Passport Issues - Beware

saroede97

Thank you so much for this post.

Ohio made the compliant list.

OK

So many post later from my initial question and again I shall ask.

What makes NY not compliant??????

The picture, the background check, still so confused.

Thanks again.

Not that it matters just curious............yet

Honestly, I am guessing because they don't ask for proof of citizenship to get a NY license. With a regular license all you need is proof of name, DOB, and social security card. For the EDL you have to have proof of SS number, 4 points of proof of identity, proof of citizenship, and proof of residency.

Thank you so much for this post.

Ohio made the compliant list.

OK

So many post later from my initial question and again I shall ask.

What makes NY not compliant??????

The picture, the background check, still so confused.

Thanks again.

Not that it matters just curious............yet

Since the REAL ID act covers so many different areas it is hard to tell where they aren't compliant and as this involves security they are unlikely to enumerate the exact reasons. The act covers documentation needed to obtain a license, security measures for the actual license to make it more difficult to counterfeit, secure storage for the equipment and supplies used in making the licenses, etc.

Since the REAL ID act covers so many different areas it is hard to tell where they aren't compliant and as this involves security they are unlikely to enumerate the exact reasons. The act covers documentation needed to obtain a license, security measures for the actual license to make it more difficult to counterfeit, secure storage for the equipment and supplies used in making the licenses, etc.

Thank you.

When Our DD had to get her temporary permit for a drivers trainee permit here in ohio she had to show social security card and birth certificate.

We get a state ID number, we do not have to put our social security number on our license.

thanks.

Thank you.

When Our DD had to get her temporary permit for a drivers trainee permit here in ohio she had to show social security card and birth certificate.

We get a state ID number, we do not have to put our social security number on our license.

thanks.

You are welcome. I believe a license that is REAL ID act compliant has a gold star on it (Vermont is a compliant state but people do have the ability to obtain a non-compliant license if they don't want to go to the DMV in person with the required documentation).

This is "much ado about nothing". If you need to renew your passport...renew it. What is the big deal? There isn't going to be any more of a mad rush for passports than there normally is. There is far too much fear mongering regarding travel these days.

:rolleyes:

Ok.

Happy New Year

Sprague noted that more than 90% of passports that are returned have less than two pages used.

That is sad. The world is a wonderful place to visit.

Keep in mind that with so much stuff being digital these days, passport stamps aren't always put in the book upon entry. Same for cruising. So "no stamps" does not equal "no travel" anymore.

My current passport has been in ten different foreign ports so far, and doesn't have a single stamp in it.

Keep in mind that with so much stuff being digital these days, passport stamps aren't always put in the book upon entry. Same for cruising. So "no stamps" does not equal "no travel" anymore.

My current passport has been in ten different foreign ports so far, and doesn't have a single stamp in it.

Good point. We just traveled to Europe, traveled through 4 countries, only 2 stamps.

Maybe I am missing something here...If I am understanding all this correctly, it sounds like those who do not have a passport will need this new enhanced DL. If this is the case, I can't imagine the DMV having hundreds of people trying to get their new license.

If the new DL costs $30 and most states it has to be renewed every 3 or 4 years, why not get your passport that is good for 10 years? :confused:

Maybe I am missing something here...If I am understanding all this correctly, it sounds like those who do not have a passport will need this new enhanced DL. If this is the case, I can't imagine the DMV having hundreds of people trying to get their new license.

If the new DL costs $30 and most states it has to be renewed every 3 or 4 years, why not get your passport that is good for 10 years? :confused:

This is what happened in Georgia. Everyone had to go in and renew their licenses instead of online renewals. They had to bring proof of citizenship, birth, job etc. There were 2-3 hour waits for the longest time last year and I had a friend that waited 3 hours just last week. It took less time to get my passports renewed.

Good point. We just traveled to Europe, traveled through 4 countries, only 2 stamps.

If you mainly travel inside the European Union you won't have many stamps. No border controls. I have a lot of stamps but only because I have been a lot outside the EU. Also never had it stamped on a cruise in the Caribbean but if you fly in to Mexico or the Dominican Republic or other islands they will stamp it.

