Paperwork for a grandchild

Calker

I posted the below inside another thread but thought I should post here for additional coverage:

We suddenly became guardians to our two yr old granddaughter, we are leaving on an NCL cruise in just a few weeks.

I have a birth certificate, medical release, court order placing her with us, and a court order allowing her to leave the country during the cruise days.

NCL phone service thinks this will be adequate, can anyone think of anything else we may need. Have been unable to get through to a TSA service rep yet to see what they say.

I posted the below inside another thread but thought I should post here for additional coverage:

We suddenly became guardians to our two yr old granddaughter, we are leaving on an NCL cruise in just a few weeks.

I have a birth certificate, medical release, court order placing her with us, and a court order allowing her to leave the country during the cruise days.

NCL phone service thinks this will be adequate, can anyone think of anything else we may need. Have been unable to get through to a TSA service rep yet to see what they say.

If you have legal guardianship (i.e. a court order) then that is all you need.

According to http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/under-16.html every child traveling overseas regardless of age needs a passport.

They are NOT travelling overseas.... it is a closed loop cruise and they will only be "in transit" when visiting ports of call.

Let's not let this thread go down the road of a passport being necessary. The OP has all the proper documentation he needs for this cruise.

This may sound silly and isn't necessary, but I think I would take pictures of myself with the child while I was holding the court documents. Just for any issues with facial verification of a young child in my custody.

I don't know your itinerary but Mexico is very strict about kids and grandparents.. I know you are now officially the parents, but it pays to be carful in Mexico if you are stopping there.

I would only provide paper work if they ask for it. I travelled with my niece no one asked for any paperwork or permission to take her with us. More likely to confuse matters if you volunteer information at checkout, obviously provide information if asked.

I have brought friends of my daughter with us and they have never asked for the info. Once I offered it to them, I had so much paperwork, they quickly gave it back to me and said I was all set!!

I forgot to add, God bless!! More and more of my friends are becoming guardians to grandchildren, not something that they had planned on, just sometimes things happen. I hope you have a great cruise!!!

Unless your question is about your flight you don't want to talk to TSA, CBP will be the agency clearing you when you return.

It sounds like you have all the bases covered.

More importantly, they are leaving in a few weeks, which is way too soon to mail in the birth certificate for a passport. At this point traveling on a birth certificate is the safest way to go.

This may sound silly and isn't necessary, but I think I would take pictures of myself with the child while I was holding the court documents. Just for any issues with facial verification of a young child in my custody.

I don't know your itinerary but Mexico is very strict about kids and grandparents.. I know you are now officially the parents, but it pays to be carful in Mexico if you are stopping there.

It's not silly. Take pictures!!

pictures are always great but from a cbp standpoint would do you no good. however it does sound like you have all your bases covered in mexico if you were to have issues then you would just contact the port agent or the local us embassy. but unless you miss the boat should have no issues.

Thanks for all the info.

No there isn't enough time for a passport. We will get one befor our next trip!

You can get a passport in one day if you go to a regional office and provide proof you are traveling out of country within 2 weeks, you will need to make an appointment though.

Just a bit of add on here when NCL takes your photo at check-in all under age children are linked to their guardians - so if she decides to get off the ship either by herself or with another person it will be flagged to security and they will not let her off.

Congratulations! Enjoy the ride. The wife and I have been raising 2 of our grandsons for years and it is a blessing indeed. While some others only see their grandchildren once to a few times a year you get to see yours every single day! As far as what you need we have sailed with ours and all that was needed was their birth certificates. Have a great cruise. We leave 1/10/16 with ours.