Will Carnival Follow RCL with a One Day Cheers package....

esdoorn

The one-day beverage package was offered for $65 per person and included unlimited beers, cocktails and select glasses of wine, as well as bottled water, juices and specialty coffees.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6732&UTM_Source=Social&UTM_Medium=Facebook&UTM_Campaign=News&UTM_Content=Royal

Thinking that Carnival will have to start giving strong consideration to revamping their cheers beverage program.

Edited by esdoorn

Even with that program its on a ship to ship basis,so its not fleetwide and will probably be offered late in the cruise if liquor sales are low.

Presently on all Royal ships you can wait until the last 3 days of a cruise to book the beverage package and Carnival hasnt matched that...I just don't think Carnival reacts to the other cruise lines moves the way others would like.

Guess time will tell

Interesting interview with Mr Donald about getting more money from cruisers.

http://skift.com/2015/12/23/heres-how-carnival-ceo-arnold-donald-plans-to-get-more-money-from-cruisers/

Edited by DaytonCruiser

http://skift.com/2015/12/23/heres-how-carnival-ceo-arnold-donald-plans-to-get-more-money-from-cruisers/

Guess the CEO didn't count on the Canadian Dollar tanking, say goodbye to most Canadian cruisers as time goes on now that there is a 40% premium on the USD. Most Canadians will go to all inclusive resorts and book in CDN dollars with Canadian carriers.

I would rather Carnival offer a couple of packages for the duration of the cruise. Maybe a beer and wine only package, another that maxes out at 10 per day, and up the current Cheers limit to 20 per day. Maybe that will make people happy.

Even though their CEO is spouting off about squeezing every dollar out of their customers, they need to be careful and not think that status quo is the way to go. Companies that don't adapt can quickly find themselves in trouble.

Considering other cruise lines are going out of their way to attract customers, this drink package issue is one they will have to deal with sooner then later.

Edited by esdoorn

Even though their CEO is spouting off about squeezing every dollar out of their customers, they need to be careful and not think that status quo is the way to go. Companies that don't adapt can quickly find themselves in trouble.

Considering other cruise lines are going out of their way to attract customers, this drink package issue is one they will have to deal with sooner then later.

Oh I agree. The one size fits all Cheers does not work in my opinion, which is why we have yet to purchase it.

I would rather Carnival offer a couple of packages for the duration of the cruise. Maybe a beer and wine only package, another that maxes out at 10 per day, and up the current Cheers limit to 20 per day. Maybe that will make people happy.

I believe that the limit is actually
15 per day
(not 20). :rolleyes:

The daily cheers program or cheers lite-program would also help address smuggling issues as less people would be inclined to find creative ways to smuggle booze on board, this would help at security check which is another benefit.

Also, the daily cheers or cheers lite program would help address the situation of husband and wife were one likes to drink and the other doesn't, so buying cheers for the lite drinker doesn't make money sense.

I'd buy the daily pack on 3 days at least on a 7 day cruise plus on port days still buy a few drinks regular each day

The concept would work out great and in Carnivals interest cause there's Lots of people who don't buy the current cheers Pkg because their other cabin mate doesn't drink so it makes it way to expensive

It is not like Royal has implemented this out to all ships for all days. I thought that Arnold Donald was being interviewed, not "spouting off".

I'd buy the daily pack on 3 days at least on a 7 day cruise plus on port days still buy a few drinks regular each day

The concept would work out great and in Carnivals interest cause there's Lots of people who don't buy the current cheers Pkg because their other cabin mate doesn't drink so it makes it way to expensive

Even on Royal they aren't allowing you to pick the days you want to do it.

This is an example of how Royal did it recently on Liberty OTS. It seems they are waiting to later in the cruise to see how well beverages are selling.

Just off the liberty.

The drink card appeared on day 6 of a 9 day cruise. $67 for 10 drinks.

Imo it's a good deal if you can split it with someone.

On day 8, there was a notice in the compass that they would have 1-day packages on day 9 (the last sea day), but when I asked about that, I was told they weren't honoring it.

Another example

On the Nov 30-Dec 10 Vision cruise the $120 for 15 drinks was offered on Day 7 or 8 of a 10 day cruise and then the $68 for 10 drinks was offered on the 2nd to last day. It was a paper card and could be shared with anyone you wanted and could be used for any beverage alcoholic or non-alcoholic up to $14. No auto gratuity was added and each drink ordered was initialed off by the bartender. Most of the mixed drinks were $10 and $12 and most beers were $5.50 and $6.00, so the card made for a good value for us light drinkers.
Edited by AdrenalineRush

This is an example of how Royal did it recently on Liberty OTS. It seems they are waiting to later in the cruise to see how well beverages are selling.

Thought so, thanks for the info.

$67 a day for 10 drinks is not a good deal. Maybe on Royal it is. Obviously.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Depends on what you drink on carnival. There are quite a few drinks that are over $8...

I was thinking in comparison to the drink package since that's what we were discussing. Carnival's Cheers is $57 a day. To me it wouldn't make sense to charge $67 a day for a daily program. I wouldn't buy it. But I don't buy Cheers either. A better solution is a cheaper weekly package and let roommates pick the one that's best for them if they are going to continue requiring all adults over 21 in the same cabin buy it. Plus in terms of this Royal idea, why wait till the cruise is damn near over to offer it.

Both Royal and Princess don't make both passengers in a cabin purchase it. Carnival can't even follow suit in that area and they put a cap on drinks, where others don't Now I would never reach that 15 drink limit anyway, but still ridiculous to put it out there. My husband overly wouldn't drink but maybe 2-3 a day so the package isn't worth it when we both need to buy it. I will drink more mixed drinks than he does, so worth it for me, but not both of us. Though I will say when we booked with NCL and he was given a free drink package he sure made use of it.

I was thinking in comparison to the drink package since that's what we were discussing. Carnival's Cheers is $57 a day. To me it wouldn't make sense to charge $67 a day for a daily program. I wouldn't buy it. But I don't buy Cheers either. A better solution is a cheaper weekly package and let roommates pick the one that's best for them if they are going to continue requiring all adults over 21 in the same cabin buy it. Plus in terms of this Royal idea, why wait till the cruise is damn near over to offer it.

If you had a 4 day cruise with 3 port days, a daily package at $67.00 would make sense to purchase for the fun day at sea.

How about Not making me buy it for port days, when I'm doing, and paying for my drinking on shore!

That's easy to say, the keep in mind Carnival prices the package knowing most people will be off the ship and not using it as much on port days. If you could only get it for sea days, the number of drinks the average purchaser got per day would go up. Therefore, they'd have to charge more.

As the saying goes, "There ain't no free lunch".

This was an interview discussing their earnings report - targeted at investors - of course it was talking about making money. The purpose was to get people to buy/ have confidence in their stock...which is the same for any earnings call for any publicly traded company.

(I'm not a stock trader...nor did i stay at a Holiday Inn express last night...but i do work for a Fortune 500 company that does these quarterly ;) )