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article51583270.html

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/09/louisiana_drivers_licenses_non.html

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/real-id-may-create-real-headaches-for-travelers-in-2016.html

The media must be reporting things in error, because all I keep hearing and reading from the media is how enforcement of the Real ID Act is going to cause issues with air travel. I have pasted some media links about the situation below. I must be confused about the whole issue.

http://www.startribune.com/real-id-issues-are-about-to-get-real-for-minnesotans/329655171/

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/09/louisiana_drivers_licenses_non.html

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/real-id-may-create-real-headaches-for-travelers-in-2016.html

Because there are several states that issue drivers licenses or state IDs that are not Real ID compliant, people with those IDs will need to show another form of Real ID compliant identification such as a passport when traveling domestically unless their state has an extension. NY has an extension until Oct 2016 because unless you apply for a EDL (enhanced DL) your regular NY DL will be not be good enough as it doesn't meet their requirements. The state of NY is supposed to be creating a compliant document because I am sure not everyone wants or needs a EDL.

Part of your confusion might be from the terminology. The other part might be because the individual states are fighting battles and seem to be intentionally making it more confusing.

The Feds wanted people to have to prove who they are to do certain more sensitive things: enter Federal buildings, enter military bases, fly on planes, etc. Things/places that bad folks might target.

Some states say that takes away their rights to decide what their citizens can/cannot do.

Both sides seem to me to have very valid concerns. However, as most of these things involve either Federal property or interstate travel, I tend to side more with the Federal viewpoint. I know it's POSSIBLE to travel inside your own state on a plane, but REALISTICALLY most plane trips are to other states. Having MORE multiple procedures seems silly, but government (at any level) seems intent on adding silliness.

The Real ID standard and the Enhanced Driver's License terms are thrown around like they are synonymous, but they aren't. Wouldn't it be nice if they were? However, that's an entirely different conversation.

It would be nice, one day in the future (cue the "IN THE YEEEEEAAAARRRR 2000" theme from Conan) when we are all driving flying cars, to have one document that served all those purposes.

I believe that was the original intent in 2005. They wanted to be able to say "This is Jim Smith. This is a form of ID that clearly states this is Jim Smith. This document looks and behaves the same way in Alaska as it does in North Carolina. Everyone knows this is Jim Smith because it has everything we all need on it. We know, at least reasonably so because we know there are always criminals with superpowers, it hasn't been forged because it has the standard safety protocols."

However, 50 states... 50 stupid, self-centered ideas about what benefits them the most. And there are always 3-5 states with extraordinarily stupid, self-centered ideas... just to be contrarian.

... With the new federal law requiring enhanced drivers licenses for air travel, there are a number of states that will be out of compliance...

The issue is that you are using the term "enhanced drivers license" generically when that term has a very specific legal meaning. The first three articles you list come from states (MN, MO, LA) that do NOT have (nor have any plans to have) EDLs.

Thom

Also, most countries won't accept a passport if it expires within four months of travel. This isn't a problem on a cruise, since you only need it to board, or to make travel arrangements if you miss the ship.

The time frame varies by country and is anywhere from 0 days to 6 months. The U.S. State Dept has that information if you search by country.

Something to really start thinking about since I only have two open unstamped pages left. The passport itself expires in 2019.

Better half is in Europe right now visiting our family - I hope she has at least one page open!

Something to really start thinking about since I only have two open unstamped pages left. The passport itself expires in 2019.

Better half is in Europe right now visiting our family - I hope she has at least one page open!

Note that most pages in US Passports are labeled "Visas", but the last ones are labelled "Endorsements". Some countries will NOT accept the Endorsements pages for entry or exit stamps, and it is possible to be refused entry:eek: if that is all you have left.

Thom

Because there are several states that issue drivers licenses or state IDs that are not Real ID compliant, people with those IDs will need to show another form of Real ID compliant identification such as a passport when traveling domestically unless their state has an extension. NY has an extension until Oct 2016 because unless you apply for a EDL (enhanced DL) your regular NY DL will be not be good enough as it doesn't meet their requirements. The state of NY is supposed to be creating a compliant document because I am sure not everyone wants or needs a EDL.

I have not heard that NY has received an extension to October 2016.

Here is the DHS link to which states are compliant/have extensions/ non compliant, ect...

http://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories#

Thank you so much for this post.

Ohio made the compliant list.

OK

So many post later from my initial question and again I shall ask.

What makes NY not compliant??????

The picture, the background check, still so confused.

Thanks again.

Not that it matters just curious............yet