Emerald or Golden

GUT2407

I'm with you with regard to Tassie GUT. The most beautiful place on the planet Imo. DH and & are in the process of investigating property down there with a view to retiring. Bring it on I say! :)

And if you can't decide between the Emerald or the Golden ... there's always the Spirit. :rolleyes: :D

The Golden having everything in AUD, no daily gratuities and extra charge on drinks etc might be a plus for you?

Thanks but Emerald should be the same when she's here for the season, according to Princess.

I'm with you with regard to Tassie GUT. The most beautiful place on the planet Imo. DH and & are in the process of investigating property down there with a view to retiring. Bring it on I say! :)

And if you can't decide between the Emerald or the Golden ... there's always the Spirit. :rolleyes: :D

We nearly moved there in the 80s, just no work.

And first time I got Mrs Gut on a ship it was Spirit (and that's actually the other option a road trip down the left coast).

No, no GUT ... do the East Coast ... crayfish, oysters, scallops, prawns, sunshine, beautiful blue sea views and easy peasy driving.

The West Coast is bad juju, wilderness, drop-bears, giant echidnas, more wilderness, man-eating Tasmanian devils, humungous fully loaded log trucks hooning out of the shadows right at ya on those very narrow and windy roads, even more bloomin' wilderness, oh and those dreaded Tassie Tigers jumping out of the bush right in front of you!!!!!. Trust me, the drive up the east coast is far easier and much more benign than the horrors of the west of Tassie. Errrrr, ever been to Queenstown? No? Well I rest my case! The horror drive to end them all! :eek:

LOL :D But what fun!

No, no GUT ... do the East Coast ... crayfish, oysters, scallops, prawns, sunshine, beautiful blue sea views and easy peasy driving.

The West Coast is bad juju, wilderness, drop-bears, giant echidnas, more wilderness, man-eating Tasmanian devils, humungous fully loaded log trucks hooning out of the shadows right at ya on those very narrow and windy roads, even more bloomin' wilderness, oh and those dreaded Tassie Tigers jumping out of the bush right in front of you!!!!!. Trust me, the drive up the east coast is far easier and much more benign than the horrors of the west of Tassie. Errrrr, ever been to Queenstown? No? Well I rest my case! The horror drive to end them all! :eek:

LOL :D But what fun!

Done the Right Coast a few times, love drop bears, so left coast looking good, pity cruises don't stop there

Thanks Mike.

That may be the tipping factor, just really looking for any other differences.

The Golden Princess is based in Melbourne, and you lose at least 2 days sailing to Tasmania. I've actually looked at this cruise, and for my 60th Birthday, will probably be in the Handicapped Accessible Penthouse Suite on the Emerald Princess, it's 8 days from Sydney based on current itineraries available. Port Arthur is the only tender port I know of in Tasmania, that is something I must consider with my Rollator and travelling alone.

There is, for me, a financial consideration, as the Penthouse Suite on the Emerald and the 2 extra days from Sydney, are more expensive than the Window Suite on the Golden, sailing from Melbourne. I would be able to get the All-Inclusive-Beverage-Package on the Emerald, which I can't, on current requirements of an 8 day or longer sailing, get on the Golden.

HTH.

love tassie i would not mind the tassie trip that either goes to adelaide after tassie or it goes to phillip island , both go fully around tassie thats the one i want to do not the one that goes up and back the east coast

We have been on both and would take the Golden over the Emerald on any cruise. We could tell the difference in having the extra 400+ passengers on board, everywhere we were on the ship.

I also like Skywalkers being in the very back and no jogging track or people on top walking around. The reason is we enjoy going up there sometimes during the day when it's quiet and depending on the activity going on above it, it may or may not be as quiet. Not the end of the world by any means, however you won't hear this on the Golden.

The Golden has the covered pool which is nice if the weather turns bad. It gives another place for people to sit inside. The Emerald, being a warmer weather ship, does not have this feature. It has the two large pools and a big open top deck. Weather turns bad, and everyone is inside the ship, trying to find a place to spend time, including the 400+ extra people that are not on the Golden. We would sit around the covered pool on rainy & cool days in Alaska as it was tolerable.

That's why we would take the Golden over the Emerald ourselves, however the above is not a concern of others, and understand that too.

We have been on both and would take the Golden over the Emerald on any cruise. We could tell the difference in having the extra 400+ passengers on board, everywhere we were on the ship.

I also like Skywalkers being in the very back and no jogging track or people on top walking around. The reason is we enjoy going up there sometimes during the day when it's quiet and depending on the activity going on above it, it may or may not be as quiet. Not the end of the world by any means, however you won't hear this on the Golden.

The Golden has the covered pool which is nice if the weather turns bad. It gives another place for people to sit inside. The Emerald, being a warmer weather ship, does not have this feature. It has the two large pools and a big open top deck. Weather turns bad, and everyone is inside the ship, trying to find a place to spend time, including the 400+ extra people that are not on the Golden. We would sit around the covered pool on rainy & cool days in Alaska as it was tolerable.

That's why we would take the Golden over the Emerald ourselves, however the above is not a concern of others, and understand that too.

The Emerald does in fact have a covered pool. We did Europe on that ship.