infinity?

njaloha

I'm considering the Dutch Antilles cruise 10/27/16 on infinity. Used to silly sized ship. Any advice or opinions out there. Should I or shouldn't I?

We have done four cruises on Infinity since December 2011 and love the ship.

The ship carries about 2300 persons, which is a nice size ship.

Not sure if Alejandro is still the cruise director, he was nice.

Here are my reviews:

South America

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=94024

British Isles

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

Transatlantic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221136

We looked at this cruise too. It looks a really nice itinerary. We cruise on both M and S class. Our choice is determined by the itinerary. On the M class we miss the dining variety (Q'sine and either a 'liners' restaurant or a Tuscan Grill dependent on refit schedule). We do, however, like the more intimate experience of the smaller ship and as suite guests think Michael's club is better.

In terms of rooms we do find some of them very different depending on M or S class. Some we think are better on each!

In recent years we swap between the two classes quite happily...we enjoy the different ambiance of each. If you check reviews often people will negatively rate M class saying the ships are older, less stylish....than their previous S class experiences.

So, in summary, don't cruise M class expecting S class, do your homework on your room choice and see this cruise as adding variety....I am sure in the not too distant future we will be looking at this cruise too without hesitation!

I'm considering the Dutch Antilles cruise 10/27/16 on infinity. Used to silly sized ship. Any advice or opinions out there. Should I or shouldn't I?

We seem to do most of our Celebrity cruising on the infinity and millennium or the equinox and the eclipse. Honestly, we're somewhat ambivalent..you get great service on both. On the M-class ships, we try to get one of the rear A1's on deck 11. On S-class ships we book 1A's with larger balconies. Our next Celebrity cruise is on the Eclipse and then B2B on the Millenium.

All of the ships are large enough :) I'd pick Celebrity cruises based on where they go...not on the ship.

Edited by ghstudio

We seem to do most of our Celebrity cruising on the infinity and millennium or the equinox and the eclipse. Honestly, we're somewhat ambivalent..you get great service on both. On the M-class ships, we try to get one of the rear A1's on deck 11. On S-class ships we book 1A's with larger balconies. Our next Celebrity cruise is on the Eclipse and then B2B on the Millenium.

All of the ships are large enough :) I'd pick Celebrity cruises based on where they go...not on the ship.

You're the one I'm looking for!! :D We've been on Infinity and loved it and now we're on Eclipse in March. My question: we're flying into FLL day before and I have a car service bringing us to Port of Miami. Now I need transportation from Miami to FLL for a 12:10 flight. I plan to carry my own bags off the ship around 7:30 a.m. to avoid long delays through customs and someone told me I could book a shuttle with Celebrity for $30 pp....but I can't find any information that doesn't include a shore excursion and flights leaving later in the day. Is there an early shuttle I can book? Can I book it ahead of time? Should I bite the bullet and hire the car ($120) for a 30 minute ride to pick me up at 9 a.m.? Or will there be taxis lined up for miles?

You're the one I'm looking for!! :D We've been on Infinity and loved it and now we're on Eclipse in March. My question: we're flying into FLL day before and I have a car service bringing us to Port of Miami. Now I need transportation from Miami to FLL for a 12:10 flight. I plan to carry my own bags off the ship around 7:30 a.m. to avoid long delays through customs and someone told me I could book a shuttle with Celebrity for $30 pp....but I can't find any information that doesn't include a shore excursion and flights leaving later in the day. Is there an early shuttle I can book? Can I book it ahead of time? Should I bite the bullet and hire the car ($120) for a 30 minute ride to pick me up at 9 a.m.? Or will there be taxis lined up for miles?

Call celebrity or your ta to set up a celebrity shuttle...or take a taxi. I never rely on celebrity shuttle which sits and waits for passengers....and do not rent your own car in Miami....you'll waste all kinds of time. Miami can have frustrating long lines at immigration.

I would just hire a taxi...or maybe take a non celebrity shared van..check the Internet for companies. Probably cheaper and they use smaller vans so you won't just sit there. If you ask my DW, we would take a taxi..period:)

A few years ago Cruise Critic Florida departures board sent me to SAS transport, a transfer service from Port of Miami to FLL. Worked out great, about $15 per person each way. Check them out and check out departures board. Found a great deal for a Miami hotel there. Super helpful people there!

Depending on how well you can handle your luggage, you might also consider the Tri Rail. It goes from airport to airport in about 40 minutes at a cost of around $5.

Edited by Kwenz

A few years ago Cruise Critic Florida departures board sent me to SAS transport, a transfer service from Port of Miami to FLL. Worked out great, about $15 per person each way. Check them out and check out departures board. Found a great deal for a Miami hotel there. Super helpful people there!

Thanks checking them out too!

Depending on how well you can handle your luggage, you might also consider the Tri Rail. It goes from airport to airport in about 40 minutes at a cost of around $5.

Interesting....I will look into it....I have difficulty walking long distances so key will be how far a walk tri-rail is from the ship.

:D

Looked up Tri Rail....so how long ago was it that you used them? :D Reason I ask is fare is $42 pp and goes from Opa Locka to FLL airport!! But thanks for the info, it was worth looking at, just not practical for me. :)

Checked them out, fare is still $15 pp but they won't do phone reservations so I have to wait for a return quote. Still for the round trip $60 per couple isn't bad. Other company I called is $299 round trip which comes to about $75 pp.

We have never used Tri Rail, but used a hotel close to the FLL station.

