Comparison X to NCL

MarkusToe

Then you'll like the trend on NCL to make everything a la carte. I can't wait for their announcement that the pillow menu now shows the prices for each pillow!

Yes, as you and NLH Arizona indicated, a la carte can save, depending on what you order.

We never look at the pillow menu, the ones that come with the cabins are fine.

Wow...we left NCL for RCCL and then Celebrity. Since we are very content where we are, We don't want to change; however, if the prices for Celebrity keep going north, and we can find a great itinerary, then definitely we would consider other ships as long as they are newer in nature. Last year we moved to an S1 for only $300 above our C2 - which was such a great price in itself...we absolutely loved having the choice to eat in so many restaurants, along with the free specialty ones. So, for now, we are very happy and life is good!:) Just remember that all of us have our opinions and you don't know for sure if you don't try it yourself, but I for one learned the hard way and now I always do my homework and then some! People's priorities are very skewed toward certain, and sometimes very trivial issues onboard ship.

Edited by Lastdance

But my parents say Celebrity is their #1 fav line & NCL is a distant 4th behind RCCL & Princess. Not that they won't sail NCL, it just isn't up to par. (and this is is regular staterooms)

I have hesitated to sail NCL since they seem to get lukewarm reviews overall in most areas. Seems just a small step above Carnival (which I also haven't booked--more due to a number of different family members who say don't bother).

I have always found better deals on other lines so no incentive to jump!

The fact is that they did announce this policy, because of all the trays, plates of food in the hallways and spilled food around the ship.

I might have believed that line of BS from Del Rio had NCL not gone to a 24/7 $7.95 room service charge but since they did, I can't believe that short-lived policy was for any other reason than pushing the room service profit.

I might have believed that line of BS from Del Rio had NCL not gone to a 24/7 $7.95 room service charge but since they did, I can't believe that short-lived policy was for any other reason than pushing the room service profit.

You could be right about the profit that would be derived. I do think that having all those trays in the hallways could create some accidents that might increase their insurance costs. I never understood why people place those trays in the hallway, we don't have a problem leaving the trays in our cabin.

We have cruised NCL 5 times and X 3 times. We just returned from a 31 South American Odyssey NCL cruise on the aging Sun and had a fabulous time. Our last X cruise was just over a year ago (14 days on Eclipse). We leave on the Solstice in February for a 35 day cruise.

Here are my observations:

MDR food was fine on both but some basic things one would expect or hope for were missing on NCL. i.e. no shrimp cocktail, ever for 31 days. Shrimp in general was a rarity. No matter the cruise line of longer voyages food in the MDR will be a little monotonous.

Productions shows were better on NCL. Guest entertainers were a mixed bag on both lines.

Speciality Restaurant surcharges are far more reasonable on NCL ($20 - $30) vs. X $40+

Cruise staff hands down goes to the fun group we got to know on the NCL Sun.

NCL's drink prices are outrageous. They have a beverage package they call the Ultimate Beverage package which excludes way more than it includes. The name "Ultimate" is false advertising. X's drink prices aren't cheap but I usually get the classic package as a perk.

NCL's shore excursions again are exorbitant. Every cruise line gouges here but NCL has taken that to the new level of absurdity.

After this most recent NCL cruise we became Platinum. This entitles us to some discount laundry and a meal in a specialty restaurant. After our upcoming X cruise we will be Elite and look forward to those perks.

Comparing cost is a little bit harder. The approaching 35 day cruise was about $1800 per person more than I paid for the 31 day on NCL but on X I also received drink package, pre-paid gratuities, plus $800 OBC. I booked this cruise over a year ago so I have not really paid attention to the new pricing yet. Once we get home in March I will be looking at a TA in the fall.

If you like casual dress you will like NCL better. Even with the new Chic dress code on X NCL is more casual. One of the main dining rooms on the Sun allowed shorts at dinner. No one was sloppy and no one wore ball caps but is was laid back.

I have found that my wife and I are fine with most any cruise line as long as we know what to expect. I hope these observations help.

Edited by gilladj

Hi folks

because of the issues happened on our last cruise on X, I'm looking for other options

I've NCL in mind and seen good offers

I assume balcony and jun suites are comparable....

Key question: how is NCL compared to X, esp MDR and spec. food

Don't care on shows and entertainment....

thanks

Markus

As far as the 3 newest ships go, the food was good in all of the specialty venues and even the buffet was nice which was a surprise. The waterfront offers alfresco dining too. We had a deal for specialty dining ALL the nights last year. We didn't eat in the MDR at all.

The large balcony cat of cabin was great for 2 persons with lots of storage and great bathroom. Balcony was big (for minimal extra $) albeit not as private forward ship where the bridge hangs out above.

Only 2 gripes on NCL was the noise /loud music on the sun decks and the lack of decent complementary coffee.

Edited by rbird

Thanks a lot for your oppinions.

We realized X food and service is going downhill the last years,

same with NCL?

I think their service has been consistent since 2001. That is, because I think their service tanked in 2001 when they implemented Freestyle.

I think their service has been consistent since 2001. That is, because I think their service tanked in 2001 when they implemented Freestyle.

The food at the NCL specialty restaurants is pretty good, but the MDR ranges from ok to excellent. Celebrity is far more consistently very good to excellent. Also, service can be excellent on NCL, but not always. NCL is less consistent.

Yes, Celebrity is the best! We are Elite Plus and this is our "go-to" cruise line, but:

You can make your NCL cruise "Celebrity-like" by adding the UDP (ultimate dining package). Eat every evening meal in an alternative restaurant. Eat all other meals in the MDR and avoid the buffet. Go see the entertainment, it's better than Celebrity's. All this for much less $$$$. Itineraries are different, so you get something new. We rediscovered NCL last year and dropped HAL and Princess (another thread).

Enjoy!

Kel:)