Hotel in San Pedro vs Long Beach

rbslos18

We will be arriving two days prior to an Hawaiian cruise out of San Pedro. Our best flight option is to LAX. We would like to do some sightseeing in the San Pedro/Long beach area.

What are some sights aside from the aquarium in Long Beach to see? Would we be better staying at a hotel in San Pedro or in Long beach pre-cruise.

We will be arriving two days prior to an Hawaiian cruise out of San Pedro. Our best flight option is to LAX. We would like to do some sightseeing in the San Pedro/Long beach area.

What are some sights aside from the aquarium in Long Beach to see? Would we be better staying at a hotel in San Pedro or in Long beach pre-cruise.

San Pedro is a nice tourist area with plenty of hotels and restaurants. Hotels are close to the cruise pier as well.

Edited by Kamloops50

I take it you are not interested in leaving the harbor area and sightseeing up in Los Angeles--just keeping it simple and staying in the port area, correct?

The two downtown areas are on opposite sides of the very large Los Angeles Harbor--about 6-8 miles apart.

The major tourist sites in Long Beach are the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/shark_lagoon_nights/?gclid=CO7jmqnakMoCFc1ffgodL9QPwg

http://www.queenmary.com/

San Pedro has the USS Iowa, the LA Maritime Museum and the Cabrillo Aquarium (a smaller, more educationally oriented aquarium:

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/?gclid=CKrB36zZkMoCFQdafgodtxIOIQ

http://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/

http://www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org/

San Pedro is a smaller, more compact town. Long Beach is a much bigger city in and of itself and has a larger, more developed downtown area. San Pedro has, for all intent and purpose, only two nice hotels--the Crowne Plaza--which is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro and close walking distance to most San Pedro attractions, even the cruise terminal...and the Doubletree--which is down the channel a bit from Downtown, near the yacht harbor.

Long Beach has several nice hotels. I usually give an "A" list and a "B" list...The A list--the nicest and best located hotels are the Hyatt Regency, the Hyatt at the Pike, the Renaissance and the Westin, the B list is the Maya Doubletree, the Residence Inn Downtown and the Hilton. Part of the attraction for the Maya, the Residence and the Queen Mary (which I leave off my B list because, though a curiosity, I don't consider it to be a very good hotel) are that they are on the same side of the channel as the Carnival terminal, hence, convenient for Carnival passengers, but not as convenient for restaurants, shopping or the Aquarium--though they do have decent, free access using the Passport Shuttle. If you are visiting just to enjoy Long Beach, then cruise out of San Pedro, the A list would be preferable...All of those hotels are, IMHO, a little nicer and more up-to-date than the hotels in San Pedro.

Here is the biggest difference, for most people, between the two locations aside from convenience to the respective piers: San Pedro is an older town, more in need of a little refurbishment, while Long Beach has spent a great deal of money trying to make its Downtown area attractive to tourists, conventions, etc. Long Beach supplies a free downtown area shuttle called the "Passport", which makes a constant loop between the Queen Mary/Carnival, the Maya Doubletree, the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Shoreline Village tourist shopping complex, Pine Street/Renaissance and the old downtown shopping area (Walmart, etc.). San Pedro has a number of good, local, one-of-a-kind restaurants. Long Beach has a much larger number of restaurants right in that A List hotel area...but a large percentage of them are national chains (Outback, CPK, Bubba Gump, PF Chang, Chili's, Famous Dave's BBQ, Islands)...though they also have some local and local chain eateries as well. Some folks prefer the familiar, others are more adventurous.

For those spending just one night prior to a cruise, my typical advice is to stay near the pier from which you are departing. Convenience trumps everything. With two nights, you have a choice. You will pay for one extra cab ride from Long Beach to San Pedro the morning of your cruise...but that is no big deal. A lot depends on what you want to do with your time there. It's probably a little easier to fill your time in Long Beach as the Aquarium there takes a bit more time and there is a lot more in the way of attractive shopping and walking...but, it's really all up to you...

I am one of those who do not care for San Pedro. Sorry for those who like it.

Out of the two I would select Long Beach.

In addition to the Aquarium there is the Queen Mary to tour and we enjoy walking around this area including the boardwalk.

We like the Hyatt Hotel.

I just have an uneasy feeling when it comes to San Pedro.

Now, consider another location such as Marina del Ray.

