Totally confused about drinks package Royal Caribbean

maxx

Hi all

It seems the more I read the more confused I become. To purchase online or on board? We have OBC so I am leaning towards purchasing on board but I am totally confused about gratuity...is there an additional cost for this if I purchase on board, or does it work out the same? Have I confused anyone yet? Some posts indicate it will be an additional 18% if I purchase on board.

I think the big wet is flooding my brain, can't get my head around this.

Thanks to the brain trusts out there.

Cheers

Maxx

Actually there has been a thread on the RCCL board, where they have been charged an additional 18% gratuity to the published rates if booked onboard. When comparing terms and conditions it does seem that the price onboard is plus gratuity. Of course it seems to be only happening on some ships :rolleyes:

It has made me wonder whether I should buy beforehand....

Just cruised Voyager and Explorer, drinks packages purchased onboard include the gratuity.

The Premium package was $57USD onboard inlcuding gratuity, if you have OBC in USD this is the way to go, buy onboard.

I think it was $72AUD to purchase online.

If you don't have OBC in USD I believe it works out better to purchase online by the time your CC converts it.

Chez

We were in voyager in November and the grats where in the price when purchased on board....if you have obc do the purchase on board...I did ours preordered and sil did theirs on board as they had obc and the cost was the same

Thanks for the replies. I will buy on board. Some of the posts I have read were confusing.

That's because a lot of people seem to post when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Or they'll post on a RCCL question, but e talking about what happens in some other line.

And when grats get involved.... Oh boy.

That's because a lot of people seem to post when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Or they'll post on a RCCL question, but e talking about what happens in some other line.

And when grats get involved.... Oh boy.

Very true. What is posted on some of the threads is just not correct at times. Whether they are mistaken, ignorant or just stirring is hard to know.

We have always seen on RCI sailings out of Aus that the 18% is included in the price (it was 15% but then it went up across the fleet). It may differ when some ships sail from some other countries.

Edited by goodycruising

Very true. What is posted on some of the threads is just not correct at times. Whether they are mistaken, ignorant or just stirring is hard to know.

We have always seen on RCI sailings out of Aus that the 18% is included in the price (it was 15% but then it went up across the fleet). It may differ when some ships sail from some other countries.

Our recent experience on Celebrity (also owned by RCL) is that if you buy before sailing the 18% gratuity is added at the checkout. If you buy on board the 18% is also added on. Either way you will still pay the additional gratuities (18%) so no savings to be made there. Only difference will be whether to lock in an AUD price by purchasing pre sailing or take your chance with USD conversions post sailing but having access to OBC to defray the cost.

We recently pre-paid for our drinks packages.

1x Premium at AUD$73 per day (= about $53.30 USD on todays xe.com rate)

1 x Ultimate at AUD $86 per day (= about $60.50).

I think we were better off pre-paying than buying on board (unless you have OBC to burn which we don't this time).

I think we were better off pre-paying than buying on board (unless you have OBC to burn which we don't this time).

Sounds like you got very good deals on those packages. When we cruised on Rhapsody in March they were US $57 and $67 respectively.

We are on the same cruise and I've sat pondering whether I should buy a package tonight. It is definitely a better exchange rate pre buying at the moment.

gogo, that's why I decided to prebook the package now rather than on board as the $ is supposed to be going lower than it already is...yesterday the rate was under 70cents! So I'm figuring that the price on board will be the same but by the time our exchange rate hits it, it will be dearer in A$

I think a lot is because people will see a question and not pay attention to wha line it is, then answer assuming the wrong line.

Or even the wrong location.

Ummed & arghed about getting drinks package for months before my recent cruise on Explorer. Decided not to get it as I thought I probably won't drink too hard EVERYDAY, and also took into account port days. So I'm on board for 5 minutes in the windjammer when a cute Romanian drinks salesperson comes up to me & sells the the premium drinks package to me with little fight from me....

What I enjoyed most about getting the package was not having to sign after each drink, and feeling obliged to tip. The only downside was when the missus also wanted a drink, then I had to sign still. The other downside was I used my $600 OBC right away on the drinks... Or is that an upside [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

we cruised on the Voyager in April this year. We purchased the Ultimate Drink package through the cruise Planner for $43 AUD, I advise you check every day as the same deal went up a day later to $52 AUD.

I was shocked when we got on board to find the same package at $65USD we had ourselves a bargain. The four couples we were travelling had all done the same.

Next time around we will try to pre buy again .

• 6 months later...
we cruised on the Voyager in April this year. We purchased the Ultimate Drink package through the cruise Planner for $43 AUD, I advise you check every day as the same deal went up a day later to $52 AUD.

I was shocked when we got on board to find the same package at $65USD we had ourselves a bargain. The four couples we were travelling had all done the same.

Next time around we will try to pre buy again .

Have just checked our cruise planner and it states they are offering 20% off drinks packages. The Premium Beverages Package is *from $69.05 AU but nowhere does it state if that is before or after the 20% discount :confused:

Can anyone shed any light on this?