How much weight do you gain on a cruise?

Nflor001

I have only been on one cruise and gained 4 pounds for the 7 days gone. We will be on the Allure in June and I plan on definitly watch what I eat better...I never eat 3 full meals and while on the Navigator I did. This time I plan on more fruits and salads and less deserts and mid-day snacking.

a lot of weight is water weight.

But we eat 3 meals a day and snack between.

But I dont eat like that at home. probably eat more healthier on a cruise and know that i am eating more then when we are home. but we are more active on a cruise. THe most I have gained is 3 pounds. which is lost within a day or two at home

This is a great question, I'd pack the extra pants just in case!

I overindulge when I cruise, I pack on weight very easily also. I tend to diet before cruising as well knowing i'll prob gain 10-15 pounds mostly temp water weight. I pig out on multiple entrees and drink like crazy. But I always take the stairs and try to go to the gym once or twice when im on the ship.

We always take the stairs, so that helps. And all that walking in ports, swimming, etc.

But honestly, the food isn't really THAT good that you will keep eating and eating and eating. Our last cruise, by the time we had a few days left I was so tired of the food I was so ready to go home, I hardly ate. The first thing I had once we got back to CA was real tacos and real Chinese food.

My wife likes to go for this free sit in diner. So we eat there first. Then we go check out the buffet and we are not hungry anymore. (Besides this ship have the same menu on the buffet too). That maybe how you can control your eating. Some people have no off switch to eating.

I do not exercise at the gym, or run around the track. I do, however, walk a LOT on the ship. Taking the stairs if it's only a couple flights, etc.

My last last 4 cruises had this affect on my weight:

Spirit: Gained 4 lbs. (Main reason was we spent 3 days prior to the cruise in Seattle.)

Summit: Gained 2 lbs.

Silhouette: Lost 1 lb.

Inspiration: Even.

Net gain over 4 cruises: 5 lbs.

The only reason I remember this is because I'm a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, so I tend to be very aware of the changes. :)

It just comes down to your choices. You can thoroughly enjoy yourself in all ways if you just watch your portions. The cruise I lost the pound? That was the cruise I probably drank the most alcohol on, but I also was avoiding many of the desserts. I had dessert every night for dinner and that was it.

In answer to your main question though: On average a person can expect to gain about 5-6 lbs. If your pants are somewhat snug now, you may need a larger size. (I can relate! :p ) If they're not snug, then don't worry about it.

Hopefully that helps! :)

Edited by K.T.B.

I came home the same weight as when I left and usually do. I eat pretty much what I want, though try to watch my portions. I mostly don't eat between meals but will eat dessert occasionally.

If I'm going to gain weight it's after I come home. I am more active while travelling but have come to the conclusion that I actually eat better, as in more balanced when someone else does the cooking. More apt to eat salads and vegetables and less apt to over eat. I also drink more water.

Ill be on a 12 night cruise, just wondering if I should bring bigger pants.

If you don't want to gain weight, an easy way would be to just not opt for either the pop or alcohol drinks packages. Sugar has lots of calories and alcohol even more. The cruise line will serve you free liquid - water, lemonade, iced tea, etc.

There will be plenty of variety in food, so if you want to enjoy all the options but limit calories, limit portion size.

Take stairs rather than elevator. If you're down on deck 2 and need to go up 8 or 10 flights to the main deck, you'll feel it.

Be active on the islands.

I dont eat any differently on a cruise than I do at home. If I want to eat something, I eat it. But I stop once Im no longer hungry (you DEFINITELY dont want the "clean plate syndrome" on a cruise...you'll explode), and I eat slowly. Couple that with lots of swimming, occasional trips to the gym and stairs, it really hasnt been an issue for me.

We've only been on two cruises so far, both 7 days. For the first one, I actually lost a pound or two (although that was my honeymoon cruise, so there was lots of exercise going on;) )

For the second one, I came back the exact same weight, mostly because I love fruit, hate the sensation of being overly full and probably had two glasses of wine and a cocktail total as for a alcohol is concerned (I prefer juice and water).

In addition, we tend to take the stairs and do a LOT of walking around the ship as well as in port. :)

Edited by IslandCurls

it all depends on how much of the ship's hospitality you take advantage of :cool:

It's easy to put on over a pound a day - a full breakfast, nice lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, midnight buffet.... I've seen people eat that much and more.

But I usually put on only a pound or two on a 14 night cruise. Some people have asked me how I keep my weight under control -

When I'm on board, what I eat depends on what I'm doing. If it's a sea day then it's a light breakfast, usually a small omelette, coffee, and a glass of OJ... lunch will be a half-portion of whatever I like the look of; usually something oriental such as a curry or noodles.. and then nothing until dinner, and I'll always have starter & main course. I'll only have the pudding if it's something I really like.

I'll also make a point of walking the deck for an hour, more if the ship has a good promenade deck (e.g. Arcadia, Zuiderdam, Aurora)

If it's a port day, I'll have a full breakfast - omelette, sausages, bacon, beans, black pudding.... and then I'll go ashore for 6 to 8 hours. When I'm ashore all I'll usually have are four ship's biscuits (cookies) which I've taken with me - I don't usually want to waste time sitting in a restaurant! Once I'm back on board I usually have a small sandwich, especially if I've been walking. Dinner is again a starter & main course, plus an optional pudding.

However... on some cruise lines it's very difficult to stick to this plan. Holland America usually have a Vanilla Bread-and-butter pudding available every lunch time which is almost as calorific as it is delicious.....

So... if it's your first cruise... take bigger pants, enjoy the hospitality :D

We're considering a Holland America cruise from Argentina to Chile on MS Zaandam in mid-February 2016 and I love Bread and Butter Pudding :eek: This would be on 3rd cruise and we are still learning the ropes - is Holland America a good choice and how formal is onboard life?

We took a Christmas/New Year cruise with Fred Olsen on the Balmoral (returned 8 days ago and am already fed up with the house repairs that awaited me. so another cruise seems a good idea ...). We would appreciate any tips or advice you might have.

Thanks.

Steve & Elaine