Steward carts in the halls.

masterty

I'm not really sure how they do this, but the HOlland America stewards do not use a cart. They work in teams of two and carry their vacuums around along with a hand cart/basket with cleaning supplies, brushes, etc. I think they go back and forth to a supply area for towels, soap, sheets, etc. It is so nice not to have those huge carts in the halls.

I'd rather have the carts if they mean that the steward isn't leaving my cabin door open while he walks away to go into a closet. The less my cabin is open and unattended, the better.

I'd rather have the carts if they mean that the steward isn't leaving my cabin door open while he walks away to go into a closet. The less my cabin is open and unattended, the better.

On HAL,the two stewards work in tandem so someone is usually in the cabin if one has to leave for supplies.

Lets face it, to most of us the carts are a minor problem. To me the real issue is that they could be a major problem in the event of an emergency. There is no question that they definitely slow things down and all it would take is one person getting tangled up with a cart and it would block the hall for all those behind.

I would imagine there is a procedure they follow in case of emergency where the carts get moved out of the way.

Good point.

We did a recent cruise on Celebrity Eclipse and they also had carts in the hallway during the morning and evening service. Didn't bother me one bit as they also have them in hotels.

Yep

Celebrity do

P&O do

Carnival do

HAL do

And hotels do

Not sure how OP thinks rooms get serviced, by magical fairies.

Not going to let it bother me this time.

My last trip to Alaska and first Princess cruise I discovered an anomaly not experienced previously by me while traveling on other cruise lines. A lot had changed in 9 years of not cruising.

Carts in the hallways. Why? Now one could say, "how do you think your rooms get cleaned". Sure they need access to products and linens to clean. A cart might just be the best way to accomplish this. I am all for anything that makes my stewards life easier. I just do not know how the other lines I have cruised on hides them. Do others take it into the room they are cleaning? Do other lines use more people to expedite the time carts are needed in the halls? Do other lines have cart only alcoves that hide them from the passengers? I can only guess. I do know I found them horribly littered in every hallway I traveled in most every time I traveled in one.

Whatever the reason, I am not going to let the carts left in the halls bother me on my next Princess cruise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=372191&stc=1&d=1451513639

The dirty dishes with half eaten food laying in the hallways beside cabin doors bother me more than the carts. I like to take an extra towel or two off the carts and use them to sit on on our chairs on the balcony.

I would imagine there is a procedure they follow in case of emergency where the carts get moved out of the way.

In a real emergency, the time it takes for the carts to be dealt with could easily be too long. And I'm not overly convinced that in a true emergency that it would ultimately get followed anyways. If something like the crown tilt happened, even though I'm sure the wheels are locked on them, they very easily could fall over, blocking the hallway, or potentially falling on someone walking by. (On that particular day, the timing was such that I don't remember carts in the hallway when it happened.)

The carts don't bother me too much, but I do think they're out there far more often than they used to be. It's something I've noticed far more recently. I do feel there are times when I feel like I have to slide along the wall to be able to get by them.

I don't really have any adequate answers for getting rid of them though.