Question about Grand Turk

PurdueChefAmber

There are beaches on both sides of the pier (if you go to the right, it is more relaxed and quite, to the left is Margaritaville and beach with more music) and there is more than enough room for all! We have been there several times and never felt that it was too crowded.

Have a great cruise!!

It will be crowded, but you should still be able to find a lounge chair since some people will stay on the ship or go on excursions away from the cruise center.

With that said, I would not spend too much time in the water. The shallow water is extremely rocky with choppy waves, making it difficult to walk. At least that was the case when I visited Grand Turk on 12/18/15.

Edited by PCHENG

There are beaches on both sides of the pier (if you go to the right, it is more relaxed and quite, to the left is Margaritaville and beach with more music) and there is more than enough room for all! We have been there several times and never felt that it was too crowded.

Have a great cruise!!

It will be crowded, but you should still be able to find a lounge chair since some people will stay on the ship or go on excursions away from the cruise center.

With that said, I would not spend too much time in the water. The shallow water is extremely rocky with choppy waves, making it difficult to walk. At least that was the case when I visited Grand Turk on 12/18/15.

Thank you guys! I am bringing water shoes so I can at least go out to snorkel a bit. We were hoping to get by Jack's Shack but I am not sure if that will be possible.

You'll be fine. Remember that many do excursions, not everyone just hits up the beach. It will be crowded in front of Margaritaville. Head down to Jack's Shack!

Agree with Jack's Shack location. The water there was great for swimming, too!

Agree with Jack's Shack location. The water there was great for swimming, too!

Another vote to walk the 8 to 10 minutes it takes to get past the crowds and to Jacks Shack or another independent beach club along the way. You won't need your water shoes there, as the bottom is perfectly sandy. You also won't need your snorkel, as the bottom is perfectly sandy.

But the jerk chicken is usually good and you can specify how hot you want it. Sign up for a free shot of tequila if that is your thing on Jacks web site.

Another vote to walk the 8 to 10 minutes it takes to get past the crowds and to Jacks Shack or another independent beach club along the way. You won't need your water shoes there, as the bottom is perfectly sandy. You also won't need your snorkel, as the bottom is perfectly sandy.

But the jerk chicken is usually good and you can specify how hot you want it. Sign up for a free shot of tequila if that is your thing on Jacks web site.

Awesome! Thank you! I wanted to go there anyway. Thank you everyone!!

I agree with this! Last time we were there we had to get out of the water because we were getting hit with big chunks of rock in the waves. I mean- the kind that caused a few bruises and lacerations- it was crazy.

I agree with this! Last time we were there we had to get out of the water because we were getting hit with big chunks of rock in the waves. I mean- the kind that caused a few bruises and lacerations- it was crazy.

Need to go farther down the beach then.

Question about Grand Turk....

We are scheduled to be there with 2 other ships to equal 6400 hundred passengers. I was under the impression that it was a very small beach. Can it handle that many people?

Hi Amber! I was there a couple of months ago aboard Regal Princess and shortly after that we were joined by Sunshine so we had about 6500 passengers in port. I spent the day at Margaritaville and while it was very busy the area is more than capable of handling that many passengers. I enjoyed my time there :)

Hope that helps. Others have mentioned Jack's Shack and I have been told it's nice but I have not gone there, yet

There are large chunks of rock and concrete in the beach area right off the dock in Grand Turk. That is why you may hear recommendations for water shoes. Once you walk past that area though, the rocks thin out and the bottom becomes sandier. The further you walk down the beach, the less chance you have of stepping on a rock in the water.

Now one good (bad) storm could come along with some heavy wave action and change all that, but until then enjoy the clean sandy bottom you find further down the beach.

Edited by evandbob

The first time we visited Grand Turk we stayed at the beach by the cruise port and Margaritaville. There were four of us and we found four chairs. It was crowded, and any time one of us tried to go in the water someone would ask to take the (supposedly) vacant chair. Couple that with the cloudy water and rocky bottom and it was not our favorite beach experience. We've been back three times since then and all three have been spent at Jack's Shack. Jack's isn't cheap, but the drinks are good and the beach is much nicer. The water is clear and the bottom isn't very rocky at all. And you can play with Topher, who must be the most photographed dog in the Caribbean.:p

If you are looking for a quiet beach with beautiful soft sand may I recommend Governor's Beach. Check it out on Trip Advisor. Governor's Beach is about a 15 minute walk from the dock. Go straight out the gate and turn left. Walk along the road and you will see signs directing you to the beach. My wife and I along with another couple were the only ones on the beach. A couple of local amicable fellows maintain the area. The draw back is that there are no lounges or refreshments available. Showers and toilet facilities are available