Edited by Charles4515

If you mainly travel inside the European Union you won't have many stamps. No border controls...
It is the Schengen Zone, not the EU that has no border controls. There is a lot of commonality between EU and Schengen, but Schengen contains Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein which are not in the EU, and EU members UK, Ireland, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus are not in Schengen. Be prepared to show your passport going from London to Paris even though you have not left the EU; if you don't get an entry stamp into France going this route you are illegally in Schengen. Schengen exit officers are supposed to locate the entry stamp before they approve your exit; although some Southern countries might get lax on this, you will be missing your flight from FRA to London or the US while they sort out your lack of entry stamp:eek:

They will need to get a REAL ID compliant license and they cost the same as a regular license, one need only report to the DMV in person with the required paperwork. Whether one wants to get an Enhanced Drivers License is another question. I live within 8 miles of the Canadian border and rather than carry a passport or a passport card it is nice to have a border crossing document with me at all times. Since at the time we got the EDL all we could do was travel via cruise it made sense just to have them rather than a passport. We have subsequently obtained passports since this year we visited DW's family in Germany. We have decided to keep the EDLs because it is still one document to carry and is still good for cruising either as a primary document or as a backup.

So being in New York, I was going to get an EDL (I have a passport and have no issues taking that with me when flying), but if I'm reading correctly, the EDL won't be "good enough" so I'd end up having to get whatever they come up with for the REAL ID thing anyway. Right?

So since I have a passport, should I just hang with my current DL and passport until they get their rears in gear for the REAL ID thing or should I get the EDL anyway?

So being in New York, I was going to get an EDL (I have a passport and have no issues taking that with me when flying), but if I'm reading correctly, the EDL won't be "good enough" so I'd end up having to get whatever they come up with for the REAL ID thing anyway. Right?

So since I have a passport, should I just hang with my current DL and passport until they get their rears in gear for the REAL ID thing or should I get the EDL anyway?

I'm not in NY so "don't have a dog in this fight", but I'm 99+% sure that NY's EDL does met the Real ID requirement for flying, getting into Federal buildings, etc; it is the regular (non-EDL) NY driver's license that has not met Real ID standards.

I'm not in NY so "don't have a dog in this fight", but I'm 99+% sure that NY's EDL does met the Real ID requirement for flying, getting into Federal buildings, etc; it is the regular (non-EDL) NY driver's license that has not met Real ID standards.

It seems like it should since you have to prove citizenship.

My questioning is that the EDL has the American flag rather than the Gold Star.

Like I said, I've got a passport, so I'm good to go for traveling. I was going to get the EDL like over Presidents' Week break, but if I'm just going to have to get another REAL ID after October, I might as well just wait and keep using the passport.

Thanks for sharing. My passport expires Feb. 2017. I'll renew in November.

If you have no international travel plans in the six months before February, November or December would be good timing. Some countries require though that your passport not expire within six months of traveling there.

This is what happened in Georgia. Everyone had to go in and renew their licenses instead of online renewals. They had to bring proof of citizenship, birth, job etc. There were 2-3 hour waits for the longest time last year and I had a friend that waited 3 hours just last week. It took less time to get my passports renewed.

TY...this is what will happen everywhere!

Here in AZ our license are good until age 65! You are required to have a new photo every 10 years. Most of our MVD already have long wait times, this will only add to those long wait times!

Same thing here in coastal Ga. Had to wait three hours then had to come back twice till they got it right.

Renewed my MIL's passport first week of December 2015. Got it back in 3 weeks.

Edited by rt1092

This is "much ado about nothing". If you need to renew your passport...renew it. What is the big deal? There isn't going to be any more of a mad rush for passports than there normally is. There is far too much fear mongering regarding travel these days.

I disagree, if you read the article it doesn't say that there definitely WILL be a back log but very well could be. I posted as a heads up to those who are needing to renew.

If you think of it as fear mongering that is your opinion.

TravelThom is correct. The EDL from NY is RealID compliant. I just got mine in the mail on Saturday. It looks different from the normal ID and says Enhanced on it and has an American Flag which my Dhs does not. Along with a few other differences. If you get a EDL, you will not need to update your license in the future. If you do not get one, you will have to update it. For me, it was worth the "extra" 30.00 to not have to not have to deal with it or worry about what they are going to do come October if they are still fighting the compliance issues and don't get another extension.

Edited by CheerMom15