bingosue

bingosue

hi my sister helped me to get on here.i am abit unsure about a cruise as i get sea sick i no everyone has told me i wont but cant help the way i feel.but also a little excited.can anyone give me any tips as what to expect on my first cruise.thanks

If you get motion sickness easily, you are advised to bring Bonine or Dramamine...something to control it! You may have very smooth seas, but then, you might not! No matter how big the ship, it's still floating on the ocean...and if it's choppy, you will feel it!

The ship will usually have green apples on the buffet, if you feel a bit queasy eat one of these, it will help offset the acid in your stomach. Also a natural remedy would be to eat candied ginger pieces, it will help as well.

Get up outside on deck and look at the horizon, and if the ship has a promenade deck go for walks! You will feel like just laying down, but you have to get up and work on getting your sea legs.

I hope you have a really great cruise, it really does become addictive.

If you are feeling queasy don't retreat to your cabin , especially if it is Inside .

That is a sure way to get sea sick quickly.

Walk the ship ,outside decks preferably .

Of course you did take your motion medications before sailing , correct?

hi my sister helped me to get on here.i am abit unsure about a cruise as i get sea sick i no everyone has told me i wont but cant help the way i feel.but also a little excited.can anyone give me any tips as what to expect on my first cruise.thanks

If you have not been on a large cruise ship you may find that your sensitivity to ship motion is less than what is experienced in cars and small boats. But it only makes sense to be prepared for the worst.

It is a good good idea to talk with your family doctor about appropriate solutions to motion induced nausea, especially if you have any medical conditions and/or are taking any medications .

Common prevention approaches include: Scopolamine patch, meclizine (bonnie) pills, Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine/Gravol), ginger (tablets, candy, candied, tea), Sea-Band wrist cuffs.

Some of these require prescriptions. Some are only available in certain jurisdictions.

Edited by broberts

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Green apples and ginger do help most people.

But you really should talk to your family doctor as to what he thinks will work for you. Not everyone can take the same sea sickness medications and he knows you better than we do. He knows what medications, if any, you are taking.

Don't let your fear of motion sickness keep you from cruising. I get more motion sick than anyone I know. I drive everywhere I go - I can't even make it 6 miles to church with my husband driving.

I take Dramamine LESS DROWSY. I take 1/2 tablet each day and begin a day before we leave. I'm not a tiny person and 1/2 works perfectly for me.

When were you seasick...on small boats? or perhaps Channel Ferries? A cruise ship is very different to these, especially the flat bottomed ferries.

Have a word at your Health centre, who'll have your records, and know what medicines you're taking.

The usual pills from the chemist are Stugeron, or Kwells, but they may have their own brand- I believe some take Boots own.

Although not many seem to suffer on cruise ships, if the worst happened, you can buy an injection from the doctor on board.

My ex-husband was prone to seasickness and he would never have made it through a cruise without Bonine! He started taking it a day or two before we sailed to get ready. :o DD inherited his motion sickness, but she prefers to use Sea Bands. These days, she wears the Sea Bands for only the first couple days of a cruise and then presses on the pressure points as needed. As others have said, talk with your doctor to get his or her suggestions on what may work for you! And, have fun!