Excited First Timers

ma2016

Hi

Me and my fiance (although he will be my husband when we're actually cruising) have just booked our first cruise for our honeymoon on Royal Carribbean Brilliance Of The Seas Med Cruise at the end of August, few days after we get married.

Decide to ignore all the people who told us we are too young to cruise (we're 27 and 31) as we really wanted to experience it!

Super excited but also a wee bit nervous having never had much boat experience before (aside from the Belfast-Liverpool boat on holiday when I was a kid & a dodgy half day trip in Portugal when the sailor kept letting other passengers steer the boat).

Have spend several hours trawling this site over the last few days, lots of very helpful advice however few questions:

-Is the tap water safe to drink onboard?

-What time is embarkation/sailing time likely to be on first day? (Our flight times likely to be very early in morning from Dublin - Barcelona - but I am a real stickler for being on time)

-Best remedies for sea sickness (other than trying not to think about it!)

Many Thanks

Mags (hailing from Ireland!)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You are not too young to cruise.

You should ask about embarkation on the RCI board at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

No matter where we are cruising from, we prefer to get to the embarkation at least 1 day early -- just in case there are problems with the flights -- and we have had them.

Talk to your family doctor about what you should take for sea sickness. He knows you better than we do and can prescribe what should work for you.

The tap water on the ships is safe to drink -- it is better than what we get at home.

You may also be interested in joining your Roll Call to see what others are doing. Just scroll down until you find the date of your cruise at this link and click on it to open it up:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=257

Our kids started between 5-10 & it is still one of their 2 fav vacations at 15-20 (Disney is still up there too!!)

We started in our late 30s & FELL IN LOVE.

Caribbean cruises tend to have a varied demographic--but I imagine the Med gets a similar demographic from Europe.

We like to get to the port EARLY (10AM usually)--I figure I can sit around the hotel impatiently or wait in line, really what is the differnce?:D

We have gotten on anywhere between 11AM-1PM most cruises this way.

Seasickness--I used the patch the first few trips. Worked but left me with dry mouth & I touched my eye after changing my patch on one trip. Had vertigo so bad from that I had to stay in cabin all day:( So no more pattches. Bonine is a good over the counter non-drowsy formula. I prefer non-medical choices now--sea bands (accupuncture/pressure points bracelets); green apples, crackers, soda water, fresh air. But it is a rarity that I have to resort to these things

Have a great time!

I had my first cruise when I was 53 and I'll do probably my 3rd or last cruise in March the Panama Canal. I so wish I'd of discovered this life in my 20's or early 30's and would have gone more. I was having to much fun to think about being sea sick.

Edited by GoneJohnson

Hi

Me and my fiance (although he will be my husband when we're actually cruising) have just booked our first cruise for our honeymoon on Royal Carribbean Brilliance Of The Seas Med Cruise at the end of August, few days after we get married.

Decide to ignore all the people who told us we are too young to cruise (we're 27 and 31) as we really wanted to experience it!

Super excited but also a wee bit nervous having never had much boat experience before (aside from the Belfast-Liverpool boat on holiday when I was a kid & a dodgy half day trip in Portugal when the sailor kept letting other passengers steer the boat).

Have spend several hours trawling this site over the last few days, lots of very helpful advice however few questions:

-Is the tap water safe to drink onboard?

-What time is embarkation/sailing time likely to be on first day? (Our flight times likely to be very early in morning from Dublin - Barcelona - but I am a real stickler for being on time)

-Best remedies for sea sickness (other than trying not to think about it!)

Many Thanks

Mags (hailing from Ireland!)

If you are too young to cruise, then how do you explain all the kids that cruise with their parents?

There are many different motion sickness remedies. I prefer ginger because:

1) It was the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

2) It is not a drug.

3) It works even after you start to feel nauseous.

530263_xlarge.jpg

RCI ships are perfect for the younger cruiser...there's plenty to occupy all ages.

You may be cutting it a bit fine flying in on the same day, even though it's a short flight...I'd think about an afternoon flight the day before, and a hotel near the docks. Your ship won't leave before 4 or 5pm, but it's good to be on board and unpacked before you sail.

Ask your health centre about seasickness and your health. The usual ones are Stugeron or Kwells, or the shop's own brand. A cruise ship rides much better than the Liverpool ferries! ;)

The water is made on board, or collected from places with a pure source (such as Ireland). It's very good- not hard or too soft, and the chlorine doesn't taste if you place it in the fridge for an hour for it to drop. It cannot run cold, though, so it's no use keeping the tap running...:rolleyes:

Enjoy every minute. :cool:

Hey mags were doing the same for our honeymoon in June. Got married in November. We'll both be 28 when cruising. Can't wait. We're flying into Barcelona on departure day too (going on Harmony of the seas though) think the flight from Dublin is at 6am or something so plenty of time. We're from Westmeath