Watching TV on the Ship

bshow

The recent thread about headphone jacks on the TV got me thinking. I have been on a number of cruises, and I know for a fact that I have never watched TV on the ship.

There is usually some welcome aboard stuff playing when you enter your stateroom. I switch it off and it never comes on again. I would be fine if there was no TV.

I cruised on a large ship on another line a few years ago. In the morning, they would play the insufferable Today Show and the nearly-as-insufferable cruise director program on a giant screen over the lido deck. I resolved to avoid that type of ship in the future, because I enjoy the lido area.

So I'm curious: do you all watch TV on the ship? I suppose I'm the oddball, but there may be one or two who do the same...

I watch it most nights as we sort out the next day and just lie in bed having a bit of a cuddle, but then I'm one of those who like some background noise no matter what I am doing.

We watch the overseas news and occasionally a movie and the bow/stern cameras. For the older ships and longer cruises, we sometimes have brought a DVD series to watch. "Pacific" was the last series we did that with.

On the NAD, ED, and KD we really miss the replay of the lectures.

The recent thread about headphone jacks on the TV got me thinking. I have been on a number of cruises, and I know for a fact that I have never watched TV on the ship.

There is usually some welcome aboard stuff playing when you enter your stateroom. I switch it off and it never comes on again. I would be fine if there was no TV.

I cruised on a large ship on another line a few years ago. In the morning, they would play the insufferable Today Show and the nearly-as-insufferable cruise director program on a giant screen over the lido deck. I resolved to avoid that type of ship in the future, because I enjoy the lido area.

So I'm curious: do you all watch TV on the ship? I suppose I'm the oddball, but there may be one or two who do the same...

We often have FOX news playing in the background. It's nice to remember that there is still the rest of the world out there.

And oh yes, since they show the theater movies the next day, we occasionally watch a movie if our friends tell us it was particularly good.

Scott & Karen

Yes. We frequently take long cruises and want to keep informed. Distinctly remember being on a ship when Scully landed in the Hudson. We also were 60 miles from Haiti when the earthquake happened. Glad the TV was on in the background.

This November, we will be on the Eurodam during the election and the Westerdam during the inauguration. Can't imagine missing a minute of the results. I remember suggesting repeatedly they have Fox available. So glad they listened in Seattle.

Switched it on for the first time ever on our last cruise ... I'd been watching a movie by the pool on the Koningsdam but was being driven mad by a group of unsupervised and very obnoxious kids ... Finished off watching the movie in the cabin before I lost my temper ...

Other than that incident I don't use it ... Hubby does occasionally but knows to switch it off when I arrive as I'm not much good with random noise

On our very 1st cruise on June 4, 1989, we discovered CNN and watced the Tiannamen Square Massacre for hours. It was a sea day and we were so horrified/revolted/fascinated by what we saw that we never left the cabin or turned off the t.v. until it was time to go to dinner.

Since then I try to catch a newscast every day and sometimes watch the ships channel talking about shore excursions.

At times I wish we didn't have a TV. One 2 week cruise is when we heard of the massacre in the movie theater. Last year another 2 week cruise and we heard and we were glued to TV in regards to the San Bernardino massacre which was 10 minutes from our house. I

Only hoping no more tragedies on our trip next month:(

We enjoy the TV on softly in the background when we're in the cabin - most often the channel with the current conditions and/or map of the route. We check into FOX news periodically for US/world news headlines. DH can normally find his sports scores somewhere on the tube. :)

DH likes to nap in the afternoon on sea days and a tv channel with music playing drowns out any other misc noise.

By no means does the tv keep us in the cabin but we like it as an addition to the cruise.

Interesting that such a yes-no issue generates so many comments. In my mind, it is simple, want to watch - turn it on, don't want to watch - turn it off. Simple and completely under your control in your cabin. So many things are not that simple nor under your control (ex: smoking on neighbors veranda, chair hogs, ...)

Our TV viewing on cruises is generally:

1) Navigation Channel (always like to see our course)

2) Bow/Stern Cameras

3) Port/Excursion lectures, we often miss these on the first go around as we will be doing something else.

4) Occasional Movies that we either missed in the theaters or did not want to pay to watch in theater

5) News channels (often on just as noise in the mornings or while we get ready for dinner)

Interesting that such a yes-no issue generates so many comments. In my mind, it is simple, want to watch - turn it on, don't want to watch - turn it off. Simple and completely under your control in your cabin. So many things are not that simple nor under your control (ex: smoking on neighbors veranda, chair hogs, ...)

Absolutely!

Finding drama and making it a debate topic for no reason at all, IMHO:)

With the usual FOX News, CNBC, MSNBC included, I do try to watch ESPN when the ship could get the signal (surprisingly the Maasdam has no ESPN 2, just the HAL screen). NFL is hit or miss, but Maasdam has the Sunday games, the MNF game, and the Thursday night game (last week had the CBS feed, but tonight was a clean feed with no commercials, which is weird).