Formal night Issue

Rainbowfalls

So I have ran into a small small issue. We leave in two weeks (a ton of time I know) but I do not have anything to wear for formal night. well I have tops but no bottoms.

Unfortunately because my work changed our uniform policey and I had no reason for it I threw out all my dress pants. I have no need for dress pants besides this one night so I do not feel like going out to buy any. Nor do I own a single dress..shocking I know but I hate them lol.

I do have a pair of dark wash jeans they almost look like trouser pants but with a flare bottom that I could wear. so my question is do you think it would be acceptable to wear trouser like jeans and a nice formal top (white sparkly sweater) or what would you do?

Has anyone wore dark jeans and been ok? btw it's carnival sensation so I dont think they will be as picky as the larger ships or other cruise lines if this helps any..I just dont want to get turned away at the door ..

• 2 months later...
First time cruiser here. Princess to Alaska. Just bought LBD. Keep it or return? Any suggestions for formal night? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My sister sails on Princess & she always wears dresses - not gowns but cocktail length dresses (sometimes they're day dresses).

Do you enjoy dressing up? Would you wear it for other functions? If so, keep it. On every cruise line there are those who are dressier than others, and those who are much more casual. I prefer to side on the dressier side. You'll never get an odd look for being more elegantly dressed :)

Edited by JanineM

First time cruiser here. Princess to Alaska. Just bought LBD. Keep it or return? Any suggestions for formal night? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Keep it. One dress, different accessories.

Could wear anything. Jewelry, shrug/wrapper/other flowy thing, scarves, possibilities are endless.

A while ago there was a thread about this. One gal wore different flowy, sparkly, lightweight 'jacket' every night.

Search for 'how to wear a LBD' on YouTube. Lots of videos pop up.

Edited by SadieN

Nothing more versatile than a little black dress. Dress it up, dress it down, wear it "as is" - you can easily have a week's worth of looks from the one dress.

Personally I'm not a fan of the little black dress. You're just one in a sea of other little black dresses. Any solid color, even red, can be changed by accessories and you won't look like everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...
Personally I'm not a fan of the little black dress. You're just one in a sea of other little black dresses. Any solid color, even red, can be changed by accessories and you won't look like everyone else.

I agree. It's the fabric that makes any garment travel well, or not. So, why not get some color going?

Depends on whether or not you want to be a peacock in a sea of black swans ;)

If you take 1 black dress and just change the accessories, those who think it is important will not notice a black dress and different accessories. but, if you take another color that will be a minority color, those who think it is important may notice that you are recycling that dress a second or third time…

Depends on whether or not you want to be a peacock in a sea of black swans ;)

If you take 1 black dress and just change the accessories, those who think it is important will not notice a black dress and different accessories. but, if you take another color that will be a minority color, those who think it is important may notice that you are recycling that dress a second or third time…

I do a variation of this. I prefer to wear formal pantsuits on cruises, so I have to 3-piece outfits: one in pale aqua, and one in champagne. I bought both of them on ebay. I have alternate jackets for both of them, so I can wear the same tank and pants, but have a totally different look with another jacket.

So I have ran into a small small issue. We leave in two weeks (a ton of time I know) but I do not have anything to wear for formal night. well I have tops but no bottoms.

Unfortunately because my work changed our uniform policey and I had no reason for it I threw out all my dress pants. I have no need for dress pants besides this one night so I do not feel like going out to buy any. Nor do I own a single dress..shocking I know but I hate them lol.

I do have a pair of dark wash jeans they almost look like trouser pants but with a flare bottom that I could wear. so my question is do you think it would be acceptable to wear trouser like jeans and a nice formal top (white sparkly sweater) or what would you do?

Has anyone wore dark jeans and been ok? btw it's carnival sensation so I dont think they will be as picky as the larger ships or other cruise lines if this helps any..I just dont want to get turned away at the door ..

I was on the Sensation in February and wore jeans, no problem.

I'm with you. Unless I wear something white near my face black tends to make me look tired. For years I had a simple but elegant red knit dress that traveled exceptionally well. A Chanel look alike chain belt with a bit of blousing, gold earrings and and knock out black heels was night one, Night two was a scarf I found for a steal in NYC that I would twist length wise and then place the middle at front waist, pull it around back and then tie it just slightly to one side in front again. Same black shies and a yellow gold necklace to go with the earrings made a terrific second look. If I had to do a third night I would just let the dress hang naurally, wear sandals or flats and add some boho jewelry. I think if anyone noticed the dress it was to think I look great in red.