Interesting Observation About this Board??

sail7seas

In light of the on-going thread discussing people posting on other forums besides this one, I have started to pay attention to the bottom of the HAL Board front page that shows how many registered users and how many guests are on the Board at any given time.

I have not looked at those numbers for quite a while but I am sure that before the board was reset last summer and the numbers of people on the Board were listed at the top of the thread listing, if there were 60 - 70 at a time it was a reasonably high number.

NOW.....each time I have looked there have been over a hundred.

I guess my point is even though there is a 'new comer' board attracting some HAL posters, there have to be many new ones attracted here. The number here really does seem to have grown.

Something for everyone. And everyone can go to every Board if they wish. Seems to be plenty of users/cruisers to go around.

This web site has been around for a while. I have learned quite a bit from the people who have taken the time to contribute. Typically, the people who post here are often quite experienced and provide a point of view that others have come to respect. Many of the regulars here have established credibility with regards to providing the lesser experienced cruisers with some very good information. Afterall, isn't that what a board like this is all about? People sharing their experiences.

Yes, there are other boards out there but I find that it will take them a while to establish the regular contributions of people that match the experience level that I find here. I am quite happy to continue to draw my information from this site. I don't see a need to change.

Just one poster's point of view....

I wonder how well the numbers actually reflect active users. Often I have problems and can't get back to the page to log off, so my name shows as current. Also sometimes I get so frustrated with the boards that I just go to another website without even trying to log off. At that point it's just "get me out of here before I destroy my new computer"

I'm not sure but I don't think remaining logged into this site would leave you into the 'count' of who is currently here. I think it registers who has this page open.

Maybe someone who knows more about this than I can tell us.

With all the recent board problems, I find I'm checking in fewer and fewer times. I used to be able to just stay logged in--now I must log in each time and it will not longer remember my password. (when you can get on.) I miss keeping up with everyone and all the info. I have enjoyed the past several months and all the things I've learned. It's been a joy.

I miss not being able to get onto the board at certain times though today has been good.

Fortunately I have been staying logged on so haven't had the frustration that cruznon has been experiencing.

I enjoy this board (when it is working) and feel it is "home". I have been on others but they are not the same.

Jennie

Does staying logged on when not actually on the page effect other people being able to access the page?

I don't have a clue about the mechanics of how all of this works so it never occured to me that by my not logging out each time I leave the page someone else may not be able to get in???? Is that the case?

No, just leaving the site without logging out will not interfere with anyone else coming on. The system knows you're not there. Next time you go away without logging out then return later, be sure to notice the box at the upper right of the main thread listing page. It will show the time you were last here.

Does staying logged on when not actually on the page effect other people being able to access the page?

I don't know if staying logged on will prevent others from getting on, but I do know that CC doesn't log you out for inactivity ... and that's probably not a good thing.

I do a lot of my web surfing at work, and unfortunately I sometimes get called away with other pressing matters and could leave my computer screen for an hour or more. In such cases, most websites will just log me out for inactivity, but CC does not. Surprising. That might be the solution to the board problems. Log inactive users off after so many minutes.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No, just leaving the site without logging out will not interfere with anyone else coming on. The system knows you're not there. Next time you go away without logging out then return later, be sure to notice the box at the upper right of the main thread listing page. It will show the time you were last here.

Thanks, Jim.

I come and go so many times throughout the day that I rarely log out.

If I thought it was interfering with someone else, I would be sure to remember to log out but as long as I'm not creating difficulty, I suppose I don't need to?

If Kryos' theory is the case, I hope Laura or Walt would please tell us to log out when we leave.

Thank you.

I've been logged out for inactivity!

I've logged on, then gotten busy with other things ... then when I came back here to post, even though the page was still open on my computer, I've had to log back in again.

I think there must be a certain time period of inactivity, then you're automatically logged out.

I do know that CC doesn't log you out for inactivity

au contraire. I've been logged out when I was reading a looooooonnnnngggggg thread. Example was Host Doug's long thread about his recent cruise. I was shocked to get back to p.1 and find I had last visited at the time I was reading!

I've always wondered how that section on Who Is Online works.

My computer is not set up for me to need to log on manually, so I come and go frequently during the day. And I know I frequently have the screen up when I go off for a few hours. Does it continue to list me online until I have closed the browser window or moved on to another site? Or does it time out?

Sometimes Lane and I are both sitting at our computers at the same time, using the same User Name. Does it show our name twice?

I believe we have discussed this here on the boards before, but I think it would be good to know if we are indeed "hogging" band width or tying up cc's capacity by not closing the window or by not logging off.

Laura, Walt, etc.: If there is anything we as users can do to help alleviate the problems, please tell us.

susana.

This web site has been around for a while. I have learned quite a bit from the people who have taken the time to contribute. Typically, the people who post here are often quite experienced and provide a point of view that others have come to respect. Many of the regulars here have established credibility with regards to providing the lesser experienced cruisers with some very good information. Afterall, isn't that what a board like this is all about? People sharing their experiences.

Yes, there are other boards out there but I find that it will take them a while to establish the regular contributions of people that match the experience level that I find here. I am quite happy to continue to draw my information from this site. I don't see a need to change.

Just one poster's point of view....

As a relative newbie to chat boards and cruising, I have found this board to helpful and the folks on the HAL board in particular to be exceptionally generous with their time and sharing of information. For the first few months I only read the CC NCL board because that was the CL I took my first cruise on. As a comparison, the HAL folks are positively civilized--no yelling, snotty remarks, etc. and great information to boot!

Thanks!

Ginnie

Archived