Keith

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza pre-cruise last year in San Pedro and the hotel is very comfortable. There really isn't a lot to see in San Pedro. That being said, we will be staying in San Pedro again this year pre-cruise mainly for ease and convenience. We are from California so we are usually just looking for a comfortable less expensive option to stay. We used Priceline again this year and instead of getting the Crowne Plaza we ended up with the Best Western. The area isn't as nice as the Crowne Plaza but San Pedro is pretty small anyway and the reviews say the rooms are very large and beds are comfortable. It has been newly renovated so everything is clean and new. I will be able to speak more to it after April so fingers crossed it will be an okay gamble. Good luck choosing!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have an opinion between Double Tree San Pedro or Crowne Plaza San Pedro? I travel a lot for work and I should have enough points to stay at either location for free.

We are probably renting a car (one way) from the airport we end up getting tickets to, but we will return it the night before the cruise. I believe both hotels have shuttles, but since we are staying on points, I don't know how much the shuttles will cost.

Since you are coming in two days early I'd stay in Downtown Long Beach, there is so much more to it.

I don't know anyone who thinks of San Pedro as a "tourist area". If it were not for the cruise port I doubt anyone would ever spend a night in the city.

Does anyone have an opinion between Double Tree San Pedro or Crowne Plaza San Pedro? I travel a lot for work and I should have enough points to stay at either location for free.

We are probably renting a car (one way) from the airport we end up getting tickets to, but we will return it the night before the cruise. I believe both hotels have shuttles, but since we are staying on points, I don't know how much the shuttles will cost.

If you have to stay in San Pedro the DoubleTree is a nicer location I think.

Both are nice hotels...the main difference is the location/setting...

The Doubletree is in the more "attractive" setting...It is located on a nice yacht harbor--pleasant views and surroundings. The trade-off is that, aside from the 22nd Street Landing, there aren't many restaurants or shops in close walking distance.

The Crowne Plaza is the more convenient location--in the heart of "Downtown" San Pedro--a large selection of restaurants within a couple of blocks. It is also only about four blocks walk (if you wanted to walk it) to the Cruise terminals. It is much more convenient for picking up/dropping off rental cars as the only two rental car locations in San Pedro (Enterprise and Hertz) are both at the Crowne Plaza.

Both hotels have shuttle to the pier...I believe the Doubletree's shuttles are free...Crowne Plaza has gone back and forth with a small fee (I'd check with the hotel for the current status)...but, as I've mentioned, with rolling luggage, you could even walk to the pier from the CP (I've done it)...

Both are nice hotels...the main difference is the location/setting...

The Doubletree is in the more "attractive" setting...It is located on a nice yacht harbor--pleasant views and surroundings. The trade-off is that, aside from the 22nd Street Landing, there aren't many restaurants or shops in close walking distance.

The Crowne Plaza is the more convenient location--in the heart of "Downtown" San Pedro--a large selection of restaurants within a couple of blocks. It is also only about four blocks walk (if you wanted to walk it) to the Cruise terminals. It is much more convenient for picking up/dropping off rental cars as the only two rental car locations in San Pedro (Enterprise and Hertz) are both at the Crowne Plaza.

Both hotels have shuttle to the pier...I believe the Doubletree's shuttles are free...Crowne Plaza has gone back and forth with a small fee (I'd check with the hotel for the current status)...but, as I've mentioned, with rolling luggage, you could even walk to the pier from the CP (I've done it)...

Thanks! The car rental info is especially helpful as we will probably be renting a car one way and dropping it at Enterprise or Hertz (the 2 companies I have business relationships with). A couple of times DH has dropped me (and sometimes kids) and the luggage at the port and then walking back on his own or taking the shuttle. It has worked well at other ports, so that may be our plan here too. I'm just waiting for airfare to come out so that we can figure out which airport we will be coming in to.

Thanks! The car rental info is especially helpful as we will probably be renting a car one way and dropping it at Enterprise or Hertz (the 2 companies I have business relationships with). A couple of times DH has dropped me (and sometimes kids) and the luggage at the port and then walking back on his own or taking the shuttle. It has worked well at other ports, so that may be our plan here too. I'm just waiting for airfare to come out so that we can figure out which airport we will be coming in to.

We had a bad experience with the Enterprise office at the pier. Because the shuttle was full an agent drove us to the pier in the car we were returning. Apparently he let the parking lot gate hit the top of the car on his way out, and we were charged $1400 for damages. We checked the car thoroughly at the beginning and end of the rental, and there was no damage at that point. We even had an agent check it in as we returned it, and no damage was noted. It took a couple of months, but the charges were dropped. There are many other rental companies that we've used over the years with no issues. That was our last time with Enterprise.