Tri Rail (looked at the schedule some years ago) seem to have trains about once an hour. To me, getting to the station, then from the other station, waiting for the train, etc. would be a hassle. You still have to take a taxi to and from the rail.

Better to take transport or taxi. DW and I took a taxi once for about $80, tip included.

We have never used Tri Rail, but used a hotel close to the FLL station.

Tri Rail (looked at the schedule some years ago) seem to have trains about once an hour. To me, getting to the station, then from the other station, waiting for the train, etc. would be a hassle. You still have to take a taxi to and from the rail.

Better to take transport or taxi. DW and I took a taxi once for about $80, tip included.

Yeah...that's what I'm thinking Papa....was that a taxi for $80 total for both of you? Daughter and SIL are flying Allegiant from Asheville to FLL the day after us. We're taking SW from LI to FLL and meeting friends for dinner at the Hilton FLL Marina and then going back to FLL at 11 the next morning to meet their flight and take a car to the dock. Port Miami is the same as Dodge Island, right? Cause that would really mess me up!!!! Never been to Miami, except to fly to Costa Rica...It's the return that's causing me to lose sleep because I booked only non-stop available from FLL to LI and it's at 12:10....I thought it would be enough time, but now I'm not so sure. Daughter doesn't leave till 3:45 p.m. and said she doesn't mind waiting at the airport as long as she can plug in! I just hope I get off the ship in time to make it to the airport by 10 a.m. IYEO am I cutting it too close?

Hydrokitty: We've used GoShuttle for private transportation several times now, and have been very pleased. While they offer shared van service, we've used their private transport option. Just "google" them for more information.

We've done six cruises on the Infinity, and like the ship. But I feel that there is no "perfect" cruise ship. Both the M-class and S-class ships have their pluses and minuses. If you like the itinerary then book it!

Yeah...that's what I'm thinking Papa....was that a taxi for $80 total for both of you? Daughter and SIL are flying Allegiant from Asheville to FLL the day after us. We're taking SW from LI to FLL and meeting friends for dinner at the Hilton FLL Marina and then going back to FLL at 11 the next morning to meet their flight and take a car to the dock. Port Miami is the same as Dodge Island, right? Cause that would really mess me up!!!! Never been to Miami, except to fly to Costa Rica...It's the return that's causing me to lose sleep because I booked only non-stop available from FLL to LI and it's at 12:10....I thought it would be enough time, but now I'm not so sure. Daughter doesn't leave till 3:45 p.m. and said she doesn't mind waiting at the airport as long as she can plug in! I just hope I get off the ship in time to make it to the airport by 10 a.m. IYEO am I cutting it too close?

Yes, $80 for both of us. I negotiated the price before we got in the taxi.

However, it seems that you can use other private transport and save a little. The taxi is convenient.

We looked at this cruise too. It looks a really nice itinerary. We cruise on both M and S class. Our choice is determined by the itinerary. On the M class we miss the dining variety (Q'sine and either a 'liners' restaurant or a Tuscan Grill dependent on refit schedule). We do, however, like the more intimate experience of the smaller ship and as suite guests think Michael's club is better.

In terms of rooms we do find some of them very different depending on M or S class. Some we think are better on each!

In recent years we swap between the two classes quite happily...we enjoy the different ambiance of each. If you check reviews often people will negatively rate M class saying the ships are older, less stylish....than their previous S class experiences.

So, in summary, don't cruise M class expecting S class, do your homework on your room choice and see this cruise as adding variety....I am sure in the not too distant future we will be looking at this cruise too without hesitation!

Thank you. This is great advice. We cruise aqua and dine in blu.

Thank you. Helpful to know that itinerary based decision is safe because celebrity ships are all good

We've been on two M sized ships and one S and liked all of them. In many ways, prefer the M size ships, actually, but plan sailings on each size for the future. Infinity is fine.

- Joel

Relief to hear such positive feedback

Thank you. Helpful to know that itinerary based decision is safe because celebrity ships are all good

I've only been on celebrity once and that was the Infinity through Panama Canal....Loved it. That's an M class and it had Q'sine...we didn't use it because we thought the MDR was fabulous and we met a couple from Canada that we really enjoyed eating with . What I liked most was the second night at dinner we pushed our tables for 2 together and thereafter the table was set as a 4 top every night! That's attention to detail IMHO.

This time we're on Eclipse, which is an S class, right? We've booked "sunset veranda" cabins on the 9th deck (last time we had balcony, concierge level on deck 8). Does anyone know if the partition between two cabins can be removed temporarily? We're 2 couples in adjoining rooms and we'd love adjoining balconies.

Contacted SAS twice...they don't take reservations by telephone and they don't answer their e-mail!!! Too bad because I was ready to book them but I haven't heard from them.

I've only been on celebrity once and that was the Infinity through Panama Canal....Loved it. That's an M class and it had Q'sine...we didn't use it because we thought the MDR was fabulous and we met a couple from Canada that we really enjoyed eating with . What I liked most was the second night at dinner we pushed our tables for 2 together and thereafter the table was set as a 4 top every night! That's attention to detail IMHO.

This time we're on Eclipse, which is an S class, right? We've booked "sunset veranda" cabins on the 9th deck (last time we had balcony, concierge level on deck 8). Does anyone know if the partition between two cabins can be removed temporarily? We're 2 couples in adjoining rooms and we'd love adjoining balconies.

Yes, Hy, the Eclipse is S class. And whenever we've been on the Silhouette, we've noticed that the balconies have "doors" in the partition that open and lock allowing access between cabins via balcony. :D