We had a bad experience with the Enterprise office at the pier. Because the shuttle was full an agent drove us to the pier in the car we were returning. Apparently he let the parking lot gate hit the top of the car on his way out, and we were charged $1400 for damages. We checked the car thoroughly at the beginning and end of the rental, and there was no damage at that point. We even had an agent check it in as we returned it, and no damage was noted. It took a couple of months, but the charges were dropped. There are many other rental companies that we've used over the years with no issues. That was our last time with Enterprise.

That is good to know. I had Hertz pull a stunt like that once too. It is such a pain to waste time fighting something like that.

When did you have this problem?

• 5 months later...
If we were to stay at the Doubletree is there anywhere to explore close by? We will not have a car.

It's located on a quiet small boat marina so there isn't much near it. I've read they'll take you to restaurants or markets that aren't too far away. I would call the hotel directly to confirm if that's an option.

We've enjoyed the 22nd Street Landing Seafood Grill & Bar several times & Google Maps shows it as a 16 minute, .8 mile walk.

http://22ndstlandingrestaurant.com

The Crown Plaza hotel is closer to the World Cruise Terminal (.8 mile vs 2.6 mile to Doubletree) and has more options to eat & drink close to the hotel.

Posts #3 & #10 by Bruin Steve have a lot of useful information for San Pedro.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have stayed at both the Crown Plaza and the Double Tree Inn over the years. The CP is ok but it is just another downtown hotel. The DTI is our fave, it's in a park like setting overlooking the LA Yacht Club and if you get a room facing the yacht club the sunrise can be outstanding....IOP it is a classic California setting. As of January the would shuttle you free within 5 miles of the hotel, the CP no longer does this and charges for a transfer to the cruise terminal.

We have stayed at both the Crown Plaza and. . . . ., the CP no longer does this and charges for a transfer to the cruise terminal.

They DO NOT charge for a transfer to the cruise terminal. They require a "ticket" which they give you (free) when you register at the hotel. We have stayed there for the last 5 or 6 years and have never paid!

the CP no longer does this and charges for a transfer to the cruise terminal.

For January the CP's Park & Sail package includes free shuttle to & from the port like 'slomotion' posted.

Rate Description: Package includes Full Breakfast Buffet for two, Welcome House Drinks for two and valet parking up to 15 days shuttle transportation to and from cruiseterminal.breakfast is not included for children. extra parking 10.00 per day Park and Sail Package is good for two persons only?

They DO NOT charge for a transfer to the cruise terminal. They require a "ticket" which they give you (free) when you register at the hotel. We have stayed there for the last 5 or 6 years and have never paid!
Edited by Astro Flyer

I have not stayed at the CP recently but it is my understanding from others that they do charge for the transfer unless as you have correctly pointed out, you book a package.

Slo Mo....... When I have stayed at a CP in New Jersey, they loaded my scooter on their vehicle that took us to the ship--- will they do that in San Pedro . I think I will be able to get my own to the west coast instead of renting one on the ship. I assume that the airport will have transportation available to get it to the hotel.

Glenn

I assume that the airport will have transportation available to get it to the hotel.

Don't just assume that you'll have appropriate transportation from the airport (I am assuming LAX). If I were you, I would make sure to communicate with a shuttle company and arrange for this ahead of time. I believe most of the major shuttle companies have vans that are specially equipped for this (I know we were once on a Roadrunner Shuttle that was fitted out for handicaps including having a lift to load scooters and such in the rear). But, most of the regular shuttles are merely 7 or 8 passenger vans with just enough room for the appropriate luggage in the back. So, definitely arrange for this ahead of time.

As to the hotel shuttle from the CP, I would call them to be certain, BUT, if not, you could always send the luggage on the van with whoever is with you (and they could return or not) and then just ride the scooter to the ship...It is really not a long distance--about four blocks or so...about .7 miles, all flat, one major signalized street to cross, then just along the waterfront...

If we were to stay at the Doubletree is there anywhere to explore close by? We will not have a car.

We haven't stayed there yet, but I've been researching the area for our trip. On Google maps, it is a .9 mile walk to the Cabrillo Marine Museum. There is beach and pier right at the same place.

It also looks like there is some sort of small park near the hotel. I guess it just depends on how much time you have and how much you want to do.